Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree68Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-04-2014, 15:25   #76
God Member

Re: Hitting a women

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accyexplorer View Post
"If animals are at risk, people are at risk and if people are at risk, animals are at risk"
Very interesting indeed, I wasn't aware there was a "link" between folk that mistreat animals and folk that are violent towards other folk, Nice one

Here's something local ... local for me anyway It's from the Kingston Police Force web site ... note that it includes "children, other family members, or pets." And if charges are laid, they can not be withdrawn by either the police or the complainant ... it has to go to trial. None of this sobering up and changing one's mind. Which, to my mind is not a bad idea. None of this beating up your old lady and then smoothing things over with flowers, candy, and promises not to do it again.

https://www.kpf.ca/familyviolencec46.php

I think MargP hit it when she mentioned bullying ... that's what it is, plain and simple. And now, with the internet and anti-social networking this bullying can be carried out online.
Accyexplorer likes this.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-04-2014, 16:17   #77
Beacon of light

with online bullying you just have to pull the plug on the social media......(and I know that for some this might be difficult).
Bullying in the home, by someone you think cares about you, is a different matter altogether.
Far less easy to escape(especially if you have small children - but more necessary that you DO escape).

I have had recent experience of school bullying(with one of my daughters children) this was insidious and destroyed much of the confidence of the child who was bullied.....the bully was a child from a background where poor parenting/discipline was evident.
Fotunately there was a satisfactory resolution....but for a time it was a bit of a worry.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2014, 16:55   #78
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Again, it's the bully who wants to feel control over a sentient being that he/she feels they can act against because they are weaker and defenceless.
Interesting link Eric.
Echoing Erics agreement too Margaret.
Bullying and intimidation takes on many forms and guises. Overtime I despair of man's inhumanity to man and social media only opens up a whole can of worms and platforms for that too, litterally.
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2014, 17:07   #79
I am Banned

Say it isn't so Paul !!!

BBC News - Paul Simon and Edie Brickell charged with disorderly conduct
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2014, 17:17   #80
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtheP47 View Post
Echoing Erics agreement too Margaret.
Bullying and intimidation takes on many forms and guises. Overtime I despair of man's inhumanity to man and social media only opens up a whole can of worms and platforms for that too, litterally.
I agree...and like you, I sometimes despair of the way things seem to be going.
People no longer speak to each other(this is especially true of the younger generation...who recently I have seen text one another while in the company of the person they were texting......is face to face conversation so hard to deal with)
Without interpersonal skills how are people able to develop empathy, compassion and feelings for their fellow human beings?
I know this is a huge generalisation, and I am against those...but it is increasingly my observation on what is going on around me...and I speak as I find.
Maybe I am travelling in the wrong social circles.
Old 28-04-2014, 18:26   #81
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Here's something local ... local for me anyway It's from the Kingston Police Force web site ... note that it includes "children, other family members, or pets." And if charges are laid, they can not be withdrawn by either the police or the complainant ... it has to go to trial. None of this sobering up and changing one's mind. Which, to my mind is not a bad idea. None of this beating up your old lady and then smoothing things over with flowers, candy, and promises not to do it again.

https://www.kpf.ca/familyviolencec46.php

I think MargP hit it when she mentioned bullying ... that's what it is, plain and simple. And now, with the internet and anti-social networking this bullying can be carried out online.

Tackling domestic abuse, protecting victims and bringing offenders to justice should be a high on the list for any police service.
I'm in agreement that once charges are brought it's not a bad idea that those charges 'have to go to trail' and perhaps here in the uk, a law change may serve justice better if they mirrored your local service in that respect.

"Advise that neither police nor victims can withdraw charges"

What's our other members think about this?

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2014, 19:13   #82
God Member

Quote:
online bullying
This is one case over here. The downside of social media. I presume that similar cases have happened over there.

Suicide of Rehtaeh Parsons - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 28-04-2014, 20:02   #83
Beacon of light

yes Eric they have......and with similar outcomes.
Old 28-04-2014, 23:28   #84

Regarding whether or not to try to intervene in cases where someone is being attacked - either by someone they know or by a stranger, or whether to ignore the situation because either we are too afraid for our own safety or 'it's none of my business anyway'. I just ask this - how would any of us feel if we found out that our daughter, or son, or some other loved one, had been attacked and no-one had gone to their aid.

I know how I would.
Eric likes this.

Last edited by dotti34; 28-04-2014 at 23:30.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2014, 00:53   #85
God Member

Quote:
yes Eric they have......and with similar outcomes.
Do you ever get the feeling that this is a good time not to be young? ... I'm glad I'm on the way out and not just starting in.
Old 29-04-2014, 07:08   #86
Beacon of light

Eric, I have said that so many times.
I think the folk of my era had the best time to be young....but then I would say that...wouldn't I?
Eric likes this.
Old 29-04-2014, 07:13   #87
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotti34 View Post
Regarding whether or not to try to intervene in cases where someone is being attacked - either by someone they know or by a stranger, or whether to ignore the situation because either we are too afraid for our own safety or 'it's none of my business anyway'. I just ask this - how would any of us feel if we found out that our daughter, or son, or some other loved one, had been attacked and no-one had gone to their aid.

I know how I would.
Dotti I am small of stature, but I have waded into disputes(as a Sister during my working life) and things have sort of fizzled out.

When I have looked back on these events,they were scary...but it didn't stop me.
I think I would still do the same now...there is only one thing which holds me back...My husband!
He is scared that something deadly will happen to me if I step in....and most of the time when I am out and about we are together...it is only the odd time I am out and about on my own...but yes, on reflection, I would step in.
Old 29-04-2014, 08:40   #88

I'm like you, Margaret, I think I'd step in (have also done on occasions) I certainly couldn't just walk past and ignore the situation - though I'd probably try to talk the attacker out of it first - as I'm often told I have the gift of the gab!!!!! (Or maybe they just mean I talk too much).

These days most people carry mobile phones with them so the least a person could do (if too scared to personally intervene) would be to ring the police.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2014, 11:12   #89
Beacon of light

People tell me that I have an 'air of authority'......and that even when not in uniform they knew who was in charge.
What they never realised was, that inside I was quaking jelly.
Old 29-04-2014, 12:24   #90
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Hitting a women

Quote:
People tell me that I have an 'air of authority'......and that even when not in uniform they knew who was in charge.
What they never realised was, that inside I was quaking jelly.

Such similarities! People have told me I have an air about me as well, (some were even cruel enough to say it could be improved with deodorant).
However, that's where the similarities end, I would not have been able to get into your uniform, with or without you in it.
I do suspect though that I would have suffered violence and been left quaking like a pathetic jelly had I even contemplated trying!

Last edited by Less; 29-04-2014 at 12:29.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..