Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2009, 19:12   #16
Senior Member+

Re: How far would you commute

Much of it comes down to how much you earn. Long distance commuting is only acceptable if the pay makes it worthwhile.

The maximum travelling time for me would be 1 hour each way in a car. Any more than that and I'd be looking to move closer to work.
Old 11-06-2009, 19:13   #17

well i must say i dont drive my self are work any more cause of back problem,s but my hart go,s out to all of you that go a long way to do there work.
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 19:21   #18
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallard View Post
well i must say i dont drive my self are work any more cause of back problem,s but my hart go,s out to all of you that go a long way to do there work.
Ah bless ... don't feel sorry Mallard ... it's fun .. what you make it.

My son commutes into work on his bike into the centre of Manchester ...OK .. only 6 miles, but has a colleague who bikes it into work from Burnley everyday !... how's that for true grit ...

P.S. .. I mean push bike, by the way.

Last edited by katex; 11-06-2009 at 19:24.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 19:31   #19

my commute is about 85-90 miles a day and can be easy or a complete pain in the arse but with no jobs in accrington or surrounding areas doing what i do then i have no option, plus i earn £10000 more a year working in warrington than i did in burnley and only spend £1500 more on fuel per year
Old 11-06-2009, 19:53   #20
JFT96

I used to drive from Accrington to Manchester Airport... Now my commute (if you can call it that), involvesTwo Aircraft, Two buses and about 13 hours, I have to swap at Paris and travel between Airports. Distance roughly, 2000 miles
From the hotel to work, normally 20 miles, 40 mins or if unlucky upto 150 miles or 3 hours.

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 22:05   #21
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing Guy View Post
I used to drive from Accrington to Manchester Airport... Now my commute (if you can call it that), involvesTwo Aircraft, Two buses and about 13 hours, I have to swap at Paris and travel between Airports. Distance roughly, 2000 miles
From the hotel to work, normally 20 miles, 40 mins or if unlucky upto 150 miles or 3 hours.

Any offers to top that ...
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 22:35   #22
God Member

I don't commute ... at least I don't commute further than I can walk ... Stauffer Library at Queen's is only a 20 min. walk away ... there again, I don't have a real job; all I'm doing at the moment is writing a couple of articles that will be read by a few undergrads and a couple of graduate students. If anyone is interested in water marks in books printed in the middle of the eighteenth century .... but I doubt it
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 00:13   #23
God Member

Used to have a dream commute 65 miles each way , a reverse commute from the Bay Area over the Altamont Pass into the Central Valley , a four lane freeway mostly empty in the morning whilst the 50,000 cars heading in the opposite direction are either stuck bumper to bumper or travelling at a snails pace , same in the evening .
On occasion have used mass transit (similar to the London Underground)to go into San Francisco for site meetings, no way could I do that every day stuck in an overcrowed stinking train carriage especially during the 10 mile ride under the Bay (I live in Earthquake country)
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 08:58   #24
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

I know someone on this site that commutes not just to Moscow on a regular basis but also to Siberia.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 09:24   #25
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
I know someone on this site that commutes not just to Moscow on a regular basis but also to Siberia.
He does have a screw loose though
Old 12-06-2009, 09:32   #26
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
He does have a screw loose though
Some people believe it's hereditary, I know that isn't true, his upbringing ensured he was screwed uptight.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 20:44   #27
Senior Member+

America

Just because ive always wanted to go there
Old 13-06-2009, 10:07   #28
Senior Member+

when I lived in scotland I made the journey from edinburgh to glasgow daily for a few years..which is about 64 miles round trip...got the better of me though I got a transfer closer to edinburgh...wasnt much fun on a back shift..
glasgow guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2009, 12:17   #29

I commute 35 miles each way but it takes 40 Mins (M65 M6 M55) .... i come on the train sometime, nice & relaxing and reliable but bloomin' expensive!!

I took me longer than that to get from Accrington to Mill Hill in Blackburn last night !
archiveuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2009, 12:21   #30

Used to commute from here to Bruch in Warrington.now my mileage is purely for pleasure
Polly_45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..