Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-12-2012, 18:55   #16

Re: In search of a ACR

i have been roofing most of my working life, most recent flat roofs (last 25 years or so) would have been laid in modern materials, and far superior to the old flat roof bad name syndrome, i am now retired with two new knees, but i would think if its lasted 17 years, its been laid correctly, and will last indefinetly, roofing products are better these days, not every roofer is a cowboy, whoever did the job originally took care and had pride in his work, remember the old saying if it isnt broke dont fix it,
janloot is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 21-12-2012, 19:19   #17
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael1954 View Post
Great Harwood isn't a newbie. Joined in 2008. Posts have been rare but the earliest is from 2008. This looks genuine to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael1954 View Post
To be fair, he did say the number was disconnected, and although you found them on the web, you could not find a phone number.
It may be genuine n it may not be? Thing is when yeh have seen stuff like this oer the years that have been cons, its much wiser imho to ring alarm bells, when summat is so easy to check out, that is much better in my view than 1 person being conned.
Old 21-12-2012, 19:19   #18
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by janloot View Post
if its lasted 17 years, its been laid correctly, and will last indefinetly, roofing products are better these days, not every roofer is a cowboy, whoever did the job originally took care and had pride in his work, remember the old saying if it isnt broke dont fix it,
Thats why I am checking to see if anyone knows if ACR or their successors are still trading. i.e. they did a good job. It is a simple question. Every 2 years when more than 12 years old, my new insurers require a piece of paper from a competent roofer to say my roof is ok to insure.
greatharwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2012, 19:30   #19
Beacon of light

Maybe if you had put that in your first post you would have got a more sympathetic hearing...although, you were perhaps not to know the things that have gone on before, that make people so very wary of requests such as yours.
susie123 likes this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2012, 20:06   #20
Junior Member+

I was going to write a ranting defence of my request for a telephone number, but decided not to get down to the level of Less and Susie.
Though I would suggest that the Moderator(s) take note of this so called 'spat' and contemplate whether this is the way they want Accyweb to go. With 10 years experience moderating on a similar board there is no way I would allow members to take it upon themselves to take on freelance moderating by beating down and bullying another member.
Less and Susie who, it seems, are not located in Accrington and with 12000 posts and only 150 likes between them, sort of puts them in perspective.

An apology would be nice.

Old 21-12-2012, 20:13   #21
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
He did say the number on their letterhead - from 17 years ago? Could have been changed since then.
Doh! Obviously! T h a t s w h y I w a s a s k i n g
Old 21-12-2012, 20:17   #22
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
No, you have attracted the attention of someone that has seen this con on here before, post five then advertise and disappear with folks cash, without being insulting, prove me wrong.

Last edited by greatharwood; 21-12-2012 at 20:25. Reason: inappropriate
Old 21-12-2012, 20:18   #23
Beacon of light

greatharwood, I can't see why you want an apology......are you so tender hearted that you cannot take those comments?
If you are, then it perhaps explains why you have come here so infrequently.
The two people you quoted have those posts to their name because they come here and contribute to the forum...if everyone visited and posted to the forum as often as you have seemed to do, then there would be no forum to moderate.

You obviously do not know the forum well, or you would appreciate some of the concerns behind what you perceive as a hostile reception.

I am not getting at you here, I am just trying to make you see a little sense and reason.
Old 21-12-2012, 20:30   #24
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
greatharwood, I can't see why you want an apology......are you so tender hearted that you cannot take those comments?
If you are, then it perhaps explains why you have come here so infrequently.
The two people you quoted have those posts to their name because they come here and contribute to the forum...if everyone visited and posted to the forum as often as you have seemed to do, then there would be no forum to moderate.

You obviously do not know the forum well, or you would appreciate some of the concerns behind what you perceive as a hostile reception.

I am not getting at you here, I am just trying to make you see a little sense and reason.
I did wink after the request for an apology...

And you have got to admit I did get a rough ride with some quite personal insults just for asking for a phone number. How as I to know asking for phone numbers for a local lad would be so out of order? Perhaps if I had been asked a question without the venom I would have been able to put everyone's mind at rest.
Old 21-12-2012, 20:44   #25
Beacon of light

I'm sorry, I failed to spot the wink.
I don't know about a rough ride...if you have any complaints about the way other forum members treat you, then there is a little triangle to report the post to the moderators...who will then decide if there was any infringement of the rules.

As I said, you have to know what has gone on in the recent past to really appreciate the concerns that were outlined.
I have always found Accyweb to be a place where genuine help can be obtained...if you have put in some of the brainwork and legwork yourself first.
Some people just don't do that - they want someone else to do it for them( and I'm not suggesting for one minute that, that is you).

The suspicion that some of these requests for help are met with, is understandable when you take these things into consideration.

As for the moderators - it is never a good idea to criticise them for the job they do(which is voluntary).....they cannot read everything, and the rely on people to use their common sense and report posts that are problematic.
Old 21-12-2012, 21:15   #26
Resting In Peace

As far as I know I am innocent of insulting or bullying you. I merely pointed out that by a bit of googling you could have found out for yourself that the company appears to have no phone number. And if as Margaret suggested you had put in your first post the reason you wanted the company's details, ie for the insurance check, you might have got some more helpful feedback.

And if I may be permitted a gentle correction to what you said in post 24, in your first post you did not ask for a phone number, you asked whether anyone knew if the company was still trading.
Old 21-12-2012, 21:32   #27
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

So, I voice my suspicions about post #1, you call me a village idiot and yet you feel insulted?
Don't talk out your bum.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2012, 21:38   #28
Resting In Peace

I like your use of statistics Great Harwood. You suggest that "Less and Susie with 12000 posts and only 150 likes between them" shows that we are somehow we are shown to be the bad guys because of the (?relatively) few likes we have received in relation to the number of our posts. I would remind you that the "like" system has only been in operation for less than four weeks and that Less has probably acquired more likes in that period than anyone else on Accyweb.

Yes, it's Friday night, I'm tired and bored and I wish I were in the pub...
Old 21-12-2012, 21:38   #29

Susie, in his first post he did say trading/contactable and mentioned the previous phone number. By contactable, I inferred he was after a current phone number.
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2012, 21:43   #30
Resting In Peace

Michael, I think we'd better head back to DtheP's thread on Anything Goes. Far more enjoyable over there than this nit pcking.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..