Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By gpick24
  • 1 Post By Sunflower49
  • 1 Post By DtheP47
  • 1 Post By gpick24

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-09-2013, 15:42   #1
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

I Didn't Ask

Was in the queue at a local supermarket, each customer in front of me paid by card, they were then asked for their post code.

I assumed it was some form of security check.

My turn, I paid cash, 'could I have your Post Code?', no, was my reply, after all she didn't need it.

I don't know why she wanted it, I didn't ask, why should I give it to her?

At best, all I'll get is more crappy fliers through the door.

Last edited by Less; 20-09-2013 at 15:49.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-09-2013, 16:01   #2
Senior Member+

Re: I Didn't Ask

They only want the first bit, not the full post code and they just want to know how far people have traveled to that store and what general areas that store covers.
BERNADETTE likes this.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2013, 23:16   #3
Senior Member+

They ask for first half of post code and apparently its to find out how far you have travelled
Restless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2013, 23:51   #4
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
They ask for first half of post code and apparently its to find out how far you have travelled
so not happy that somone paqrts with their cash at their SHOP they have to know how far you went out of your way to give them your custom

how does knowing how far you travelled effect teh price of milk because if you get a discount for every mile you have travelled ill gladly give them a london postcode

mind you pc world is even better they insist on not only your postcode when purchasing an item but also an email address and contact phone number.I assure them they dont need any information not even my address as if i need them i know where they are and i have a recipt.They even tried telling me on one occasion that they couldnt process teh sale unless i gave them the informaton they wanted so i told them to put the laptop back and i would get it elsewhere.Funny enough they managed after a manager over rode the system to allow no information to be inputed.

and well done to less for remembering we have supermarkets in the UK not superstores :-)

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2013, 04:29   #5

Yes It's just to note where you live/how far you have come to visit their store. I've had this asked of me several times, often when travelling about for work and always hear 'Hey you've come a long way!!'.... As if I travelled from Leeds to London/Sheffield/Manchester etc JUST to visit their supermarket!
Restless likes this.
Old 21-09-2013, 09:35   #6
God Member

were you buying a telly
Old 21-09-2013, 09:36   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonstanley View Post
were you buying a telly:d
myob!
Old 21-09-2013, 10:08   #8
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
mind you pc world is even better they insist on not only your postcode when purchasing an item but also an email address and contact phone number.I assure them they dont need any information not even my address as if i need them i know where they are and i have a recipt.They even tried telling me on one occasion that they couldnt process teh sale unless i gave them the informaton they wanted so i told them to put the laptop back and i would get it elsewhere.Funny enough they managed after a manager over rode the system to allow no information to be inputed.

and well done to less for remembering we have supermarkets in the UK not superstores :-)
Just ask "What are PC Worlds policies and procedures on Data Protection and can you see a copy" Get's em every time
Studio25 likes this.
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2013, 12:06   #9
Senior Member+

The reason they`s like to know where you`ve travelled from is to assess whether there are any areas not covered by any of their shops (not going to call them supermarkets cos I don`t think they are super enough to be able to have that title). If they find any postcodes that aren`t covered, they may then go on to promote their delivery service in that area or if the area is big enough, build a shop there.
Restless likes this.
Old 21-09-2013, 12:59   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpick24 View Post
The reason they`s like to know where you`ve travelled from is to assess whether there are any areas not covered by any of their shops (not going to call them supermarkets cos I don`t think they are super enough to be able to have that title). If they find any postcodes that aren`t covered, they may then go on to promote their delivery service in that area or if the area is big enough, build a shop there.
Perfectly fine, IF they explain it, as I said in my first post, I presumed it was some sort of security check because others paid by card.
So when she asked me with no information forthcoming, I declined.
Even those irritations that ask you to fill in a survey when your walking around, explain what it's for.
If a member of staff asks for my post code, they should be polite enough to explain why they need it.
Old 21-09-2013, 18:47   #11
Senior Member+

They would probably be sick of asking for the post code of every customer that passes through their checkout never mind explaining it as well, but you`re right, it should be explained somewhere, maybe a sign at each checkout or at the entrance. Anything is better than nothing.
Old 21-09-2013, 19:16   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpick24 View Post
They would probably be sick of asking for the post code of every customer that passes through their checkout never mind explaining it as well, but you`re right, it should be explained somewhere, maybe a sign at each checkout or at the entrance. Anything is better than nothing.
Life's a beach, every job has it's drawbacks if you ask for personal and unneeded details you should also explain what they are for.
As I've already said because other customers had paid by card, a security check was imagined, I paid cash no check needed. Did those before me realise it wasn't needed?
Old 21-09-2013, 20:23   #13
Senior Member+

I wasn`t disagreeing with you Less, personally, I think some kind of notice somewhere around the entrance and/or checkout would have been enough and an explanation from staff if requested, but that`s just my opinion.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..