Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2012, 18:06   #1

Housing estate off whinney hill

Looking into the history of the site.Been talking to a few neighbours and a lot of them have experianced strange goings on,so just wondering what was on the site before,,,can anyone shed any light??
willy wonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-06-2012, 18:15   #2
God Member

Re: Housing estate off whinney hill

a brick yard most of it

as for shedding light

ghosts dont exist so dont frett about poltergiest or ghouls

probbaly just rats making their way from the canal to the tip for supper

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 18:23   #3
Senior Member+

There used to be a tunnel from the brickyard where the houses are now through to the quarry where they got the clay for the bricks.
Maybe a long forgotten brickmaker was buried there when they filled the tunnel in and he is trying to escape.

Then again I tend to agree with the post above from accyman.
Old 06-06-2012, 19:01   #4

The area was the huge Nori Brickworks.I worked there in the 50's in between terms in the 6th form.There were a number of coal fired kilns and a tunnel kiln fired by gas.The ground below these must have got very hot,so the earth will be weakened.At the entrance to the estate off Whinney Hill Rd. there was a coal mine and I Don't know whether the shaft was filled in or just capped.This area is now just grass and not built on for obvious reasons.The side of the hill next to the estate is a filled in by refuse old quarry which caught fire in the late 50's and burned internally for two years,so it must be a bit honeycombed inside.
All this points to some unstable land beneath your feet,so there must be some land movements acting like mini earthquakes,which could event in slight rumblings and pots rattling.So I am afraid no ghosts!
TubbyLes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 16:36   #5

May explain some things but not smoke alarms going off with no smoke,burgler alarms when nobody in house,tv coming on when it had been umpluged,lights being turned on,2 mobile phones breaking within seconds of each other in same house,shadows etc just to name a few things that have happened.......
willy wonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 16:48   #6
Senior Member+

I think you need your wiring checking.
Mind you, a TV which works while unplugged- that's worth having, save a fortune.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 16:50   #7
God Member

There are forums where you can ask for advice (from believers)

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=pa...w=1029&bih=678

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 17:03   #8
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
There are forums where you can ask for advice (from believers)
MargaretR, as it happens I'm married to a 'chalice' and I personally have seen and experienced things which would give you the shivers.
However I still believe there are rational explanations for these things. We just can't find them(and I've tried).
I just can't class 'ghosts' as rational.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 17:37   #9
God Member

I have had psychic experiences too, but make no claims about knowing how to prevent them (if that is what you want).

Some experiences can be interpreted as attempts at messages.
I know most people experience fear, but when you accept the 'paranormal' as 'normal', fear doesn't arise.

One particular visitor I sensed as evil was told to 'pee off', and it did.

Old 07-06-2012, 22:02   #10

Jesus there are some balloons on here. I honestly cannot believe this thread is serious
Claytoner40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 22:21   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claytoner40 View Post
Jesus there are some balloons on here. I honestly cannot believe this thread is serious
Is this you?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg closed mind.jpg (13.4 KB, 4 views)

Old 07-06-2012, 22:41   #12

No Margaret I am honestly VERY open minded but as my dad said to me As far fetched as a bucketload of .... from China. Give me some books or websites to look at and I will approach them with an open mind
Claytoner40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:01   #13
God Member

Quote:
No Margaret I am honestly VERY open minded but as my dad said to me As far fetched as a bucketload of .... from China. Give me some books or websites to look at and I will approach them with an open mind
You will be convinced when it happens to you.
(then you will be a balloon too )

Old 08-06-2012, 20:02   #14
Senior Member+

You can sure fit a load of dots in a bucket that has been in china !

Quote:
Old 12-02-2013, 09:45   #15

To ressurrect this thread: The tip was on northern news this morning,apparently some of the residents on Whinney Hill are complaining about smells coming from the tip.This makes me think:Somebody thought it would be a good idea to put a housing estate on this site next to the tip which had been there for 50 odd years People then buy a house on the eatate next to the tip and then wonder why there are smells!!
Big Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..