Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2007, 09:44   #1
Senior Member+

Gamblers Caves

when i was a kid my sister always used to take me to the caves, and today i was messing about on google earth looking for it because when i was passing along the motorway i saw a large hill at the side and i ask my mum what it was and she said it was gamblers caves however i have always been took to one with only one lake not the double one.so which one is it
Nickelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-04-2007, 09:49   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Gamblers Caves

Nickelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 10:48   #3

Starting from Spire Farm. Go past High Riley Cottages, either dash across the bypass or use the underpass and continue by Blue Slates Farm to the Reservoir. My memory can now only recall that the Gambler`s cave was just beyond the res. on the right hand side.
Owd Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 15:32   #4

Re my earlier posting. The reservoir I mentioned was generally known as Hameldon Res and a mile or so away towards Stone Fold was Mitchell`s Reservoir. Also my wife, who lived in one of the High Riley Cottages, pointed out that Blue Slates wasn`t a Farm, just a couple of cottages.
Owd Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 16:14   #5
Full Member+

The caves are now gone, they are being quarried for stone, unfortunatly
Old 07-04-2007, 12:30   #6
Resting in Peace

I used to go there as a kid and seem to remember lots of spent cartridges on the ground around this area. They were orange in colour, cylindrical approx. 2" long, maybe 3/4" diameter, with brass ends. We used to collect them, for what .. no idea. Was there some sort of shooting practice going on up there ?

Liked to fantasize that maybe they were left over from the Home Guard during the war... good job there was nowt there with a pin at the top.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 14:36   #7
Beacon of light

Katex......I think it was used at times by the army for shooting practice.
I know my brothers once came home with a load of spent cartridges and my dad went light.(wondered where they had got them from)
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 15:24   #8
Resident Waffler

We used to find things from air rifles. Kids used to shoot imaginary 'injuns' up there too.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 16:44   #9

The Gamblers Caves had indeed been covered over with the quarry work that had been going on there. I was up there only the other day. Saturday to be exact. I was very suprised to see that the caves have been exposed again. Although they have been left in such an extreamely dangerous state.
I would urge anyone to keep well away from them. Im sure it is just a matter of time before someone is killed up there.
I have reported this matter to the council
disco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2007, 09:00   #10

Another piece of information about the caves is that the quarry was originally opened up soley for the purpose of building the Accrington Town Hall. After this was built the quarry was then closed down and not quarried again until it was reopened about six years ago.
disco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2007, 22:44   #11
I am Banned

Those orange things approx 2" long and 3/4" diam are spent 12 bore cartridges. Probably some of them are mine. There was no military range there, that was over on what was Hambledon Rifle Range, off Burnley Rd Hapton, that was closed closed down durying the early 1960's, loads of rocks had slide down behind the butts, and there were too many richocets for safety.

Retlaw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
I used to go there as a kid and seem to remember lots of spent cartridges on the ground around this area. They were orange in colour, cylindrical approx. 2" long, maybe 3/4" diameter, with brass ends. We used to collect them, for what .. no idea. Was there some sort of shooting practice going on up there ?

Liked to fantasize that maybe they were left over from the Home Guard during the war... good job there was nowt there with a pin at the top.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2008, 13:52   #12

I work up at mitchell house quarry,and yes the caves are exposed .We are doing exploration work at the moment at the quarry.We do advise people to stay away from the area incase of any accidents,the work going on will soon make the site completly safe.We are very aware of health and safety issues and apologize for causing any illfeeling
Quote:
Originally Posted by disco View Post
The Gamblers Caves had indeed been covered over with the quarry work that had been going on there. I was up there only the other day. Saturday to be exact. I was very suprised to see that the caves have been exposed again. Although they have been left in such an extreamely dangerous state.
I would urge anyone to keep well away from them. Im sure it is just a matter of time before someone is killed up there.
I have reported this matter to the council
donnaford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2008, 14:08   #13
I am Banned

They were spent 12 bore shotgun cartridges.
Probably some of mine. I want them back.
Only kidding, they can be used in the garden.
put them on top of canes to stop you poking
your eyes out, they also make good earwig traps
Retlaw.

Sorry I've just realised I've already replied to this once.
don't seem to be ble to cancel it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post

Last edited by Retlaw; 23-02-2008 at 14:14.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2008, 14:19   #14
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
They were spent 12 bore shotgun cartridges.
Probably some of mine. I want them back.
Only kidding, they can be used in the garden.
put them on top of canes to stop you poking
your eyes out, they also make good earwig traps
Retlaw.

Sorry I've just realised I've already replied to this once.
don't seem to be ble to cancel it.
Ah, but last time you didn't have these suggestions of what to do with them ! Can't say I used them for earwig traps though or a cane..

Wonder if any still up there though ?

Guess you were one of our first litter louts Retlaw ....
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 21:29   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnaford View Post
I work up at mitchell house quarry,and yes the caves are exposed .We are doing exploration work at the moment at the quarry.We do advise people to stay away from the area incase of any accidents,the work going on will soon make the site completly safe.We are very aware of health and safety issues and apologize for causing any illfeeling
couple of years late for this post, but used to dream about what these caves looked like as a kid, when I went back up a couple of years back I was gutted to see the area destroyed by the quarrying
jragar is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..