Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-02-2007, 15:31   #31
Resident Waffler

Re: how do you stop your cats from scratching....

I never thought of catnipping the scratching post. I must give that a go. Thanks Billcat.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 26-02-2007, 17:02   #32
Foreign Correspondent

Hope it works for you. Barnaby loves catnip, but even then it took a while for him to start using the scratching post regularly.

When in darkness or in doubt, visit Oswaldtwistle!
Billcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2007, 17:24   #33
Resident Waffler

I'll keep you posted

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2007, 19:33   #34
Yank in King Art's Court!

Glasgow Guy, I'm glad you received alot of good information on this subject. I have 3 cats and usually enjoy them (they stay outside mostly).

I also must admit, the whole family (we are snowed ( 6 inches) in over here) enjoyed some of the more tasteless but quite imaginative of our more "creative" Accywebbers.

Brian, Cindy, Annie, Joshua, and Ryan

LancYorkYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 19:24   #35
Resting in Peace

Orange skin rubbed into where they are doing the damage may work:
cats don's like the smell of it: I tried it when I had a cat and it did seem to work: or maybe that was me shouting everytime the cat went near the chair...
magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 01:53   #36
Yank in King Art's Court!

Now, how do we keep Rindy from scratching?????

Brian

LancYorkYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 02:28   #37
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancYorkYankee View Post
Now, how do we keep Rindy from scratching?????

Brian
i refer you to my first post on this subject
as it should supply an ample solution to this one lyy!

(only kidding rindy)
jedimaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 08:58   #38
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasgow guy View Post
as in the heading..this is obviously aimed at cat owners/lovers so I am looking for thier advice....
following on from my thread about getting rid of my old suite and getting a new one I got up this morning to find that 1 of the cats has scratched it already ..its not too bad but its got me wondering what I can do to stop it from happening again...??
now no doubt I will get the stick the cats in a bag, get rid of the cats, take their claws out, get rid of the suite answers but I would like some help on this...is there some kind of protector you can buy for your suite..?
and we do have scratch posts before anyone asks that..

thanks in advance
kick em up the ass!! ...................joking!!!
Old 29-03-2007, 17:53   #39
God Member

I put cardboard on the floor, and catnip on the scrtatching post ... works for my cat ... now if only I could stop my Rotti from farting!!! Those who suggest things like hammering in a cork are welcome to demonstrate how this is done.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2007, 19:25   #40
Beacon of light

Eric, I'm not sure if this is an urban legend or whether it is true....but here goes.
On one of the Vet program 'phone ins' a woman asked if there was anything she could do to cure her dogs very smelly wind.
The Vet asked what kind of food she was feeding her dog....and it turned out to be one of the most expensive of the tinned dog foods.
'Aah' said the vet....'the food is too rich for your pet......try giving him 'Chappie' (one of the cheapest and most disgusting looking tinned dog foods going)'
The woman thanked him and said she would certainly give it a try.

A few weeks later the same woman again rang the program to say that the advice had been wonderful, but she had another question for the vet.
The question was - How could she get her husband to eat it and was it safe for human consumption.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2007, 20:32   #41
God Member

Cool Re: how do you stop your cats from scratching....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Eric, I'm not sure if this is an urban legend or whether it is true....but here goes.
On one of the Vet program 'phone ins' a woman asked if there was anything she could do to cure her dogs very smelly wind.
The Vet asked what kind of food she was feeding her dog....and it turned out to be one of the most expensive of the tinned dog foods.
'Aah' said the vet....'the food is too rich for your pet......try giving him 'Chappie' (one of the cheapest and most disgusting looking tinned dog foods going)'
The woman thanked him and said she would certainly give it a try.

A few weeks later the same woman again rang the program to say that the advice had been wonderful, but she had another question for the vet.
The question was - How could she get her husband to eat it and was it safe for human consumption.
Jake eats only dry food, and flatulence is common to the breed. I just warn people that the dog's dangerous end is the one without teeth. Love him dearly but he is a real room-clearer.

I know a similar joke, but it is too disgusting for this forum.

By the way, are you related to the Pilkingtons who used to live on Grange St. (I think). Tom was his name. He knew my grandad well, had an allotment behind our house on Rishton Road, by Ringstonhalgh farm. He kept ferrets and usually a wire-haired fox terrier. I knew his son Alan.

From the Great White North

Eric
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2007, 21:04   #42
Beacon of light

I'm not sure Eric......I have only been a Pilkington for some 40 years. I'm sure we must be related somewhere along the way....even if it was only by their cat running through our yard ....I'll have to ask hubby.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2007, 15:01   #43
God Member

I have found that leather furniture is least likely to be attacked. A few pinprick marks where an attempt has been made to claw, but the attempt has been abandoned when other surfaces are easier to dig into.
Scratching posts haven't worked. I wipe down all my leather and wood with Golden Oil Wood Polish & Conditioner. My cat just claws at carpets which doesnt damage them unless you have loop pile.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..