Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2007, 13:26   #1
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

How Does A Film Become Highly Acclaimed?

I fell asleep in front of the Television, (something I can do very easily these days), on waking in the early hours of the morning there was one of these 'high brow' discussion programmes on.
These people were discussing what they described as a Highly Acclaimed, film called Walkabout.

Now this film came out in the early seventies, I used to go to the cinema on a regular basis back then and I remember sitting through about two hours of tedium which was that film.

http://movies2.nytimes.com/gst/movie...ml?v_id=115855

The above link will take you to a few clips to the film.

The plot ran something like this:-

Manically depressed father drives his daughter and young son out into the Australian Outback where he intends to murder them and then take his own life, the man is so pathetic that he can't shoot straight doesn't kill the kids but manages to set fire to his car before killing himself.

Our two heroes then set off into the sweltering heat of the desert rather than walk back the way they came, they are almost dead from hunger and thirst when a young Aborigine boy on walkabout finds them.
He brings them back from the brink of death and then instead of leading them back to civilisation and safety takes them with him walking around in the arrid landscape.
This being a film of the early 70's it has a compulsory nude scene were we get to see Jenny Agutters bush as she's swimming in the only water hole for thousands of miles.
Eventually and with great relief this film draws to a close with brother and sister finally being rescued and the aborigine boy is so traumatised that he wanders off back into the desert, finds the only tree capable of taking his weight and hangs himself. Thus leaving the cinemagoer with the feeling that there must be something really wrong with these two children everyone they know kills themselves!

As I said this panel of experts called this film 'Highly Acclaimed', I personally thougt it was rubbish then and I still think it's rubbish now, surely now that almost 40 years has gone by since it's first showing, if it was trash then would't it still be trash now?

Or do I not have the intellect to understand the subtle nuances of such a top grade movie?

Last edited by Less; 10-02-2007 at 13:30.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-02-2007, 13:42   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: How Does A Film Become Highly Acclaimed?

Put like that Less, does seem open to question ...

Don't think there is any criteria to enjoy a Highly Acclaimed film, just to appreciate, the filming, acting, music, etc., ne'er mind about the story line .. I'd sooner have a low budget film that leaves me feeling satisfied with the plot .. beginning, middle and comfortable end .. that's what I like.

There's a saying in the theatre: 'Leave them asking why didn't have another curtain call?; rather than why did they?' Some films that receive an acclaim afterwards leave me feeling like this.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 16:56   #3
God Member

I always understood 'highly aclaimed' to mean box office failure that the critics loved (or pretended to love because they were a bit poncy and had to keep up appearances).

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 23:31   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

highly acclaimed means its a load of crap n oiks like us do not understand it.(so the toffee-nosed gits think)
Old 10-02-2007, 23:36   #5
Resident Waffler

Bit of an Emperor's New Clothes thing I think.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 00:12   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
I always understood 'highly aclaimed' to mean box office failure that the critics loved (or pretended to love because they were a bit poncy and had to keep up appearances).
a bit like some of the pubic art projects that have been proposed

steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 09:41   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
a bit like some of the pubic art projects that have been proposed

Finally........ someone who's seen through me!

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..