Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2009, 06:46   #1
God Member

How far would you commute

blatting down the M66 this morning it struck me that I probably commute more than most people. The question is how far would you be prepared to commute for the 'perfect job'?

In my case I do over 50 miles each way and I'd be prepared to go up to about 75.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

Last edited by entwisi; 11-06-2009 at 06:48.
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-06-2009, 06:51   #2
Senior Member+

Re: How far would you commute

When I left the RAF I spent almost a year commuting between Blackpool and Stockport, not that far but it was getting on for 2.5 hours each way - 1979.
Old 11-06-2009, 07:05   #3
God Member

Travel time rather than distance travelled is what matters.
I would not be willing to spend more than 1 hour a day travelling, and even that represents 2 weeks per year of your life wasted.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 07:26   #4
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
Travel time rather than distance travelled is what matters.
I would not be willing to spend more than 1 hour a day travelling, and even that represents 2 weeks per year of your life wasted.
I think time and ease of journey is more important than distance. I do about 38 miles each way and it takes about 40 minutes at a steady legal speed. It is a very easy drive with almost no stops, just roundabouts and slip roads. I only see one set of lights coming home and the pedestrian crossing in the middle of Ossy.

As for wasting your life driving you could say the same about working. The drive is just part of the working day for me.
Old 11-06-2009, 07:34   #5
Resting in Peace

I spent 16 years doing 30 miles into Manchester and later north of Manchester, besides the 1,000's miles traveling the U.K. (sometimes abroad) to visit customers. Would not mind at all doing more than this. Only took me no more than 40 minutes, especially when the M65 opened. When I went M66/M62 (then) saw the same people every morning waiting in the queue around Whitfield, had quite a social thing going..

When I finished up working in Ossy .. found this more tiring doing the 3 miles, due to traffic up Whalley Road at Clayton and Henry Street Church. Was still going out on the road though, so this compensated.

I never thought that it was a waste of my life Margaret, always loved driving and seeing people every morning and the parts of our country which I would never have seen if it hadn't been for my job. Even driving around London never failed to hold a fascination for me, never tired of our famous landmarks, and the hustle, bustle of pedestrians. Have to relax to it, and get the best from it you can.

I have really got withdrawal symptons, and miss it terribly.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 07:40   #6
God Member

time not wasted just because you are driving. I use it to 'file away' all my working life, listen to some music, take it as thinking time to go through stuff that I want to etc.

Whereas when Julie gets home she's still in 'work' mode I'm in chilled family mode so to me its never wasted time.

I'd agree that how easy it is makes a difference. I've actually made it all the way to work on my bike without using the brakes until I was stopping at work!

My route is 95% motorway and A road/dual carriageway and as I do flexitime I can match my traveling time to teh quieter periods amking it a nicer journey.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 07:51   #7
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I think time and ease of journey is more important than distance. I do about 38 miles each way and it takes about 40 minutes at a steady legal speed. It is a very easy drive with almost no stops, just roundabouts and slip roads. I only see one set of lights coming home and the pedestrian crossing in the middle of Ossy.

As for wasting your life driving you could say the same about working. The drive is just part of the working day for me.
You're right.

Most Londoners commute for a longer period of time than that everyday, and that's if they are lucky enough to live near a tube station.

At least commuting in your car means you don't have to have your nose pressed up against someone's sweaty armpit, or risk getting touched up by a pervert.

That only happens in a car if you're married to one...or pick up a hitchhiker.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 08:44   #8
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

used to commute from Blackpool to Church, also fer a while Presall to church, just regarded it as a necessary evil.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:22   #9
God Member

I used to drive during working hours when I was a 'visiting officer'.
I didn't mind that because I was being paid for that driving time.
The commuting time I regarded as a stressful waste of time.
When I was moved from Accrington to Blackburn office it added 40 minutes to my working day, which I resented.
After one year of that I managed to wangle an early retirement.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 09:22   #10

I commute during term time via public transport to UCLAN Preston and that short distance on many occasion can take up to and over 1hr and 15mins each way.

I try to use this time productively by reading and find it really good in winding down from what can sometimes be long and intense lectures.
nicola68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 09:32   #11
Resting in Peace

Well as some one who spent most of my working life travelling the Country doing my job I would never have a problem really, it just became a way of life really
Old 11-06-2009, 15:22   #12
God Member

I used to do the same commute as you Entwisi down to Knutsford. I did it for about three years but am so glad that I don't do it anymore.

Some days it was great - music on, clear roads etc - but other days it was horrendous. The journey home on Friday night was usually awful.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 18:58   #13
Senior Member+

I commute a total of 70 miles most days (Darwen to Blackpool) and whilst it's not too bad, sometimes it's a pain, especially when I have to stay later for some special event and all I want to do is get home.

I do agree, though, that the time spent driving is when I wind down at the end of the day and I'm usually quite relaxed by the time I get home. Unless there's roadworks or an accident, the journey takes me about 50 minutes. It would be even faster if I lived nearer the M65 and not south of the town.
Old 11-06-2009, 19:08   #14
Resting in Peace

I don't suppose anyone has answered the original question have we ? All our own experiences of heavy commuting. Was aimed at people who don't yet, and would they be prepared to a grab the carrot for the perfect job if it were offered, irrespective of the distance to get to it.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 19:10   #15
God Member

I love travelling. As long as I have time for a couple of hours' kip at home between evening and morning commutes I'll go wherever
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..