Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-07-2003, 10:28   #1

Post Ghosts and haunted buildings.

Hello everyone! I am doing some research on ghosts in Lancashire and I am wondering if anyone here can share ghost stories from Accrington or let me know of possible haunted buildings. Anything will be appreciated. Also does anyone remember about 10 years ago on Radio Lancashire there used to be a local guy reading out local ghost stories some of which he investigated. I think it used to be on about 9 o clock pm. Does anyone know his name?
scarey is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-07-2003, 19:54   #2
june

Post Re: Ghosts and haunted buildings.

Hi I wonder if its the gentleman who lives on Queen Elizabeth Cresent, called Stephen ....... - he has just recently had a book published - will try and find out more for you
June
Old 07-09-2003, 00:54   #3
g78

Hey there.................... I remember that the old cinema on Broadway (where JJB now stands) used to be haunted.............. on the upper levels if I remember rightly................It was in a ghost book I once read, twas a long time ago now so can't remember the name....... sorry
Old 07-09-2003, 02:01   #4
Caz
God Member

Not a ghost story, but does anyone remember when they pulled down the Ambulance Drill Hall.?
They thought they'd found some remains?
Turned out it was the skeleton used by St John Ambulance! stupid or what!  ;D

I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 08:06   #5
Senior Member+

Go me there bud
Old 10-09-2003, 15:34   #6
Senior Member+

I think Dunkenhaulsh is the main one I heard of,the fabled headless horse man.I think I spelt "Dunkenhaulsh!" wrong... ???
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 16:51   #7

DAD BOUGHT ME A TAPE OF TONY SCHAEFFER WHICH IS A COLLECTION OF GHOST STORIES FROM THE SHPELESS PROGRAMME ON BBC RADIO WOULD THAT BE THE CHAP, OR WAS IT SIMON ENTWISTLE
Siddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 18:20   #8
g78

KestrelX has just reminded me of a story I heard about the Dunkenhalgh that my old english teacher once told.  She once worked there and said that it was haunted by a girl (servant girl) who had killed herself there after becoming pregnant by a 'well to do' man, who had spurned her and told her to leave the house.  She apparently drowned herself??  

I find the whole ghost thing really interesting.  I would love to do one of those ghost hunts and spend a night in a 'supposed' haunted location.  Sort of like that programme 'Most Haunted'.  Good show if you have seen it.
Old 10-09-2003, 18:32   #9
Senior Member+

g78. I think derek acorah was brilliant on most haunted. have you read his autobiography really  good. titled THE PSYCHIC WORLD OF DEREK ACORAH.
Old 10-09-2003, 18:36   #10
g78

I haven't read his autobiography but I think he is one of the best psychic mediums in a long time.  Of course there are people out there that will say he is false and it is all an act but I do believe what he says in genuinely true.  Just hope the new series starts soon.
Old 10-09-2003, 19:34   #11
g78

If anyone is interested a good site for 'ghost' photos is www.ghoststudy.com/gallery

Enjoy  
Old 11-09-2003, 10:37   #12
Senior Member+

will have a look at that g78
Old 11-09-2003, 11:21   #13

Think my house haunted every morning i wake up sure a spook led next to me!

Ooops its ok just my husband! ;D
tracey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2003, 15:42   #14
Junior Member+

I am sorry but Most Haunted is the best comedy programme going. That Derek chap is such a plonker. :..my husband and I just sit there laughing at him the whole way through . Just listen to him the next time he is trying to give a name, he changes his mind about half a dozen times  ???until he gets a positive answer from the presenter. Laughing at him and seeing the eyes on that woman (forgot her name for now) are the only things worth tuning in for.

I am not a sekptic I just think that that program stinks!!
Lesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2003, 15:47   #15
Junior Member+

If you are genuinely interested in ghosts then try ou this site. It is amazing.

You will need to have your volume up loud to hear. It takes a little while so bear with it.

Apparently the owners of this house had been seeing images and hearing voices for quite a while. They did some research and found that a lady once lived in the house who lost her husband during the civil war. Legend says that she used to sit at the table and look across the fields in anticipation of her loved one returning home. He never came!
So, they say she still waits.

They caught this photo (using digital imaging and sound) of what they claim to be her. This one is wild and a little spooky once you find the ghost in the picture. It took me about 20 seconds to find it, but when you do, it just stands out. To save you some time, concentrate around the table and sort of towards the right window. Also, if you have volume, turn it up as you can hear some faint murmuring after a while, which they say is the ghost talking.

Wierd huh!!!!..keep looking you WILL find it.

http://home.attbi.com/~n9ivo/whatswrong.swf

Lesley is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..