Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-04-2013, 16:34   #1
Junior Member+

Question Hagg Lodge

Being an "immigrant" from the south and not knowing too much about the area I was just wondering if anyone knows how hagg lodge is filled/supplied and what is that somewhat large cast iron shaft with a handwheel on that sticks out of the water about 3-4 ft from the bank ( as you go towards the gatty park end ) is/was used for, I've spent a fair while staring at it while fishing there
dogsbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-04-2013, 16:40   #2
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Re: Hagg Lodge

It was put there to give fishermen something to look at so that they wouldn't get bored.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2013, 16:51   #3
Senior Member+

Dunno if there is any truth to it but I was told there was a pipe that went from the hagg lodge to whatever the watery bit was called where kfc/ldl is now and that somehow controlled it. However that was all kids talk from 25-30 years ago
Old 18-04-2013, 17:25   #4
Senior Member+

The lodge was filled by a stream or drain at the North West corner, it must have run under the old Ewbank factory(now Asda?).
The shaft and pipe were to control the outflow to a dye works(Steiners?) just below the lodge bank at the Western End. By the late 40's early 50's the dye works was long gone and the buildings were used by a sheet metal and galvanising company. The shaft and wheel were rusted up even then.
Is that Lidle and KFC where the dye works was(on Google Earth), just before the school?
I would be lost wandering round there now.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2013, 19:02   #5
Senior Member+

I have always thought it was linked to the Ewbank Works, but Gordon may well be right about it being linked to the works on Hyndburn Red ( formerly called Hagg Lane) at the bottom of Owd Bob's. This was Black & White Engineering when I was a lad
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2013, 19:26   #6
Senior Member+

That was it, Bob, Black and White Engineering. They were the old dye works buildings. If you remember they were well below the level of the lodge so the water would run from the lodge into the works.
I spent many happy hours round the lodge, fishing for minnows, sailing little yachts,we lived close by.
I don't remember any other outlet pipes besides the dye lodge one. In fact, the stream coming out from under Ewbank was the only water input I recall.
Old 18-04-2013, 20:02   #7
Senior Member+

Had a feeling the dye works was originally called Hagg works.
Rooting on google-1891 cotton mills in Accrington- F.A Gatty & Co,Turkey Red dyers, Hagg Works, Hyndburn Road.
Mr Gatty must have lived just behind in Gatty Park so he could keep an eye on his workers.
Old 19-04-2013, 13:49   #8
Junior Member+

[QUOTE=Less;1053914]It was put there to give fishermen something to look at so that they wouldn't get bored.
[/QUOTE
He He ! nice one Less, and I must admit on some days you could well be right
Old 19-04-2013, 15:54   #9
Senior Member+

'when i was a lad' we could take our dog for a walk around the lodge... grrr@fishermen(only because I want to go on there and take pics)
Old 19-04-2013, 16:24   #10
Junior Member+

Thanks to everyone who replied to my question,much appreciated, I heard a rumour that the lodge used to be much bigger than it is now taking in what is now asda's and stretching much further back towards the viaduct anyone know if this is true ?
sensas likes this.
Old 19-04-2013, 16:40   #11
Junior Member+

Cool Re: Hagg Lodge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
'when i was a lad' we could take our dog for a walk around the lodge... grrr@fishermen(only because I want to go on there and take pics)
I can see your point restless I used to pretty keen and "out and about" with my camera often(not so much nowadays) but last year the locks were vandalised and so for a short period the gates couldn't be locked, and while fishing one day a "really kind " lady was walking her dog allowed it to donate a REALLY smelly and generous deposit barely five feet from where I sat, by the end of the day it was more than pungent, so I can see both sides of it
Restless likes this.
Old 19-04-2013, 18:34   #12
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsbody View Post
Thanks to everyone who replied to my question,much appreciated, I heard a rumour that the lodge used to be much bigger than it is now taking in what is now asda's and stretching much further back towards the viaduct anyone know if this is true ?
Looking on Google Earth I'd say it's exactly the same size and shape it always was.
If you look at the lie of the land and the boundaries, the river, Milnshaw Park, the rise to Asda, it couldn't be bigger.The west end is a bank/ dam to hold the water for the dye works which was below it's level.
Old 19-04-2013, 18:45   #13
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsbody View Post
No Lodge has been that size always in my lifetime, I worked at Ewbank in mid 60s, which was were Asda now stands.
Old 19-04-2013, 20:30   #14
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
No Lodge has been that size always in my lifetime, I worked at Ewbank in mid 60s, which was were Asda now stands.
Who was the work's nurse at Ewbank then,Cashy?
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2013, 20:35   #15
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
Who was the work's nurse at Ewbank then,Cashy?
No idea mate, never had need fer her, Me Gaffer though was Tony Anderson, Johns Brother. Me mam also worked yon from after the war until it closed.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..