Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-12-2012, 21:47   #31

Re: In search of a ACR

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Michael, I think we'd better head back to DtheP's thread on Anything Goes. Far more enjoyable over there than this nit pcking.
OK, see you there. By the way, I don't have nits!
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 21-12-2012, 22:24   #32
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

It is a post that looks like many others that have been started on site, one person comes on, asks about a service or company and lo and behold usually within an hour or so the owner of a company logs in and announces their presence.
Getting free advertising on the site without anyone knowing if they are good, bad or indifferent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
No, you have attracted the attention of someone that has seen this con on here before, post five then advertise and disappear with folks cash, without being insulting, prove me wrong.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2012, 22:31   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by janloot View Post
not every roofer is a cowboy,
I absolutely agree, I've known several decent and honest roofers/building workers, unfortunately there are some cowboys as well, caution needs to be applied when dealing with expensive repairs.
I applied this caution and my doubts, I would rather be wrong than have one member of our site ripped off by the unscrupulous.
Old 21-12-2012, 22:58   #34
Junior Member+

@ Margaret + michael1954 - thank you for your sensible contributions

@ janhost - just seen the weather forecast and am comforted by your professional opinion of my 17 year old roof!
greatharwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2012, 23:07   #35
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
I like your use of statistics Great Harwood. You suggest that "Less and Susie with 12000 posts and only 150 likes between them" shows that we are somehow we are shown to be the bad guys because of the (?relatively) few likes we have received in relation to the number of our posts. I would remind you that the "like" system has only been in operation for less than four weeks and that Less has probably acquired more likes in that period than anyone else on Accyweb.

Yes, it's Friday night, I'm tired and bored and I wish I were in the pub...
Yes, I do apologise about the 'likes' comment. Isn't it annoying when someone makes comments about you when they have the facts wrong. Hope you managed the pub.
Old 22-12-2012, 01:30   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatharwood View Post
With 10 years experience moderating on a similar board there is no way I would allow members to take it upon themselves to take on freelance moderating by beating down and bullying another member.
You claim to have 10 years experience as a mod and yet your second post today was hardly correct.
Under no circumstances was I Moderating, beating down or bullying another member.
An unknown posted, we have had similar posts, I gave a list of reasons why I found your post suspect working on past experience.

Your expert moderators reaction?

Quote:

Unfortunately I seem to have attracted a reply from the village idiot.
In comparison my reply was quite polite,
Quote:
No, you have attracted the attention of someone that has seen this con on here before, post five then advertise and disappear with folks cash, without being insulting, prove me wrong.
Perhaps your style of modding is the reason you are perhaps an ex mod?
Certainly your style of reply could do with a touch of moderation.

I would rather warn fellow members than have one of them possibly ripped off.

You showed a copy of a receipt, o.k. you may be genuine I will however continue to put my friends interests before those of a stranger every time.
Old 22-12-2012, 08:34   #37
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
You claim to have 10 years experience as a mod and yet your second post today was hardly correct.
Under no circumstances was I Moderating, beating down or bullying another member.
An unknown posted, we have had similar posts, I gave a list of reasons why I found your post suspect working on past experience.

Your expert moderators reaction?

In comparison my reply was quite polite,

Perhaps your style of modding is the reason you are perhaps an ex mod?
Certainly your style of reply could do with a touch of moderation.

I would rather warn fellow members than have one of them possibly ripped off.

You showed a copy of a receipt, o.k. you may be genuine I will however continue to put my friends interests before those of a stranger every time.
Well on production of a receipt, then i can accept this was a genuine request, What i do not accept is anyone has bullied this fellow, I also find it unbelievable that he has modded fer 10 yrs on a similar board???? Is anyone aware of a similar board thats lasted that long?Thats summat else we had a fair few of oer the years "Mods From Other Boards" always strikes me as funny, how they feel the need to announce that fact? Would that be cos they see themselves as more important than us plebs? After calling Less the Village Idiot, i think that seems to be the case,
Old 22-12-2012, 09:16   #38
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Well on production of a receipt, then i can accept this was a genuine request, What i do not accept is anyone has bullied this fellow, I also find it unbelievable that he has modded fer 10 yrs on a similar board???? Is anyone aware of a similar board thats lasted that long?Thats summat else we had a fair few of oer the years "Mods From Other Boards" always strikes me as funny, how they feel the need to announce that fact? Would that be cos they see themselves as more important than us plebs? After calling Less the Village Idiot, i think that seems to be the case,
Well after giving this some thought i can recall one of our ex members who has been a mod 10yrs, though the board is no way similar to this!!Long term members here will remember he left here sulking, cos the majority did not agree wi summat he said.and he would not accept the fact he was wrong.Does that ring any bells wi this poster?? This could possibly be that old member Posting this fer friend or family member? stranger things have happened.
Old 22-12-2012, 11:39   #39
Junior Member+

Quote:
Would anyone know if ACR Roofing Contractors are still trading/contactable. They did a good job on my flatroof some years ago and I would like them to come back and check it over.

The phone number on the their letterhead is now an unconnected private number. The address was Trawden Close.

Thanks
How can a simple uncontroversial question cause so much unnecessary hassle?
The assumptions (without any evidence) that have been made about me and my motives, commonsense (yes, I have heard about Google!) and my experience, have been ludicrous.
As Adrian Shurmer used to say, in another context, never ASSUME - you will make an ASS of U and ME.

Despite what Less assumed about me after only 46 words, my question was genuine. I am genuine. I do know about Google and I have run a Yahoo Group since 1999. I don't think I am necessarily better than anyone else, though other people, by their actions or words, may well prove that, in fact, I am.

Here in Accyweb you have a huge local resource and a great place for people to get connected, yet it seems if you ask what some members think is the 'wrong question' you are slapped down without any reasonable enquiry.
To be faced by Less's initial incoherent contribution, out of the blue, makes you think WTF!
Just to show what a good guy I am I think I'm right in saying that I am the only poster to have apologised in this thread
A great welcome to Accrington!
Old 22-12-2012, 12:28   #40
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
To be faced by Less's initial incoherent contribution, out of the blue, makes you think WTF!
Just to show what a good guy I am I think I'm right in saying that I am the only poster to have apologised in this thread
What a load of sanctimonious crap, all yeh have apologised for,is the "Likes" comment, No way have yeh conceded there is a valid reason fer that comment, Its probably beyond yeh to even consider that, So as fer yeh being a good guy, the jurys out wi me. anyway I'm off to the match now so bye bye.
Less and susie123 like this.
Old 22-12-2012, 13:08   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
What a load of sanctimonious crap, all yeh have apologised for,is the "Likes" comment, No way have yeh conceded there is a valid reason fer that comment, Its probably beyond yeh to even consider that, So as fer yeh being a good guy, the jurys out wi me. anyway I'm off to the match now so bye bye.
I'll quote you rather than the diatribe of hurt in Clayton if you don't mind cashy.
He wants an apology? On your monocycle you winghing pleb.
I've already been far too polite with you, get thee from this place until you can actually post like what we does.
Old 22-12-2012, 13:27   #42
Beacon of light

Quote:

Nope.......I apologised to you for missing the smiley at the end of a post.

This thread has gone on far longer than it would have if everyone just took things with a pinch of salt.

I did try to explain Less' motives for what you saw as an inflammatory repsonse......There was no need for anything else to be said.

As for the receipt.......well, it could be genuine, but then again anyone with a modicum of computer savvy could have formulated that.......it proves very little....Not that I am casting aspersions on your integrity greatharwood...I'm not. I am just trying to be a devil's advocate...a balanced poster....seeing both sides of the discussion.
Less likes this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2012, 13:38   #43

Unfortunately Margaret there aren't two sides to the argument so far as he's concerned, he's right and I'm a village idiot.
The pinch of salt I'll take with it, though too much salt is bad for you.
I've enjoyed Learning from an ex mod I do wonder, with his display of moderator skills, how did his site last ten years?
Old 22-12-2012, 14:41   #44
Beacon of light

Less, only a pinch...not a sackful.
We need a little salt to survive.
As for the 'two sides to an argument' thing...maybe arguments/discussions are like versions of the truth, there is your truth, his truth and then something in the middle which is probaly the 'real' truth.

A sense of perspective is all that is required.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2012, 14:51   #45

[QUOTE=Margaret Pilkington;1033563

A sense of perspective is all that is required.[/QUOTE]

Yes, how true, I will continue to perceive in favour of members that I know.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..