Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: how maney mobiles do you have
0 4 13.33%
1 13 43.33%
2 6 20.00%
3 1 3.33%
4 or more 6 20.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2009, 22:58   #31
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: how maney mobile phones do you have

have decided to confess i have one, under duress, so paris can ring me to carry the shopping.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:46   #32
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
have decided to confess i have one, under duress, so paris can ring me to carry the shopping.
It won't be long before we're seeing Mobile device on cashy's posts
Old 04-07-2009, 14:41   #33
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
thats why my nana has one! so she can ring my grandad when she wants picking up from the shops

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 18:08   #34
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shillelagh View Post
3 ... 1 i use regular the others are spares just in case i break the other ... and yes i have managed to break them ... have cracked the screens on them ...
So quit using them to take pics of yourself
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 18:17   #35
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
So quit using them to take pics of yourself
Shoot ... someone already said this .... darn, should read the whole thread.

Don't have one .... last one went out the car window on the 401 at a 160 klicks .... just one bs call too many! Won't get another ... don't need .... I like my peace and quiet; and anyone who wants to phone me can call my land line, which shoots them straight to my answering service. The messages I can ignore at my leisure. If folks are desparate to say something to me, they can send a letter, preferably by snail mail. I've nothing against the technology; in fact, some of it I find fascinating. I just don't need one. I remember when they first came out that the only people who had them were whores and dealers .... now the only ones who don't have them are the Amish.
Old 04-07-2009, 19:11   #36
God Member

Ok ... one has something to communicate; let's call this the "message". And we have something to communicate it with (morse, an upraised finger); let's call this the "medium". Which is more important? What we have to say; or, what we use to say it with? If we use the terms of Marshall McLuhan in this "global village" (he came up with that one; see, not all Canucks are dumb farmers, fishermen and lumberjacks); the medium seems to have become the message.
Old 05-07-2009, 18:26   #37
God Member

Cell phones seem to have become a integral part of life, and perhaps a symbol of the modern world. I found this piece by George Carlin. While it may not be exactly on topic, it does seem to address some of the things that the mobile phone has come to symbolize ... sort of.

The paradox of out time in history is that we have taller buildings, but shorter tempers, wider Freeways, but narrower viewpoints. We spend more, but have less, we buy more, but enjoy less. We have bigger houses and smaller families, more conveniences, but less time. We have more degrees, but less sense, more knowledge, but less judgement, more experts, yet more problems, more medicine but less wellness.

We drink too much, smoke too much, spend too recklessly, laugh too little, drive too fast, get too angry, stay up too late, get up too tired, read too little, watch TV too much, and pray too seldom.

We have multiplied our possessions, but reduced our values. We talk too much, love too seldom, hate too often.

We have learned how to make a living, but not a life. We've added years to life, not life to years. We've been all the way to the moon and back, but have trouble crossing the street to meet a new neighbour. We've conquered outer space, but not inner space. We've done larger things but not better things.

We've cleaned up the air, but polluted the soul. We've conquered the atom, but not our prejudice. We write more but learn less. We plan more, but accomplish less. We've learned to rush but not to wait. We build more computers to hold more information, to produce more copies than ever, but we communicate less and less.

These are the times of fast foods and slow digestion, big men and small character, steep profits, and shallow relationships. These are the days of two incomes but more divorce, fancier houses but broken homes. These are the days of quick trips, disposable diapers, throwaway moratlity, one night stands, overweight bodies, and pills that do everything from cheer, to quiet, to kill. It is a time when there is much in the showroom window and nothing in the stock room. A time when technology can bring you this letter, and a time when you can choose to share this insight or just hit deltet ....

Remember: spend some time with your loved ones; the are not going to be around for ever.

Remember, say a kind word to someone who looks up to you in awe, because that little person soon will grow up and leave your side.

Remember to give a warm hug to the one next to you, because that is the only treasure you can give with you heart, and it doesn't cost a cent.

Remember to say "I love you" to your partner and loved ones, but most of all mean it.

Remember to hold hands and cherish the moment for someday that person will not be there.

And always remember life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

If you don't send this to at least 8 people ... Who cares?

George Carlin.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..