Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree68Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-04-2014, 13:02   #31
Beacon of light

Re: Hitting a women

What is the link between violent video games and aggression? | Pete Etchells | Science | theguardian.com.
And yes, I know that there are some studies that refute these findings......but I think that children are impressionable and are affected by what they see and hear in their environment.
Lucysgirl likes this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-04-2014, 13:21   #32
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
What is the link between violent video games and aggression? | Pete Etchells | Science | theguardian.com.
And yes, I know that there are some studies that refute these findings......but I think that children are impressionable and are affected by what they see and hear in their environment.
Surely that has to include everything in their environment, parental care, how they react to their peers and many, many other things that can contribute?

There are millions of younger people that have played violent games, watched violent T.V. that aren't violent because of it.
When I was growing up the lads used to play cowboys and Indians, British V the Germans, we died many times every day, but we've grown out of it and I for one in adulthood have never been tempted to kill Indians or Germans.
Eric likes this.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2014, 13:27   #33
Beacon of light

Less, playing Cowboys and Indians was subtly different.....there was no blood or gore.
The guns had no bullets.
They were games of role playing.....and you might argue that video games are just that too.....but there is strong evidence that these DO change how the immature brain functions.

I would not let a young child play some of the video games that are available.
The violent games have age restrictions on them.......(and I know that this means little to the parents who think they are harmless) but they are there for a reason.
Old 27-04-2014, 13:29   #34
Beacon of light

Anyway, does this constitute a thread wander? Or is it permitted because we are still discussing violence?
Old 27-04-2014, 13:38   #35

Quote:
Anyway, does this constitute a thread wander? Or is it permitted because we are still discussing violence?
I don't know, perhaps if someone objects we should beat them up?
Eric and Accyexplorer like this.
Old 27-04-2014, 13:49   #36
Beacon of light

Oh Less!! Nooooooo!
Old 27-04-2014, 13:51   #37
Senior Member+

A (male) friend of mine ( a bouncer) once tried restraining a drunken (violent) women (by grabbing her arms and legs), she started shouting things like "sexual harassment","inappropriate touching" to the police (it ended up getting pretty serious,but was later dropped).
I assume she only did it in a bid to get my friend (who is no wrong un) in trouble.

Some folk (especially my mate who works the doors) would say if a women's being violent a open handed slap is the cure and that they'd "like to see a woman try to turn a slap to the face into "sexual harassment","inappropriate touching" .
In the case of doormen,police etc if someone is being violent they are expected to,and must display the patience, restraint, and physical resilience of a saint (just adding this into the mix).

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb

Last edited by Accyexplorer; 27-04-2014 at 13:54.
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2014, 13:54   #38
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

As far as i'm concerned violence in general is perpetuated by poor parental control, there will always be exceptions i.e. people that are nuts, To many let kids do owt fer a peaceful life, and in general leave em to it on internet n mobiles n such stuff, where they can access anything they choose,I defy anyone to tell me that sorta thing is good parenting? In general i think a big influence on kids, are older uns at school, they tend to look up to em, if they are bragging about watching stuff on the net, its a knocking bet young uns will have a sneck.

Last edited by cashman; 27-04-2014 at 14:01. Reason: addition.
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2014, 13:59   #39
Beacon of light

Well said Cashy.
If there is any possibility of a risk with videos/video games.....and you are a parent, why would you take that risk?
Isn't it better to err on the side of caution?
I know what my answer to that question is.
cashman likes this.
Old 27-04-2014, 14:02   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
I don't know, perhaps if someone objects we should beat them up?

Accyexplorer likes this.

I don't think you should have liked that, it could be misconstrued as encouraging violence!
Old 27-04-2014, 14:11   #41
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
I don't think you should have liked that, it could be misconstrued as encouraging violence!
The only reason I liked it was because it made me chuckle (as I assume you was kidding) and you didn't really mean you and Margret should actually go and beat folk up,I hope this stops folk making the wrong assumption from me liking your post
Less likes this.

password--Accyweb
Old 27-04-2014, 14:19   #42
Beacon of light

The only thing that I regularly beat......is......an egg!
I would be totally useless at fisticuffs. I would rather run away?
Glad the post Less made, made you chuckle. We should all have at least ten of those every day.
Old 27-04-2014, 14:59   #43
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio25 View Post
No.

I'm constantly amazed by the number of people who get the cause and effect the wrong way around when it comes to violence in entertainment. The kids who perpetrated the columbine massacre modelled themselves after characters from The Matrix. Does that mean they were influenced by the film? Only insofar as it gave them an idea what to wear. The wiring in their head which led them to carry out the atrocity was bad before they saw the film. Yet typically you'll get a whole bunch of detractors whose focus is in the wrong place - usually headed by people who see it as a convenient blame instead of admitting they were so close to the perpetrators that they should have seen the signs and maybe taken some positive action.
im just thankfull guy fawks's powder plot was as long ago as it was or wylie cyote would have got the blame for it

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2014, 15:05   #44
Beacon of light

No he wouldn't. Cartoons are different.
Old 27-04-2014, 15:08   #45
Senior Member+

Quote:
The only thing that I regularly beat......is......an egg!
I would be totally useless at fisticuffs. I would rather run away?
Glad the post Less made, made you chuckle. We should all have at least ten of those every day.
Glad to hear "himself" doesn't "feel the wrath" and, you don't beat him like a egg
I'm also glad I was right about Less and, he isn't one to have a neanderthal like mentality

password--Accyweb

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..