Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31-07-2006, 08:02   #1
Resting in Peace

Red face Have you got one ?

Now i have had my op the wife is going on a health kick and is thinking of getting one of them George Forman grills .
So have you got one ?
what they like ?
what can you cook on them
good points/ bad points ?
do you use yours or is it still in the box ?
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 31-07-2006, 09:35   #2
God Member

Re: Have you got one ?

We have one - use it mostly for sausages and burgers, probably once a week or fortnight. Highly recommend it. You should see the amount of fat that comes out of a sausage.

Good to use, nice and easy to clean. Can't think of any negatives.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2006, 09:37   #3
Resting in Peace

Thanks for the info Gayle
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2006, 09:45   #4
Senior Member+

It's just the same as cooking on the grill of your gas/electric cooker Mick.
You get the same amount of fat running out. If I was you I would save yourself the money and buy a pint instead.
Old 31-07-2006, 11:02   #5
God Member

Whoopee! I got one to! I use mine for steaks & chicken. The main problem with them is that you can lose too much fat from the meat & so it ends up being a little bit dry; thats why I usually marinade the meat first.

Another irritant is the little drip-trays to collect the run off fat; if you don't get these lined up correctly you will get the fat all over your kitchen work surface.

You can probably get the same or better results by using a griddle pan with a combination of hob and grill and a griddle pan is somewhat easier to clean. You can pick one up for about ten or twelve quid; get a steamer as well and you have a good combination for healthy, tasty food.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2006, 11:14   #6
Junior Member+

^^ Indeedy, We have one of the big ones Use it for Chicken, Sausage, Steaks, Burgers, Bacon etc... Do find that it can dry the meat up a little like you said, so it usually gets marinated with something!

The one we have is easy to clean, it has those removable plates so you can just whack em in the sink

Hardly ever use Grill, Frying pan for the above these days, I'd recommend

Dexster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2006, 14:03   #7
white rabbits

its much easier and quicker to use the grill.
Old 31-07-2006, 14:57   #8
Passed away 25-11-09

I bought mine 2 years ago and for the first 6 months I used it nearly every day. Now it comes out about once a month. They are good and they are healthy but with a grill, a griddle and a "dry" frying pan I don't need it quite so much. It's great for steaks, rare the way I like them, as it can sear the outside and leave the inside nice and "juicy".
Old 31-07-2006, 17:48   #9
Resting in Peace

Mick, don't even go there. As above posts dries all the meats up, and if you slightly overdo, then left with tough stuff.

Tried some lamb chops once ... I can eat the fat if crispy .. doesn't do this, by the time the fat is cooked (not crispy like) the meat has gone tough.
Bacon the same .. finishes up either flabby or burnt, but not 'nice' burnt, if you know what I mean.

Also if you try and cook two items of different heights, only reaches the bigger ones, so thinner items only get cooked one side.

Sausages get squashed and burnt top and bottom, can't really turn them like you do under a grill. Wouldn't even risk trying a decent steak, only few minutes under grill, so what's the point. I like to spinkle herbs, butter on top of certain items and it seems to get lost and stick to top.

'Cause so much fat drained out .. no taste left.

Now only use it to cook flat garlic bread and potato waffles.

There again, lousy cook Good point: easy to clean.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2006, 18:58   #10
God Member

I use mine all the time cos Ive only got that a microwave grill and one gas ring. One day when fhm and nwbc of athesrtone decide to finish the kitchen I'll buy a cooker.
Squashed bangers are a negative I must admit, but they are healthy.
Don't agree about the drying out bit, you lot must be cooking it to long. Also you dont have to force it closed to get it to cook, I just rest the lid on top of sausages.
Come and write every night, chat with a hula melody
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2006, 19:09   #11

I sell those things in OZ......and get mostly good reports about them....
talentedbutslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2006, 19:12   #12
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhatter
Squashed bangers are a negative I must admit, but they are healthy.
Don't agree about the drying out bit, you lot must be cooking it to long. Also you dont have to force it closed to get it to cook, I just rest the lid on top of sausages.
But the lid is heavy Madhatter and can't really rest it lightly. Oh yeh, that's another thing, trapped me finger a few times too as it slams down quickly
Re. the healthy thing .. understand Mick has to look at fats at the moment, but sure doesn't have to be completely fat free .. fats good for you in moderation, and if you grill, the fats do run out into the pan do they not? but still retain lots of succulence ... yummmy.
Old 31-07-2006, 21:42   #13
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by talentedbutslow
I sell those things in OZ......and get mostly good reports about them....
A little ambiguous Tal .. a good salesman needs to back his arguments up with facts.... or believable lies at least ...

Anyway, darling Mick and Ann, ya' can borrow mine for a few weeks if you like, to see what you think .. think I can manage without for a while. Proof is in the pudding as they say, and maybe can teach me a few tricks.
Let me know if you wish to take me up on my offer, send me your address, will pop around one lunch to drop off, and will make sure clean (don't want Ann thinking I am a mucky pup) .... xxx
Old 31-07-2006, 22:39   #14
God Member

Can I borrow it after, you can pop round kate on August 19th.

yes i know it is, but i mean you don't have to squash everything to get the lid closed, it doesnt need to tight down for sausages. Mines got a clip and ex used to always force it closed till the clip engaged.
Come and write every night, chat with a hula melody

Last edited by Madhatter; 31-07-2006 at 22:42.
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2006, 23:42   #15
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

we got one as well paris thinks its great! me? if it dont come out of a chip pan or frying pan,= IT DONT EXIST. though steaks is ok if you finish off in fryin pan.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..