Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2005, 22:17   #1
Clearly Classy.......

Gas Fires?

Does anyone know if you can put gas logs onto a living flame fire that has coals on at the moment, I want to change the coals for logs. I know you can buy them but don't know the safety implications of changing them.

I will check with a reputable company before i go ahead, I just wondered if anyone knew off the top of their head.

Thanks in advance

Romps

My Gallery My Albums

Last edited by Romps; 05-10-2005 at 22:21.
Romps is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-10-2005, 23:02   #2
God Member

Re: Gas Fires?

usually the answer would be yes but the best people to check with are the manufacturer of the fire. The other important thing to remember is that they are laid correctly so that the flow of air/gas is correct so not to cause a build up of carbon monoxide which is usually indicated by sooting, hope that helps

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 09:56   #3
Clearly Classy.......

fanks darlin' much appreciated!

My Gallery My Albums
Old 08-10-2005, 16:09   #4
Senior Member+

you can but you have to get the correct matrix for them to sit on - the matrix is the bit that sits on top of the burner that your coals sit in - obviously a log matrix has log type shape indentations for th logs to sit in safely and correctly - and as the poster above has said - you have to do it properly to allow the correct flow of gas and air movement - when you buy your logs you will get the correct matrix in the box - the price is roughly 50 quid or so.
glasgow guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 19:00   #5
Clearly Classy.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasgow guy
you can but you have to get the correct matrix for them to sit on - the matrix is the bit that sits on top of the burner that your coals sit in - obviously a log matrix has log type shape indentations for th logs to sit in safely and correctly - and as the poster above has said - you have to do it properly to allow the correct flow of gas and air movement - when you buy your logs you will get the correct matrix in the box - the price is roughly 50 quid or so.
Thanks for that....much appreciated.

My Gallery My Albums
Old 13-10-2005, 16:43   #6
God Member

So Romps have you decided on what you are going to do???

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 17:17   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romps View Post
Does anyone know if you can put gas logs onto a living flame fire that has coals on at the moment, I want to change the coals for logs. I know you can buy them but don't know the safety implications of changing them.

I will check with a reputable company before i go ahead, I just wondered if anyone knew off the top of their head.

Thanks in advance

Romps
Some fires accept coals, logs or pebbles, they are very specific to the fire and in some cases the underbed has to be changed also, ask Hughie at Hecas (next to Asda) electricity street, you will need as much info off the fire as possible, tell Hughie Derek sent you, be prepared, coals and sets cost a lot, £100 is common.
derekgas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 17:59   #8
Senior Member+

just rip it out and have a real one, best thing i ever did
churchfcrules is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..