Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree40Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2016, 11:18   #16

Re: Halal butcher?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
What! No black puddings and fried bread!
To be politically correct should that not read, (coloured) puddings and fried bread? Just asking,.

By the way, my good lady is down town at this very moment purchasing some (lean),coloured skinned puddings, (I'm not fond of the fatty ones)..

Your's, Taddy
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-01-2016, 13:38   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
By "tainted" meat I imagine you mean his religion doesn't allow pork products?
No, I mean any sort of meat that I usually eat. I'd have thought that anyone who eats halal meat does so for religious reasons (what other reason could there be?). Therefore any meat not prepared in this way would be classed as tainted to someone with those beliefs. I'm happy to be corrected if it's the wrong word.

I've had a bit of a lucky escape in that the "Jacob's join" for which this was necessary is not now happening. I thought halal meat was just slaughtered, hung and butchered with prayers playing in the background. I didn't know that the animal was killed without being stunned. I won't be offering to cook in the future.

What's galling is that many supermarkets are supplying halal meat without labeling it as such, just because it's cheaper that way.

Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 13:53   #18
Senior Member+

Some Halal accreditors allow stunning, there was something in the Telegraph about it with the Nandos opening in Blackburn.

" Cllr Mulla, a former Blackburn with Darwen Mayor, phoned Nando’s head of customer engagement, David Manly to warn him the London-based Halal Food Authority accreditation used by the company’s suppliers was unacceptable to the LCM.

The HFA allows the stunning of chickens before slaughter, which Cllr Mulla and his organisation believe fails to meet the strict criteria of Islamic law.

The LCM insist on accreditation and inspection by the Leicester-based Halal Monitoring Committee which forbids it. "

Muslim bosses spark halal row over new Blackburn Nando's restaurant (From Lancashire Telegraph)
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 13:56   #19
Beacon of light

If I was contributing to a Jacobs join which had members who needed halal food....I would take crudités and dips.
I have to say that when I worked at QPH we provided a bit of a feast over the Christmas period.....and though food acceptable to Muslims was available, many of the docs would eat anything and everything.
OK this is more than a decade ago.....maybe Muslims are more devout now.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 15:08   #20
Senior Member+

Just go to brown street cash and carry... Best place for it imho
Old 05-01-2016, 20:31   #21
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpick24 View Post
The HFA allows the stunning of chickens before slaughter, which Cllr Mulla and his organisation believe fails to meet the strict criteria of Islamic law.

The LCM insist on accreditation and inspection by the Leicester-based Halal Monitoring Committee which forbids it. "
Stroppy Ethnics! It has to be our way or we won't accept it? What about other folk who don't want to be eating mumbo jumbo muttered meat? All these "western food chains" really should be sticking to their heritage & original customer base, if it doesn't suit Johnny Foreigner, tough! They can always start their own "Chains", Mukta Halalies or Kandahar flamed chicken, endless opportunities for a budding ethnopreneur.
Old 06-01-2016, 09:43   #22
Senior Member+

My own findings from a very short trial at work with our products shows that adding the Halal symbol puts off more people than it attracts.
Old 06-01-2016, 12:16   #23
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
My own findings from a very short trial at work with our products shows that adding the Halal symbol puts off more people than it attracts.
That I can well believe!

We were in Blackburn Market last Sept & there's a scoff corner with cafes/snack bars & the like. There was a "Greeks" selling meatballs in sauce, looked really nice too, about to order a couple of portions, looked around at the clientèle then looked again at the menu, top of the list, not overly largely written "Halal meat used".

We went to the Butchers over the way & grabbed a warm home made jumbo Sossy roll & a couple o' slices of "Gala pie" instead.
Old 06-01-2016, 12:18   #24

Quote:
I guess this is why the HMA symbol on supermarket products is in very small lettering. I refuse to buy any meat except pork products from a supermarket, not only is it largely halal, it is also more expensive than my local butcher who uses local farms for his produce.
JB x

Jelly Baby
jelly baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 16:30   #25
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelly baby View Post
I believe Asda and Tesco sell halal meat, look for the letters HMA (Halal Monitoring Authority) on the packaging.
JB x
Quote:
Originally Posted by jelly baby View Post
I guess this is why the HMA symbol on supermarket products is in very small lettering. I refuse to buy any meat except pork products from a supermarket, not only is it largely halal, it is also more expensive than my local butcher who uses local farms for his produce.
JB x
That is a load of rubbish and HMA is a product code and nothing to do with Halal

Please read this statement from Asda and don't post internet spam rubbish on the forum Online rumours about Asda meat with product code HMA

Last edited by Neil; 06-01-2016 at 16:33.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 11:30   #26
I am Banned

I flew back from Israel last week, the inflight snack was a Salmon and Cream Cheese bagel (very nice it was too) I was intrigued to see that packaging had this Kosher logo/stamp.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kedassia.jpg (45.2 KB, 15 views)
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 12:15   #27
Senior Member+

Halal butcher?

Guy at work thinks the 3 main symbols is dal.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dal

Last edited by gpick24; 07-01-2016 at 12:18.
Old 07-01-2016, 14:10   #28
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taddy View Post
To be politically correct should that not read, (coloured) puddings
Au contraire mon ami ... as the frogs would say. "Coloured" is not in favour at this time. Except, perhaps, in NAACP. "Black" is cool, unlike "jigaboo", "porch monkey", "coon", "jungle bunny", and, of course, "nigger (even when referring to Guy Gibson's dog)" The last can also refer to those of Middle Eastern origin when preceded by "sand" ... and those folks don't buy black puddings. Therefore, "black puddings" is definitely PC.

I prefer the ones with big gobs of fat in 'em ... heavily laced with hot mustard.
Accyexplorer likes this.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 15:01   #29
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taddy View Post
To be politically correct should that not read, (coloured) puddings and fried bread? Just asking,.

By the way, my good lady is down town at this very moment purchasing some (lean),coloured skinned puddings, (I'm not fond of the fatty ones)..

Your's, Taddy
By the by ... if you don't fancy the fatty ones, try boudin noir, a fair alternative if you can't get the real thing. Very popular in Louisiana and, of course, la belle province. And for the faint of heart: boudin blanc. You can probably find it in your local supermarket in the "Infidels Only" section.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 15:55   #30
Beacon of light

And black pudding is currently being touted as a superfood.....so if it floats your boat.....fill yer boots.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..