Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-01-2015, 22:19   #1
Senior Member+

honey?

I tried green tea a while back and discovered I enjoyed it. Drink it often now and I have stopped drinking coffee and wish to cut down on sugar. So I tried honey and discovered I really enjoy it. Been drinking green tea and blend of both for a few weeks now and last week I tried orange blossom honey from herbal shop in Blackburn and it seems to be the best yet. Anyone have any suggestions?

Also is there anywhere you know of where I might find honey in Accrington rather than having to go to stores..
Old 16-01-2015, 22:31   #2
God Member

Re: honey?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
I tried green tea a while back and discovered I enjoyed it. Drink it often now and I have stopped drinking coffee and wish to cut down on sugar. So I tried honey and discovered I really enjoy it. Been drinking green tea and blend of both for a few weeks now and last week I tried orange blossom honey from herbal shop in Blackburn and it seems to be the best yet. Anyone have any suggestions?

Also is there anywhere you know of where I might find honey in Accrington rather than having to go to stores..
Hoskins cheese stall on the outside market sell various honey
Restless likes this.
Old 16-01-2015, 22:41   #3
Senior Member+

Thanks I'll check that out
Old 16-01-2015, 23:19   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Sod all wrong wi honey. I love it on pancakes, had some yesterday.
Restless likes this.
Old 17-01-2015, 10:55   #5
I am Banned

Quote:

Aldi have some in little squirty bottles Rob. I put it in Camomile tea when I get caffeined up at work.
Good on crumpets too
Mind you it only come 2nd to melted Blue Stilton on toasted crumpets
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2015, 10:57   #6
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtheP47 View Post
Aldi have some in little squirty bottles Rob. I put it in Camomile tea when I get caffeined up at work.
Good on crumpets too
Mind you it only come 2nd to melted Blue Stilton on toasted crumpets
I tried camomile. Not for me. After trying the jar from the herb store i would rather look for some honey thats not mass produced for supermarkets. I got one from homebargains which i didnt like. Blue Stilton. ew.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Sod all wrong wi honey. I love it on pancakes, had some yesterday.
I tried some in my porridge
Old 17-01-2015, 11:04   #7
I am Banned

Quote:
I tried camomile. Not for me. After trying the jar from the herb store i would rather look for some honey thats not mass produced for supermarkets. I got one from homebargains which i didnt like. Blue Stilton. ew.

I tried some in my porridge
Know what you mean about mass produced stuff but it's conveniently packaged to keep in my desk and put a quick squirt in my brew. If I kept a jar in the fridge it would dissapear pdq.
Try and get some Manuka that's the best.
Manuka Honey: Medicinal Uses, Benefits, and Side Effects
Old 17-01-2015, 11:11   #8
Senior Member+

Honey is great stuff with many uses from wound care to face wash,I always keep a jar in the pantry.
It has antibacterial qualities (especially if it's the dark stuff),it might sound strange to smear honey on a wound but historically that's what folk did.

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2015, 11:17   #9
Senior Member+

ive heard that before.. Ive seen that in a film recently too
Old 17-01-2015, 11:18   #10
God Member

If you want a naturally sweet tea drink, try liquorice tea bags - no added sweetener necessary. Liquorice is good for repairing damaged 'guts'.
nicola68 and Restless like this.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2015, 11:25   #11
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
If you want a naturally sweet tea drink, try liquorice tea bags - no added sweetener necessary. Liquorice is good for repairing damaged 'guts'.
Is it freely available Margaret? Tesco maybe?
Old 17-01-2015, 11:51   #12
Full Member+

I have known hospitals use honey on leg ulcers which would not heal. It is also one of the only food items that never goes off. I find if it has gone hard a second on the microwave restores it.
Restless likes this.
Rowlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2015, 11:55   #13
Beacon of light

Liquorice used to be used for healing gastric ulcers.....honey is good for all kinds of things.....eases coughs soothes sore throats and if you buy stuff that is produced locally it is said to alleviate the symptoms of hay fever.
Personally, I don't like the taste and can only drink it laced with lemon juice when I have a cold and can taste nothing.
Restless likes this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2015, 11:57   #14
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowlf View Post
I have known hospitals use honey on leg ulcers which would not heal. It is also one of the only food items that never goes off. I find if it has gone hard a second on the microwave restores it.
It was also used for burns.....honeytulle dressings were used to cover serious burns and this reduced the risk,of infection and promoted healing.
Restless likes this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2015, 12:08   #15
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Personally, I don't like the taste and can only drink it laced with lemon juice when I have a cold and can taste nothing.
Not complete without a large tot of whiskey, Margaret!
It doesn't cure the cold but you won't care.
I read somewhere pouring sugar into a cut or wound would stop infection.
Whiskey has the same effect but you don't need a good malt-any will do! And only if you have no sugar or honey!
Jim Procter and Restless like this.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..