Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree40Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2016, 18:09   #31

Re: Halal butcher?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
That is a load of rubbish and HMA is a product code and nothing to do with Halal

Please read this statement from Asda and don't post internet spam rubbish on the forum Online rumours about Asda meat with product code HMA
It is NOT spam or rumour! When I asked both Tesco and Asda management (on more than one occasion) whether their meat products were Halal, they would not give me a straight answer. Also, I can't be the only person to have seen the madding crowds of Asian ladies at about 6pm fighting for the reduced priced meats!
JB x

Jelly Baby
jelly baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-01-2016, 19:23   #32
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
And black pudding is currently being touted as a superfood.....
Aye, I read about that the other day, mind you I think its benefits will probably be severely reduced once it's fried up & accompanied by all the other ingredients of a gut busting "Full English".

Here's one I scoffed previously!
Old 07-01-2016, 20:18   #33
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelly baby View Post
It is NOT spam or rumour! When I asked both Tesco and Asda management (on more than one occasion) whether their meat products were Halal, they would not give me a straight answer. Also, I can't be the only person to have seen the madding crowds of Asian ladies at about 6pm fighting for the reduced priced meats!
JB x
Did you read Asda's statement about it?
Old 08-01-2016, 12:27   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Did you read Asda's statement about it?
Yes I did! And as I've said I've spoken to the fresh meat dept manager and the store manager and they will not admit whether the meat is halal or not. I take that as a 'yes' and when I see the riots breaking out at 6pm ish, I think I am probably right.
As for their statement, if HMA is a product code, why is the same code on different meat products i.e. Beef, chicken and lamb, but not on pork products?
And why is the same lettering on Tesco products?
JBx

Jelly Baby
jelly baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 15:14   #35
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelly baby View Post
.....And why is the same lettering on Tesco products?
JBx

I don't care because I'm not a conspiracy theory nut
Wynonie Harris and DtheP47 like this.
Old 08-01-2016, 16:54   #36
Senior Member+

Watched a video of how animals are treat in some British slaughter houses before slaughter. Sheep falling into a room off a conveyor belt which would bring the term Double Standards to some of the participants of this thread.

Also saw a video where a halal slaughterhouse used machines to mass slaughter the 'halal way' which I find odd considering it ritualistic
Old 08-01-2016, 20:57   #37
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
Watched a video of how animals are treat in some British slaughter houses before slaughter. Sheep falling into a room off a conveyor belt which would bring the term Double Standards to some of the participants of this thread.

Also saw a video where a halal slaughterhouse used machines to mass slaughter the 'halal way' which I find odd considering it ritualistic
Double standards only count when you believe in something but ignore how you gain a result.

Most of us pay a butcher to save us from that guilty feeling of having killed and gutted an animal, so much easier when we buy a chunk wrapped in cling film no matter how it went to slaughter.
Restless likes this.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 21:36   #38
Senior Member+

Once went in an abattoir. I almost went vegetarian but I'm afraid I enjoyed a nice piece of sirloin too much.
At least they were stunned and unconscious.
I would never knowingly eat halal meat. I will look at the packaging a lot more carefully in future.
cashman, Restless and Studio25 like this.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 01:20   #39
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
Once went in an abattoir. I almost went vegetarian but I'm afraid I enjoyed a nice piece of sirloin too much.
At least they were stunned and unconscious.
I would never knowingly eat halal meat. I will look at the packaging a lot more carefully in future.
Yes, abbitiors get my goat too,there was one in the local rag recently that's gone bust....

...It must be a cut throat business.

Seriously though,theres a element of cruelty in all slaughter....I'd say,the same sinister things happen in all the 'slaughter houses' it's best not to think about it if you enjoy a good steak.

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 10:25   #40
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accyexplorer View Post
I'd say,the same sinister things happen in all the 'slaughter houses'
And I'd disagree with you on that one, there are rules & regulations in place to prevent unnecessary suffering & pain to animals that are to be humanely slaughtered. In most cases, these rules are adhered to, there will always be one or two that slip through the net but Halal slaughtering ignores these basic niceties. The grounds for this being so that they can mutter some religious mumbo jumbo, from some fantasy figure, to a fully conscious sentient creature, why?

Illogical & unconscionable.
Old 09-01-2016, 10:40   #41
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
And I'd disagree with you on that one, there are rules & regulations in place to prevent unnecessary suffering & pain to animals that are to be humanely slaughtered. In most cases, these rules are adhered to, there will always be one or two that slip through the net but Halal slaughtering ignores these basic niceties. The grounds for this being so that they can mutter some religious mumbo jumbo, from some fantasy figure, to a fully conscious sentient creature, why?

Illogical & unconscionable.
Of course there is a wider debate DinG, probably a thread wander though, equally your points here apply. The rearing/farming of animals the sole objective being for them end up on our plate.
What indeed is humane?
Restless likes this.
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 11:03   #42
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtheP47 View Post
Of course there is a wider debate DinG, probably a thread wander though, equally your points here apply. The rearing/farming of animals the sole objective being for them end up on our plate.
What indeed is humane?
Indubitably so, without wanders the forum would be an oh so tedious place! As to humane, I enjoy my lumps of meat as much as the next man & to see a Sow rooting around in an open field in Englands green & pleasant land, being tailed by a hoard of little piglets, rumbling, tumbling & enjoying a damn good wallow makes me feel all warm & contented.

This however doesn't detract from the fact that I know in x-years down the line those delightful little piggies, will be even more delightfully resting on my breakfast plate reincarnated as Sossys & bacon. But the difference is, prior to them being a hangover cure they've apparently had a pretty good time of their short little porky lives.

Then compare that to a Sow in a pen as is more common here in Europe, caged in a space not much more than 3x3 mtrs, with her litter suckling away but no place to gaily romp freely in open pastures to proverbially "Wallow like a pig in shiite!". Admittedly a rather basic comparison I know but it will do to highlight my point, the inevitable outcome is unaltered but for what it's worth, to my mind at least, option nr.1, seems a damned sight more humane wouldn't you agree?
DtheP47 likes this.
Old 09-01-2016, 12:23   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Au contraire mon ami ... as the frogs would say. "Coloured" is not in favour at this time. Except, perhaps, in NAACP. "Black" is cool, unlike "jigaboo", "porch monkey", "coon", "jungle bunny", and, of course, "nigger (even when referring to Guy Gibson's dog)" The last can also refer to those of Middle Eastern origin when preceded by "sand" ... and those folks don't buy black puddings. Therefore, "black puddings" is definitely PC.

I prefer the ones with big gobs of fat in 'em ... heavily laced with hot mustard.
In the 1970's, four or five young fella's, (me included), would meet up for a game or two of snooker in the Burnley Road Bowling Club on friday nights.

The steward at that time used to put on a pan of black puddings and mushy peas; The lads would compete to see who could eat their puddings with the most Colemans mustard on.

Many a pint was used to wash them down, one or two units of alcohol a day ?
(Bah Humbug).

This smiley sums up eating black puddings with plenty of "Hot", mustard. .

Stay happy as always, Yours Taddy.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 12:53   #44
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Most of us pay a butcher to save us from that guilty feeling of having killed and gutted an animal, so much easier when we buy a chunk wrapped in cling film no matter how it went to slaughter.
That Is so true. I for one couldn't work inside a slaughterhouse.
Old 09-01-2016, 12:56   #45
Senior Member+

Nobody seems to mention shechita/kosher meat... for how much the Jews and Muslims hate each other they seem to have so much in common.
Alan Varrechia likes this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..