Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-05-2008, 09:51   #1
God Member

Hyndburn Homes - shower install

Last July I asked Hyndburn Homes if they could please install a shower when they do a bathroom refurb due this year.

They told me to contact Social Services to arrange an assessment by an occupational therapist who would decide whether it was needed on 'disability grounds'.

The therapist is coming to see me tomorrow.
When I asked last July, I was told that the bath would be removed and a shower stall would replace it - ie - not possible to provide a shower over the bath.

Does anyone here know why it has to be done that way?
and -- what sort of questions will I be asked tomorrow?

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-05-2008, 13:22   #2
God Member

Re: Hyndburn Homes - shower install

The therapists are very nice, you will be asked about your mobility and assessed for getting in and out of the bath.
Old 18-05-2008, 15:48   #3
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Last July I asked Hyndburn Homes if they could please install a shower when they do a bathroom refurb due this year.

They told me to contact Social Services to arrange an assessment by an occupational therapist who would decide whether it was needed on 'disability grounds'.

The therapist is coming to see me tomorrow.
When I asked last July, I was told that the bath would be removed and a shower stall would replace it - ie - not possible to provide a shower over the bath.

Does anyone here know why it has to be done that way?
and -- what sort of questions will I be asked tomorrow?
They wont put a shower over a bath for safety reasons Margart, I presume your in an upstairs flat as the ground floor are all fitted with showers as standard
Old 18-05-2008, 15:55   #4
God Member

Oh well - will have the bath out and the shower stall in, if that is what it takes to get one.
(I will just find it harder to wash my venetian blinds )

Old 18-05-2008, 17:30   #5
God Member

No disrespect margaret, I wouldnt dare, but the council are taking your age into consideration, the generalise, and the view is that most older tenants will have no use for the bath after a certain time, so they change to a walk in shower, otherwise, if they put a bath in, and then it turns out a few years from now that you cant use it, they will be forced to change again, same with electrical points, they go in any property at disabled hieght now, to save having to adapt for the disabled later.
Old 18-05-2008, 17:33   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Oh well - will have the bath out and the shower stall in, if that is what it takes to get one.
(I will just find it harder to wash my venetian blinds )

I dread to think what the answer is, BUT, which part of your anatomy is your venetian blinds ?
Old 18-05-2008, 17:40   #7

margaret there is a 12month waitin list to see your area occupational therapist;they came to to watch me get in and out the bath ; she said i needed a walk in shower ; that was in jan and im still waitin for hyndburn house to come and put one in ;
pussycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2008, 17:44   #8

sorry read that wrong ;
pussycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2008, 20:22   #9

they will probably make you a wet room,if this is the case they are brilliant me mum had one done earlier this year,the total room floor is non slip
lancscat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2008, 21:12   #10
God Member

Unfortunately - 'wet rooms not supplied' - is what they said last July
The photo of the shower stall they showed me looked rather small
I think I will be getting sore elbows

Old 18-05-2008, 21:25   #11
God Member

They have just done my mates and hers is a wet room.
Old 18-05-2008, 22:04   #12
God Member

Great news - thanks Bernie - sounds like they have had a policy change since I asked last summer

Old 18-05-2008, 22:05   #13
God Member

Looking that way a lot have them in now
Old 18-05-2008, 23:22   #14
God Member

not sure exactly how they fund it in hyndburn but in blackburn with darwen it is done through a disabled facility grant which is means tested... they would never agree to a shower over bath as the disability that requires a shower would not allow you to be able to manage a bath anymore... They are quite strict on their criteria but I cannot say for certain exactly what that criteria is..

hope it goes well, but there can still be a very long wait for the alteration to be done after the decision, but that is usually down to how much money is in the disabled adaptation pot and what priority they put on the work being done.

In blackburn the priorities are being reviewed at the moment.

but as a guidline

P1 - access to toilet
P2 - access to bathing
P3 - access to property

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2008, 00:18   #15
God Member

would have thought showers were preferable to bathtubs just for the water and energy savings, and forget about those hand-held shower heads on a tube you get in French hotels , can't remember the last time I had a soak , (hot-tubs don't count they are designed for communal relaxation )
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..