Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2009, 00:00   #1
Senior Member+

Red face HELP!!! re: steak puddings

Hi all, I made the inspired decision whilst on the market today to buy a couple of steak puddings for our tea on sunday. Then once I got home it struck me that I have no clue as to how to cook the things!!! As they are off the market they have no packaging or instructions, so here is my question . . . . . .

How do you cook a steak pudding?

Many thanks
sparkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-06-2009, 00:26   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: HELP!!! re: steak puddings

Believe me Sparkie, I am no expert, but you don't cook/bake them, you steam them.

If you haven't got a steamer, would put in a pan with water half way up and simmer, pan lid on .. not sure of the cooking time, but if meat raw could be a few hours, however, presume the meat is already cooked and just needs warming up, so 40 minutes ? .. just a guess like, haven't done one myself for years ...

There will be ladies on here later in the day to give you more expert advice I am sure.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 07:52   #3
Resting in Peace

Near enough Kate but not quite so much water 1/4 full should be plenty as should 30mins.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 07:58   #4
Senior Member+

I always though that you put water in pan (half way up the pudding cases), lid on and simmered for about 45 minutes. Could be wrong though am no expert when it comes to cooking
emzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 09:25   #5
God Member

thats exactly how i do them Em
Old 07-06-2009, 09:42   #6
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Believe me Sparkie, I am no expert, but you don't cook/bake them, you steam them.

If you haven't got a steamer, would put in a pan with water half way up and simmer, pan lid on .. not sure of the cooking time, but if meat raw could be a few hours, however, presume the meat is already cooked and just needs warming up, so 40 minutes ? .. just a guess like, haven't done one myself for years ...

There will be ladies on here later in the day to give you more expert advice I am sure.
Steaming Steak Puds is one of my culinary delights kate, I do a mean microwaved cheese and onion pie too
Old 07-06-2009, 10:07   #7
God Member

to steam them the water shouldn't be touching the pudding or you are in effect boiling them!. I have a thing that is like a fan that opens up to whatever size pan its put in with legs about 1/2 inch to hold it off teh bottom, you put water to just below where it comes to, put teh pudding on stop and then steam with a tight fitting lid on for 25 mins if defrosted, 45 -1 hour if frozen or 2 hours if raw meet inside.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 10:58   #8
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
to steam them the water shouldn't be touching the pudding or you are in effect boiling them!. I have a thing that is like a fan that opens up to whatever size pan its put in with legs about 1/2 inch to hold it off teh bottom, you put water to just below where it comes to, put teh pudding on stop and then steam with a tight fitting lid on for 25 mins if defrosted, 45 -1 hour if frozen or 2 hours if raw meet inside.
Apologies first to our gentlemen ... did say when the ladies come on here, 'course the men are good at preparing their steak puds. too ....

I used to have one of those fan things Entwisi ... someone bought it for me ... always wondered what it was and how you use it ... LOL. Still, granddaughter used to amuse herself for hours playing with it until some of the segments dropped off ..
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 11:15   #9
Senior Member+

Ta peeps!!

Steak puds for tea today it is!!! I'll let you know how it goes.

They're from clayton park bakeries so I would presume the meat is cokked already and just needs heating through.

Many thanks
Old 07-06-2009, 11:33   #10
God Member

make sure you dont let the water boil away, i've done that more than once
Old 07-06-2009, 11:59   #11
Senior Member+

I'll be putting them in the steamer me thinks, never had that boil away yet so can't get that bit wrong!!!!
Old 07-06-2009, 12:05   #12
Beacon of light

I usually cover the tops of the pudings with tinfoil as the other half(who is the one who eats them) doesn't like the tops soggy.......!
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 12:07   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkie View Post
Hi all, I made the inspired decision whilst on the market today to buy a couple of steak puddings for our tea on sunday. Then once I got home it struck me that I have no clue as to how to cook the things!!! As they are off the market they have no packaging or instructions, so here is my question . . . . . .

How do you cook a steak pudding?

Many thanks
Steak puddings are a distant memory.
Hav,nt had one since i left Ossy in 1981.
Would love to cook one right now.
Mushy peas,mash & HPsauce.
south aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 18:48   #14
Senior Member+

Well I gave the puds about 40 mins in the steamer and they were yummy!!!!

Thanks to all for your tips and hints, now I can have them more often!!!
Old 08-06-2009, 09:26   #15
Resting in Peace

Can remember when I was young my old Gran used to make her own Steak Puds cooked in muslin, ten times better than what you buy in the shops today

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..