Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2015, 15:40   #16
Beacon of light

Re: How Common Is Your Surname?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Or, as those Roman dudes used to say: Pater semper incertus est." Feel free to correct my Latin.
As if we would!!
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-05-2015, 15:52   #17
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
As if we would!!
I did, just for chance he'd had a subtle play around with the words.
Incertus doesn't mean what I thought it did.
In fact I'd have translated it totally differently, but still applicable!
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2015, 05:26   #18

Eric, interesting re the Slater name. My husband's maternal family were Slaters (mainly from Great Harwood, Clayton-le-Moors and Oswaldtwistle). Good stock!

By the way, one of his great-uncles (Harold Slater), born 1894, emigrated to Canada.

Last edited by dotti34; 13-05-2015 at 05:31.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2015, 06:08   #19
Senior Member+

I think this is a very interesting subject. The thread would be improved if posters would say which particular name they have been looking for
Gordon - a booth is a township |(?) - eg Crawshawbooth.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2015, 07:04   #20
Beacon of light

Well, mine is obvious as I do not use a nickname.....but I also looked for Buckley,Ashton. Blenkiron, Duxbury, and other family names.
I spent a good couple of hours because the site is linked to other genealogy sites.......which are interesting.
Old 13-05-2015, 07:27   #21

Interesting site thanks only 500 and odd with my name !!
Shurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2015, 09:00   #22
Full Member+

I enjoyed looking up my surname. Only 935 world wide....then I looked up my maiden name ha ha there were well over 4 million Smiths.. My dad always said it wasn't common it was popular though.
Rowlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2015, 09:24   #23

Margaret, I think I did once mention that Pilkington came into my husband’s family some years ago (through marriage), well so does Duxbury. Elizabeth Ann married James Henry Aspinall and they were great-grandparents of my other half.

Surnames are very interesting but I didn't realise how many surnames come into one family until I started to do family research. The further you go back and the more there are of course.

A very interesting topic. One name in my family background (Scott) apparently has 778,347 people worldwide with that name.

Last edited by dotti34; 13-05-2015 at 09:28.
Old 13-05-2015, 10:35   #24
Beacon of light

I am glad to see so many people have shown interest in this thread...I thought it might just 'bomb'.
Dotti, my dad was James Henry Duxbury....my grandmother was Sarah Elizabeth Lee(or Leigh not sure of the spelling.)
My Grandma on Ma's side was Blenkiron......I traced the Blenkirons to Horncastle in Lincolnshire....bur I think the name has some Dutch South African connections.
I find the whole genealogical stuff really interesting, but a bit mind boggling too.
I did some research on the family tree a good while ago and it was very addictive.
Old 13-05-2015, 11:10   #25
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
Gordon - a booth is a township |(?) - eg Crawshawbooth.
Bob,don't be a spoilsport. I knew that!

But my research proves my ancestor sailed from the Isle of Man in his longship, up the River Ribble, looting, pillaging and raping as he went(those were the days). Stopping every now and again to bury his treasure when it got too heavy(they found some a while ago, I thought of claiming it).
Up the Hodder and Calder, when they got to the River Stink they had to get out and walk(didn't want to get their longship dirty).
Conquered Crawshaw, called it Crawshawbooth in honour of my ancestor, marched on to the Oak Ringed Town. Looted,pillaged(wouldn't be worth bothering today) but thought it so beautiful they settled there. That was before you had Labour and Tory councils of course, today they'd quickly move on.
As Margaret says, genealogical research is very interesting.
Old 13-05-2015, 11:46   #26

Margaret, I have traced the Duxbury part of my husband’s family back to Ralph Duxbury, born 1696 and his wife Mary (nee Chadwick). They lived in Waterside, Colne. Maybe there is some connection along the way between your dad and this family, although I think there are a number of Duxburys, so maybe not. It would be nice to think so though.

I agree that searching family history is all a bit mind boggling at times but so very interesting, takes a lot of time and a fair bit of ‘detective’ work. It certainly is addictive. Can be very frustrating but also very rewarding when things come together.
Old 13-05-2015, 12:10   #27
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotti34 View Post
Eric, interesting re the Slater name. My husband's maternal family were Slaters (mainly from Great Harwood, Clayton-le-Moors and Oswaldtwistle). Good stock!

By the way, one of his great-uncles (Harold Slater), born 1894, emigrated to Canada.
Not much into the ancestry thing; but I do know that my grandad, John Thomas "Jack" Slater, who was born in 1896, was one of 11 children ... all boys. He was the youngest by the way. The only one I knew was my great uncle Matthew. He was from Ossy ... think he was some sort of Baptist preacher.

My father's two brothers, Frank, from Hapton, and Fred (very creative with names was Jack Slater, both emigrated to Australia in '56. I'm sure of the year because the Suez canal was closed and their P&O liner had a long trip. I believe Frank settled in some place called Tea Tree Gully. Fred I don't know about. He was the black sheep of the family ... gave me my first fag.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2015, 12:39   #28
God Member

Thanks for the link Margaret - very interesting
5468 of us O'Mara's apparently with the bulk being in the US, Australia & England - only 595 in Ireland, thought that would have been higher but seeing as it's only the 80,235th most common name perhaps not surprising??
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2015, 14:03   #29

My Surname is Kenyon, which originated from the Hamlet of Kenyon which is just outside Manchester.
When I was travelling around the World during my career, I started looking up “Kenyon” in the telephone books of the various cities that I was in. I can tell you that there are Kenyons in every major City in the World.

Cheers

Philip Kenyon
landhusweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2015, 15:50   #30
Senior Member+

I traced both our families, both sides, back to the 1850's, gets difficult as it spreads out.
When I got my new PC it didn't transfer across, told I might recover it but never tried. I certainly don't fancy starting from scratch again.
Interesting the curious bits of history you pick up. The woman who had two girls within a year and a half, both with the same name. Check Deaths- the first one died just a couple of months old. Sad.
The very proper Victorian lady who had several children but the first one was christened with her maiden name?? Bet that caused a stir but it didn't stop her getting married!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..