Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2009, 00:49   #76
Give, give, give member

Re: How bad is the credit crunch really affecting people?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
No it isn't cheaper
You're right.

That 99p 'bargain' Shepherd's pie is a loss leader, and if you're sucked in to buying only convenience food at that store, you're ultimately going to be paying over the odds, for nutritionally poor food.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-03-2009, 00:53   #77
Give, give, give member

Quote:
When Mancie paid 13p for battermix I doubt whether he got more than 2 or 3 pancakes out of it.
For the same price spent on egg milk and flour he could have doubled the number he made and it wouldn't have been 'bulked up' with preservatives
Also though the initial outlay may be higher, buying basic food ingredients in bulk is much cheaper in the long run.

You don't find many convenience foods in good restaurant kitchens either.

Old 04-03-2009, 00:54   #78
God Member

Many 'meat' ready meals are made from 'reconstituted beef' which is the scrapings off the bones, the sinews, and offal with added beef flavouring YUK

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 00:57   #79
God Member

I think Cook in Sauces are the biggest rip off going, second only to tinned and packet soups

Last edited by MargaretR; 04-03-2009 at 00:59.
Old 04-03-2009, 01:02   #80
Give, give, give member

Quote:
I think Cook in Sauces are the biggest rip off going, second only to tinned soups
I could whip up a tasty sauce from scratch, quicker than someone could open the jar and heat it in a pan.

Sadly I can't safely cook some things anymore.

I'd still be as quick, but the sauce I made might be shaken over all four walls.

Old 04-03-2009, 01:06   #81
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Also though the initial outlay may be higher, buying basic food ingredients in bulk is much cheaper in the long run.

You don't find many convenience foods in good restaurant kitchens either.
Hang on have I missed something? I know as well as enyone how to feed peolpe good food with good ingredients...I was pointing out that you can buy some things cheaply and it's is what most people with limited incomes will do... it's no good preaching about buying the best most expensive food to people who simply will not buy it.. i'm not talking about pancakes....and maybe the statement that you won't find convenience foods in good restaurant kitchens sums the difference up.... Lolly gets £60.50 a week...how many good restaurants do you reckon she visits?.. or indeed anyone else in that position?
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 01:11   #82
God Member

It is the convenience food in packets jars and ready meals which costs more, because you have paid for a factory to do the work of making it, and they use some cheap nasties to try to make it look more economic for you to eat it.

Old 04-03-2009, 01:23   #83
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
Hang on have I missed something? I know as well as enyone how to feed peolpe good food with good ingredients...I was pointing out that you can buy some things cheaply and it's is what most people with limited incomes will do... it's no good preaching about buying the best most expensive food to people who simply will not buy it.. i'm not talking about pancakes....and maybe the statement that you won't find convenience foods in good restaurant kitchens sums the difference up.... Lolly gets £60.50 a week...how many good restaurants do you reckon she visits?.. or indeed anyone else in that position?
I know where I'd rather spend a limited amount of money, and I have, to ensure my dosh went further, and to also end up with tastier and more nutritious food...and it wouldn't be in shop with a freezer full of ready meals.

There's nothing wrong with convienience food per se, as a standyby, or a 'treat', but if that's all you ate, in the long run you'd be poorer in the pocket, and in poorer health.

Old 04-03-2009, 01:37   #84
God Member

Quote:
I know where I'd rather spend a limited amount of money, and I have, to ensure my dosh went further, and to also end up with tastier and more nutritious food...and it wouldn't be in shop with a freezer full of ready meals.

There's nothing wrong with convienience food per se, as a standyby, or a 'treat', but if that's all you ate, in the long run you'd be poorer in the pocket, and in poorer health.
Of course..and I don't believe that many families do live on convienience food because it does not work out to be affordable.. the reminicing about having to go to the chippy for a meal just does not add up... fish and chips round my way are at least £5.50 to take away.. kebabs etc over a fiver for one.. now I'm not having the outlook that peolple can feed a family on that sort of expense.. some poeple really are out of touch with the reality of 2009... but then again if you were born in 1909 then I can see how it must be hard to keep in sync.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 02:16   #85
Resting in Peace

Did my usual mince combination today,Mince and onion,Cottage pie and Spag. Boll.

Cost in total £3-00 but will last at least 3 days.
I nicked the onions and potatoes and carrots but due to restrictions in my rental agreement I can not raise and process my own cattle.

Sorry nearest I could find

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 09:30   #86
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I have to disagree with Mancie.

All the gathered evidence supports the claim that the poorest sections of society spend by far the greatest pecentage of their income on food, but it is food with the least nutritional value.

House of Commons - Environment, Food and Rural Affairs - Ninth Report

Not passing judgement, just making an observation, and it is a generalisation.

Might be because children are being taught the wrong subjects in Food Technology lessons, when really the best lesson they could be taught would be to shown how to cook cheaply and nutritionally, starting from scratch with fresh ingredients.
Got to agree with that Rindi, this was a few years ago though, when I lived in Hassy there was this family lived near me which consisted of 2 adults and 4 children, every night of the week the two eldest kids could be seen in the local Chinese take away buying the tea for the family, Saturdays too, they were a bit stuck on Sundays as this shop was shut at teatime, so they had to catch the bus into Town
Old 04-03-2009, 10:31   #87

When I was in England a year ago I was shocked at the focus on conveniance foods and ready meals. I even commented to my sister at the time does nobody cook anymore. Everything is very expensive to me in England so I assumed people buy them because they are cheap. Let's be honest they sell a lot of them so someone is buying them.
I did get to see Jamie's ministry of food and was shocked at how many of them didn't even know basic cooking skills.
magily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 18:39   #88
God Member

Times are tough ... last year, I had to shoot my Christmas dinner ... and for supper tonight, a fish that I had to catch myself after digging a hole in the ice ... if I hadn't had a bottle of Fireball to keep me company, I don't know how I would have managed .... checked my freezer, and I'm running low on moose and bambi burgers Better check on my stock of ammo, I think I'm running low on the 30.06
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 11:02   #89
Senior Member+

I got a job!!!
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 11:08   #90
Beacon of light

Well done Lolly. I am Sooooo pleased for you. I hope it it the start of something good for you and your son. Great news!
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..