Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2014, 07:26   #16
Senior Member+

Re: Frank Randle

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPastry View Post
Bob actually the Blackpool pilot refused to take off with Frank and the offending bog rolls.
In that case - who was piloting the plane from which he did drop the bog rolls - or is that a myth?
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-08-2014, 08:50   #17
Senior Member+

I was looking for information regarding "Over the garden wall " an old variety act in the 40's, Ethel Manners, part of the act, lived two doors from me in Walsden and when we had a holiday in Southport she invited us back stage to meet the other "stars".
I cannot for the life of me remember the man in the act, anyway while searching I came across the little snippet.

Frank Randle,once bombarded Blackpool from an aeroplane with toilet rolls (according to an episode of Rude Britannia, broadcast by the BBC on 15 June 2010, the toilet roll bombardment actually took place over Accrington, not Blackpool). Randle's police charge sheet is lodged with the Lancashire Constabulary collection, cared for by Lancashire County Museums.

Similarly, when the new-wave comedians of the late Seventies first let fly their four- letter expletives, they never knew the debt they owed to dangerous Frank Randle. Barred from club after club in the 1940s for use of blue language, Frank thought he'd stumbled on a foolproof way to swear on stage without winding up the management. First he would write 'F' on a blackboard, and his stooge would say, 'Why d'you write 'K' up there?'. Frank would reply, 'Why is it every time I write 'F', you see 'K' '. For that he was thrown out of the theatre at Blackpool and barred for an entire summer season. Frank was so annoyed, he hired a plane and bombed Blackpool Tower with toilet rolls.

edit:
I just found what I was looking for, it was Norman Evans who did the "Over the garden wall" comedy act.

Take your pick which is correct, Accrington or Blackpool, Wikipedia is not 100% reliable.
He died in Blackpool of gastroenteritis in 1957 and is buried in Carleton Cemetery, Blackpool.

Last edited by Gremlin; 07-08-2014 at 08:53.
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:02   #18
Senior Member+

I'm putting a grand on it being Blackpool. I speak from memory - I deposited a document on behalf of the Chief Constable with Lancashire Archives. It was his list of previous convictions, which is different from a charge sheet.....There is a blue plaque on North Pier to commemorate Frank's association with Blackpool
Old 07-08-2014, 10:15   #19
Senior Member+

I have a few relatives living in Poulton le Fylde, I lived there for a while, and the the ones who have since passed away are all either buried or cremated at the Carleton Cemetery.
It's not often I visit but next time I will look for Frank Randle's grave and see what it says on it it.

As I wrote above, Wikipedia is not 100% accurate and things may be put on which are just hearsay. Why he should bombard Accrington when he was upset with Blackpool is a mystery and probably an old myth.
Old 07-08-2014, 11:33   #20
Senior Member+

Whoever wrote the piece was confused. He did have an association with Accrington towards the end of his life in that he leased the Hippodrome. At that time he lived in a caravan behind the Red Lion at Green Haworth and supped in the pubs in King Street
Old 07-07-2016, 13:49   #21

I'll hang this post on here as on........

Saturday 9th July 2016 it will be the 10th FRANK RANDLE DAY in sunny Blackpool where a gathering of fans annually come together to celebrate and remember a Lancashire comic genius.

Day starts 12 mid day at Carelton Cemetery Blackpool visiting his grave
Into Blackpool sea front 1:15pm Albert and the Lion for lunch
Into the Pump and Truncheon opposite the market where Frank used to regularly drink
3:30pm onto the north pier for fans train ride and visiting the blue plaque etc.

A friendly and daft gathering we have been attending for 10 years now.

Gerroff me foot!
Old 07-07-2016, 18:59   #22
Senior Member+

The Pump & Truncheon is nowhere near the market. It is close by the Central Police Station.(Hence the name) Nowt in the Blackpool Gazette so far this week. In Randle's time, the Pump & Truncheon was the' Brunswick'
Old 07-07-2016, 19:06   #23
Full Member+

What a wonderful idea. I never knew about it. I love Frank. I once saw a play called Randle's Scandals at the Grand theatre in Blackpool and Frank was portrayed by Keith Clifford who at one time was in Last of the Summer Wine and he was superb. I have several of Frank's films on dvd and love them. My favourite gag of his when he is the old rambler ' I'm 82...Id hav been 83 but me fatha wer shy.' In the play he was in the dock for the toilet roll stunt. He also demolished the front of the Central Pier in a car because of some dispute with the council. He had a run in with George Formby's wife too when his name was top of the bill at the Opera House and she thought George should have been.He was certainly a rebel but to me he was a comic genius even if he did 'sup some stuff.'
Rowlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 19:12   #24
Full Member+

A good book to read for Frank fans is 'Wired to the Moon.' by Philip Martin Williams. It is available on Amazon
Old 11-07-2016, 10:02   #25

Interesting reading :-)

The day went off very well once again with the usual larking and Frank quotes throughout the day which are always enjoyable. Frank used to be a regular in The Pump & Truncheon renamed and we have archived stories as knew the owners family from way back who used to drink with him.

Anyone interested you will find a wealth of Franks films on DVD including
Holidays With Pay
It's a Grand Life
School For Randle
When you come home
Frank Randle Triple Bill (Somewhere on leave/Camp/Home Sweet Home)
Somewhere in England/Somewhere in Civvies (Double disc set rarer)

If you have never seen a Frank Randle film and fancy one I would recommend 'Holidays With Pay' as it also contains some great scenes filmed in a 1952 Blackpool also filmed from the air.

Happy days!
Old 11-07-2016, 12:43   #26
Full Member+

Glad the day went well Mr Pastry. Bet there were plenty of laughs as you cannot talk about Frank without a smile on your face. My favourite film is Somewhere on Leave. I love the bit where he tries going up the stairs when he's blind drunk and he asks the Venus like statue ' Hast e bin feighting love ?' I am delighted to hear he still has a loyal following he certainly deserves it.
Old 11-07-2016, 18:23   #27
Senior Member+

Is there a Frank Randle Society, Mr Pastry ? I didn't see anything in the Blackpool Gazette about the day.
Old 12-07-2016, 06:51   #28

Hi Bob. We do in as much as it is very casual and does not involve paying a subscription just a small group of friendly people who help keep Franks lifes work alive and his comic genius. We meet once a year in July as near to the day he went on a permanent hike upstairs. We do sometimes meet towards Christmas to catch up at a suitable location. As next year will be the 60th anniversary of his passing it is quite likely we will be making more of Frank Randle Day possibly a film evening as well.
Old 12-07-2016, 07:43   #29
Senior Member+

I will PM you, Mr Pastry - a pal of mine may well be interested in joining you. I rather fancy the film evening. The Regent Cinema in Blackpool has just re-opened - I'm sure the management will welcome you .
Old 12-07-2016, 19:39   #30
Full Member+

I would be interested in next years special day. Please let me know where and when Mr Pastry.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..