Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2009, 20:39   #16
God Member

Re: How bad is the credit crunch really affecting people?

It is bad if you have been working and suddenly get hours reduced or loose your job for whatever reasons... even if that job was not well paid it is really hard to adapt....more so these days at a time when prices for everything have increased.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-03-2009, 20:41   #17
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsay ormerod View Post
It's bad enough to have reduced my nephew to suicide last week.
How much more dire do you want?
The funeral was today by the way and I would like to say a big thank you to the many, many people who turned up to say goodbye to John.
Jeez certainly doesn't get any worse than that. So very sorry for all his family and friends
Old 03-03-2009, 20:57   #18
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

the thing is quite simply, everyones circumstances are different, the newly weds,the single parents etc, must be really struggling wether they are fortunate enough to be in work or not, its a damn site easier fer most folk my age to cut our cloth, have no big mortgage to worry about, not much to save up for etc, ok heating is very expensive n ya need it more as ya get older, but thats about it really. i saw first hand how families struggled back in the 80s as i was involved with helping the miners families, n know how soul destroying these circumstances are. too many do not realise that.
Old 03-03-2009, 21:09   #19
God Member

In the bad old days we didn't have phones (of any sort). Fridges were a luxury.
Almost all the food you ate was prepared and cooked at home - no takeaways other than the chippy
We had lino on the floor and rag rugs that gran made out of fabric scraps.
We didn't feel hard done to because -
...what you haven't had you don't miss
That is why many are feeling the crunch now - what they had, they now miss.
It is a sad fact that this financial mess up has set back our standard of living by 40 years.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 21:13   #20
God Member

this is only the tip of the iceberg.ive been saying for years you cant run a solid economy on plastic money...
cmonstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 21:20   #21
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
In the bad old days we didn't have phones (of any sort). Fridges were a luxury.
Almost all the food you ate was prepared and cooked at home - no takeaways other than the chippy
We had lino on the floor and rag rugs that gran made out of fabric scraps.
We didn't feel hard done to because -
...what you haven't had you don't miss
That is why many are feeling the crunch now - what they had, they now miss.
It is a sad fact that this financial mess up has set back our standard of living by 40 years.
LOL...you had Lino?... you lived in luxury..we were so poor we had boil up our lino and rag carpets for dinner!
Old 03-03-2009, 21:24   #22
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
LOL...you had Lino?... you lived in luxury..we were so poor we had boil up our lino and rag carpets for dinner!
I didn't know you were a Yorkshireman
Seriously though - coffee was a sunday morning only luxury, and chicken maybe at Christmas. Boiled old hens and rabbits are edible believe me

Old 03-03-2009, 21:37   #23
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Seriously though - coffee was a sunday morning only luxury, and chicken maybe at Christmas. Boiled old hens and rabbits are edible believe me
i wouldn't call that crappy "Camp" coffee a luxury,more of a punishment.
Old 03-03-2009, 21:43   #24
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Just can't understand this at all .. you are only a year older than me, and I was fed extremely well, always fruit in the bowl, roast at weekends, home made cakes/biscuits/pies, broths/stews, plenty salad/vegetables. Lovely fruit pies/home made lemonade/jams/bottled fruit etc., and we were not well off ?
Didn't drink coffee then, but was available, and not instant either. Drank mainly water to be honest, but only from choice.

Don't remember any of my friends being without either. ?

School dinners were good too. Did you not stay for school dinners at the Accy High School ? They were good at primary where I went as well Peel Park.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 21:53   #25
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Just can't understand this at all .. you are only a year older than me, and I was fed extremely well, always fruit in the bowl, roast at weekends, home made cakes/biscuits/pies, broths/stews, plenty salad/vegetables. Lovely fruit pies/home made lemonade/jams/bottled fruit etc., and we were not well off ?
Didn't drink coffee then, but was available, and not instant either. Drank mainly water to be honest, but only from choice.

School dinners were good too. Did you not stay for school dinners at the Accy High School ? They were good at primary where I went as well Peel Park.
yeh n i'm younger katex, your family musta been a damn site better off than mine.
Old 03-03-2009, 22:01   #26
God Member

Quote:

I agree we were well fed after rationing ended, but the point I am making is that it was home made from basic ingredients, some home grown.
In the last few decades people have lost the art of eating well cheaply and over rely on readymade meals and takeaways.
Even juice in a carton saves you the trouble of squeezing the fruit and it all costs more

Last edited by MargaretR; 03-03-2009 at 22:03.
Old 03-03-2009, 22:01   #27
God Member

Quote:

Neither can I and I am 5 years older. Steak was 2/6 a pound stewing beef 2/0 a pound. for our younger members we are talking 12.5 p for steak and 10p for stewing steak. That was in 1954 and I can go back further than that.
Chip shop yes but any other outlet no, apart from spud pie on our way home from a night out in Accy.
My mum made pastries, jams, butter and many other tit bits.
A rabbit now and again....trotters, tripe, cow heel made into a stew.
Luckily I and almost all of my mates at that time did'nt either...and that was in Church.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 22:10   #28
God Member

A whole generation has never been taught how to eat well cheaply
Some are feeling deprived now they are having to find out

Old 03-03-2009, 22:14   #29
God Member

I do not believe that the majority of families these days live on takeaways and ready made meals....and certainly not if on benefits.... the economics just do not add up....I would not say it is harder now than say 40yrs ago but I can imagine it's hard to tell your kids you can't afford the same things their mates have.. the old saying "what you never had you don't miss " is not reality.
Old 03-03-2009, 22:16   #30
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
yeh n i'm younger katex, your family musta been a damn site better off than mine.
I don't know Cashy, you were brought up a bit further down from me, weren't you ?

My parents worked in the mills like everyone else, and only one wage when my Gran died (she lived with us, and mum gave up work to be there), but still I saw no lowering of standards. Can understand though, that there must have been some very large families around, and must have been difficult for them; but plenty of work to be had in those days, and endorse what Margaret said re. we expect more these days too.

Like Margaret said also, everything was home made (used to long for a confectionery cake) don't particularly remember rationing either (talked about this on Sat. didn't we). Only reason I thought we weren't as well-off as some of my friends is that I didn't have a record player like my mate ...
katex is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..