Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree49Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-06-2013, 11:56   #46

Re: Help in need of urgent prom transport

Ahh ok
olivia123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 29-06-2013, 12:08   #47
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
It's not mine Olivia, I took the photo a few weeks ago at the Leyland car show.
I did have its bigger brother in 1962, a black Austin A40.
I had an AUSTIN A40 as my second car.
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2013, 12:39   #48
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
It's not mine Olivia, I took the photo a few weeks ago at the Leyland car show.
I did have its bigger brother in 1962, a black Austin A40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
I had an AUSTIN A40 as my second car.
Didn't everyone of our age who had a car have one of those in the the 1960s?

Olivia, there doesn't appear to be much room inside. Hope you and your friends manage to fit in without ruining your dresses!!
Old 01-07-2013, 12:12   #49
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpick24 View Post
And I bet, like me, you got the old " school disco, pay to get in AND money for drinks, do you think we`re made of money. Didn`t have them in my day".
And for the ones who can`t go, it`s not unloved, just a disappointment, which is part of life, and how can we expect our kids to appreciate what they have if they`ve never experienced the disappointment of missing out.
nah i paid my own way i worked for two newsagents doing 3 paper rounds at each 2x morning,2x evening and two sunday rounds and also worked in a furniture shop assembling bedroom furninture for extra cash

it soon went on things like sports'y disco on fridays i think it was and bits for my mongoose bmx or commodore 64 accessories and games lol

i doubt that even a child with good intentions and a parttime job could afford the expense of a promm

do we really want to be like america i think some head of year somehwere saw a few too many american trash promm movies when they were younger and thought it a good idea to start this off.Wont be long before we have parents dressing 8 year olds up as 20 year olds and sticking them infront of teh world on tv to be judged how pretty they are

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:46   #50
Senior Member+

Sportsy disco, now your talking, with love lovely Lorna selling strawberry mivvies in the little shop opposite.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:51   #51
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpick24 View Post
Sportsy disco, now your talking, with love lovely Lorna selling strawberry mivvies in the little shop opposite.
if you were a little short of cash one week you could get a nice girl to come back out before the ink stamp dried and roll a copy onto your hand

you just had to take a gamble the stamp checker didnt realise it was reversed on your hand lol

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Old 02-07-2013, 01:49   #52

Go and enjoy yourself, you're only young once, from some of the postings I get the impression that they are jealous and would prefer you to wear clogs asa well, I wonder what they wore ion their younger days or perhaps they cannot remember.
keith higson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:30   #53
God Member

no ones said dont enjoy herself but people have said how pathetic and unwarranted the whole charade is just so our schools can be just like america

you may see it as been jelous im just glad they wernt around 20 years ago because my mum wouldnt have been able to afford it.Its just another shower of crap that serves no purpous but to put financial burden on those that cant afford it just so that their kids dont feel left out or looked down upon by others for not been able to afford it,

infact if i recall i put i hope she enjoys herself

one thing for sure is i have 1 kid left in school and hes been told from day one the day he walks into secondary school that promms aint happening for him he can have a xbox game instead or a new bike or whatever he wants within reason as long as it isnt urined away on a school disco thats got way out of hand
flashy and cashman like this.

Old 02-07-2013, 12:29   #54
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Help in need of urgent prom transport

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
no ones said dont enjoy herself but people have said how pathetic and unwarranted the whole charade is just so our schools can be just like america

you may see it as been jelous im just glad they wernt around 20 years ago because my mum wouldnt have been able to afford it.Its just another shower of crap that serves no purpous but to put financial burden on those that cant afford it just so that their kids dont feel left out or looked down upon by others for not been able to afford it,

infact if i recall i put i hope she enjoys herself

one thing for sure is i have 1 kid left in school and hes been told from day one the day he walks into secondary school that promms aint happening for him he can have a xbox game instead or a new bike or whatever he wants within reason as long as it isnt urined away on a school disco thats got way out of hand
Times change, welcome to the world of miserable old fart, I knew if you survived you'd get there!
accyman likes this.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 13:06   #55
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Times change, welcome to the world of miserable old fart, I knew if you survived you'd get there!

due to growing up without a father i had to get here pretty much on my own but thanks to a little help and guidance along the way from good people such as yourself i finally made the breakthrough

im aiming for victor meldrew but understand that until i consider a flat cap an acceptable look for me i wont get there

Old 02-07-2013, 13:25   #56
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Help in need of urgent prom transport

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
due to growing up without a father i had to get here pretty much on my own but thanks to a little help and guidance along the way from good people such as yourself i finally made the breakthrough

im aiming for victor meldrew but understand that until i consider a flat cap an acceptable look for me i wont get there
Don't go for a flat cap, no way will it stay on a flat head, always meant to ask, were you dropped on it as a child?
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 14:36   #57
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith higson View Post
Go and enjoy yourself, you're only young once, from some of the postings I get the impression that they are jealous and would prefer you to wear clogs asa well, I wonder what they wore ion their younger days or perhaps they cannot remember.
Not in the least bit jealous. I live in the real world where things cost money and have to paid for.
£10 is a fortune if you haven't got it.
Somehow it conveys the wrong message to youngsters.
'have what you want - pay for it next week, sometime, never'

I'm glad things like this did not exist in my day......I could never have afforded to do it, and would never expect my parents to pay for it.
flashy and accyman like this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 00:00   #58
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Don't go for a flat cap, no way will it stay on a flat head, always meant to ask, were you dropped on it as a child?
no i was thrown into teh ceiling but it has teh same effect

Old 03-07-2013, 15:59   #59
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
It must be an age thing for me then....I left school before schools had disco's...they were just Dances...and I couldn't dance so I didn't go to those either.
To the person who gave me Karma...Thank you..you didn't sign it....so I can't thank you personally
I never said I wasn't asked...which you inferred...just that I didn't see the reason to go.....not being able to dance, would make it a pointless exercise.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 20:39   #60
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
It must be an age thing for me then....I left school before schools had disco's...they were just Dances...and I couldn't dance so I didn't go to those either.
I left school on my 14th birthday, war in europe was winding down, nowt special happened nobody said owt, didn't even get the months annual school holiday. A week later I started my first job at Shepherd Bros up Bash, until a vacancy came up for an apprenticeship at Lang Bridges, started there in Sept 1945.
Can't understand all this hoohah about leaving school.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..