Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2007, 04:05   #1
Yank in King Art's Court!

How "rich" are Accywebbers?

I saw this in a financial newsletter Weblog I subscribe to (Sound Mind Investing). Thought it'd be curious to see where in the world's "richest" Accywebbers fall. I'm in the top ~60,000,000 richest people in the world . . . so I got that going for me!

It does make one rethink how well off many of us in the developing nations are when compare to other areas of the world!

Brian

Here's a site from England that let's you go international and see where you stand on the global rich list. Let's say your family income is $50,000. According to this tool, you're the 59,028,289th richest person in the world (or thereabouts)! That's good enough to put you in the top 1% of the wealthiest people on the planet (check out the "people lined up" graph at the top of the page). Should make you stop and think... and get a little financial perspective.

LancYorkYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-02-2007, 07:56   #2
Resident Waffler

Re: How "rich" are Accywebbers?

This is the bit that puts it into perspective for me.

Quote:
$8 could buy you 15 organic apples OR 25 fruit trees for farmers in Honduras to grow and sell fruit at their local market.

$30 could buy you an ER DVD Boxset OR a First Aid kit for a village in Haiti.

$73 could buy you a new mobile phone OR a new mobile health clinic to care for AIDS orphans in Uganda.

$2400 could buy you a second generation High Definition TV OR schooling for an entire generation of school children in an Angolan village.
It's not how much you have as how much you can obtain with it that really counts. Those 25 fruit trees are worth a lot more than 15 apples even though they cost the same, if you know what I mean.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 08:04   #3
God Member

Bit of a rubbish way to tell! I mean, Bill Gates is on an income of $1 from microsoft isn't he? Yet hes the richest guy in the world
Old 11-02-2007, 20:54   #4
God Member

you sure about that Cyfr, I thought he'd been relegated. remember it also depends on $ rate, with the dollar on its decline his fortune is being hit

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 21:13   #5
God Member

your as rich as you feel,money isnt everything
Old 11-02-2007, 21:16   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashytart View Post
your as rich as you feel,money isnt everything
But you get to feel a bit more of everything if you have plenty of money

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 21:17   #7
God Member

true flashy, money isn't everything, it 'helps' sometimes but family/friends/quality of life is far more importsnt in day2day

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 22:21   #8
Yank in King Art's Court!

I believe the whole idea of plugging a salary is to show how much real suffering there is in the world. I've not put much effort, desire, or thought into to living in the rat race. I get alot of pleasure from the simple things in life.

I know for this country, someone making ~$20,000 may feel somewhat poor from American standards but would actually be much better off then most of the rest of the world.

Brian

LancYorkYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 23:26   #9
God Member

Sites like this are put together to make average folks feel guilty , when at the same time the fat cat bankers/industrialists/politicians are doing as much as possible to destroy the 'western' way of life by shipping jobs overseas to save costs (make bigger profits) and allowing open borders to lower labour costs and cut your standard of living ........apple trees in Honduras .........its a tropical country, apples need frost,
a first aid kit for village in Haiti.........those folks practise voodoo and are cannibals
a clinic for Aids babies in Uganda ........sorry but what happens when they grow up ..........more Idi Amins
a high school in Angola ..........yep , educate the world and then wonder why you have no jobs .
It's like this daft program about fair prices for 3rd world goods .......just more money out of your pocket .

I'm waiting for Bullseyebarb's view on this
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 00:15   #10
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Money isn,t Everything, but its way Ahead of whatevers in 2nd place.
Old 12-02-2007, 11:56   #11
Resident Waffler

Money isn't everything but a shortage of it sure causes problems.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2007, 20:29   #12
Foreign Correspondent

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
a first aid kit for village in Haiti.........those folks practise voodoo and are cannibals
a clinic for Aids babies in Uganda ........sorry but what happens when they grow up ..........more Idi Amins
a high school in Angola ..........yep , educate the world and then wonder why you have no jobs .
It's like this daft program about fair prices for 3rd world goods .......just more money out of your pocket .

I'm waiting for Bullseyebarb's view on this
Looks more than a trifle racist to me!

Somehow, I don't expect many AIDS babies will make it to adulthood, let alone become Idi Amin.

When in darkness or in doubt, visit Oswaldtwistle!
Billcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2007, 20:29   #13
God Member

LOL well in that case niether of you will be expecting me to buy you pint at an Accy web meet up , will you
Old 27-02-2007, 20:47   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billcat View Post
Looks more than a trifle racist to me!

Somehow, I don't expect many AIDS babies will make it to adulthood, let alone become Idi Amin.
no racism intended .....and lots of Aids babies are growing up fine , the gist of my post was intended to point out some of the hypocrisy in all this third world begging , how many times does the west have to wipe out debts only to see more and more Mugabes driving round in limos and selling their countrymen down the drain thru pure personal greed , and officals from western NGOs and other charities living the high life in the best hotels around the world .

re. Idi Amin ....I was working in the south Sudan when big daddy came over the border from Uganda in 81 on his way into exile in Saudi Arabia , with his wives, children and cattle, and a bigger gang of cut-throats I have yet to see , yet they were given safe passage .
Old 27-02-2007, 21:16   #15
Accrington Web Mascot

I only rank 165,617,392 in the world - so if you could lend me a few quid when you come over LYY it would be much appreciated! Although I am still in the top 3% of the world - which means the world is in a pretty poor state of affairs!
ShortStuff is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..