Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree40Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2016, 14:54   #76
Beacon of light

Re: Halal butcher?

I would guess that most people who care about how an animal is killed would also have concerns that the animals welfare through its life was good too.
Rules and regulations are what protect us all...they are observed and monitored closely
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-01-2016, 22:17   #77
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Have to be honest, when its on me plate, have never considered were n how it got yon.
Old 12-01-2016, 00:43   #78
Senior Member+

Pretty sure they did gas unwanted dogs and cats at the back of the station, at least when I had the rotten job of taking a few during the early 50s.
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 07:16   #79
Senior Member+

When I worked on the council.They had a shallow metal tray with water in it and they use to stand the dogs in it with clips on their ears connected to the electricity supply
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 08:34   #80
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
When I worked on the council.They had a shallow metal tray with water in it and they use to stand the dogs in it with clips on their ears connected to the electricity supply
Bit of Bisto in the tray?
Bingo (or Fido) a ready meal.
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 09:02   #81
Senior Member+

It used to smell horrible
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 12:12   #82
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
That dog killer in the Fire Station yard was a large box at least 3 ft high by 6 ft long, the dog had a bucket of water tipped over it a steel chain round its neck then hooked onto a contact inside the box, lid closed and a large switch on the wall pressed. The whole thing buzzed, and the dog would thump around for a few seconds, then it was unhooked chain removed, then the dead dog would be chucked in a bin outside, which the council emptied once a week.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2016, 12:45   #83
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Just poking the fires up a bit.

Top vet calls for reform of kosher and halal slaughter practices | World news | The Guardian
Old 13-03-2016, 13:43   #84
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Anyone who buys halal meat is a savage simple as. like it or lump it.
Gremlin likes this.
Old 15-03-2016, 12:35   #85

Most chicken sold in this country is produced to meet halal requirements
Nibor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2016, 15:02   #86
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibor View Post
Most chicken sold in this country is produced to meet halal requirements
You know this to be a fact because...
Studio25 and maxthecollie like this.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 10:43   #87
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

So a 100,000 signature petition is now in the hands of PM Maybe, but I personally don't think it'll make to much difference because there's no will or determination from the gutless politicoes for confrontation with the "enrichers" to our UK shores. What's more telling though is that the Animals rights crowd & the RSPCA, haven't spoken up against this barbaric practice.

Campaigners Hand in Petition after 100,000 Call for Ban on Halal Slaughter
Old 11-11-2016, 16:27   #88
Senior Member+

I once worked at a Bernard Mathews turkey farm for a few days before one Christmas. Grab the bird by the legs. stick the feet through a wire W hook so the bird was hanging upside down. grip the neck between your fingers, pull downwards and twist until you felt the neck seperate. Then pluck the feathers, whilst trying to avoid it's last objection. Only did 4 days and then my wife said no more, she couldn't get rid of the smell on my clothes despite repeated washing. Guess they qualified as Halal.
Old 12-11-2016, 13:54   #89

I started as a teenager in Tony Perkins butchers in Ossy. I am a Graduate member of the Institute of Meat, a fully trained animal welfare officer & have spent all my working years in food & in particular meat. Until September this year I worked for a retailer auditing meat & poultry slaughter house's across the world.
The majority of meat killed & cut in the UK & Europe is halal but I have never seen any "inhumane" methods of slaughter that would make any animal or bird suffer.
For info the best slaughterhouse I have seen for beef & lamb supplies M&S & Iceland, the best poultry site was in Poland supplying Asda, Iceland & KFC. Pork was a German site supplying just about most of Europe. The worst unfortunately was in the UK & purely due to age & lack of investment Bernard Matthew's gets this.
However they still slaughter in a humane manner.

Here today, somewhere else tomorrow.
TheJarvefromossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2016, 15:21   #90
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

I started at a young age very young in fact, to eat meat, it came naturally to me after all, it was offered so I ate it.
The plain fact of the matter is that we are omnivorous, no matter how you pretend you can't get away from it, it does mean some other animal has to die to give us the pleasure of grease dribbling down our chins as most of us chew our way through the flesh of what used to be alive and has been killed for our benefit.
Of course it is important that the animal we are chewing on has been given a life that up until it was slaughtered wasn't a miserable one and that it's moment of dispatch will be as painless and stress free as possible.
Somewhere around this point in the conversation I'm sure there will be one of those superior beings that give themselves titles such as vegans or some such farty thing.
But, do they not realise how many living creatures they kill just when they boil a potato?
We are all guilty it's part of life, get on with it.

Last edited by Less; 15-11-2016 at 15:23.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..