Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2009, 21:39   #16
Senior Member+

Re: indigestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
Since you got the Gaviscon free on prescription you may as well use it.
The thickener will make it more palatable than bicarb alone
I posted that info for people who pay for prescriptions or who buy from chemists
Em is entitled to free prescriptions and to be honest, no chemist /pharmacist would sell a pregnant lady anything for indigestion without first referring her back to her GP. All OTC meds have very clear warnings about use in pregnancy and it just isn't worth the risk for either the patient or the pharmacist who could quite easily lose their certificate to practice.
Old 09-02-2009, 21:45   #17
Resting in Peace

Never had indigestion Emamum, but as nothing is working at the moment due to baby pushing up that diaphragm of yours, can only suggest prevention rather than cure.

Keep off the fats, cut down on the amount, take your time over a meal and chew slower ... and don't rush about too much after a meal (know 'tis difficult with Ty.. LOL).
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 22:42   #18
Senior Member+

My Nana used to say that if you suffered with heartburn or indigestion when pregnant your baby would have lots of hair!

Hope it gets better soon.

So much muck to eat before you die
junetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 23:07   #19
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

i found gaviscon about as much use as a fart in a spacesuit was prescribed both liquid n tablets in early 90s, agree wi margaret bi-carb is as good as owt.
Old 10-02-2009, 10:54   #20
God Member

A regular customer who comes in co op says she buys soda water for heartburn/indegestion... never tried it myself but she says it definitely works
Old 10-02-2009, 12:03   #21
Beacon of light

eat small light meals, as when you are heavily pregnant food leaves the stomach very slowly. Eat sitting upright and don't be tempted to lounge around after eating food...sitting upright for as long as possible after your meal.
Soda water might not help as it may cause distention of the stomach with trapped bubbles in the drink.
The advice from Kate is spot on too.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 12:13   #22
God Member

Another tip I was given is that when you lie down, lie on your left side.
That helps the acid stay in your stomach, where it should stay, just with the help of gravity.
This will make sense to you if you are aware of the shape and position of the stomach in the body.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 12:23   #23
Give, give, give member

Like MargaretR I use bicarbonate of soda.

If you have nothing in at all, sipping boiled water seems to work too.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 12:39   #24
God Member

There are many over the counter, and prescribed drug, remedies for excess acid.
All are described as harmless.........but some aren't.
Acid in the stomach is there for a reason - to aid digestion. When it becomes excessive and causes discomfort we look on it as something to be curbed/limited/reduced/restricted.
There are potential risks to doing so.
I have a hiatus hernia whereby the valve between my stomach and the food pipe from my throat is faulty. This means that acid has more opportunity to leak up from the stomach and cause heartburn and inflammation.

My docs 1st reponse was to prescribe Losec which lessens your capacity to produce acid. When this gave me headaches he switched me to Zantac (generic name Ranitidine).

I know people who have been so prescribed who take these daily for years, to prevent heartburn, whether they actually experience heartburn or not. Therein lies the danger

Stomach acid is an essential part of the process by which we extract vitamins from the food we eat. To restrict that extraction process results in a slow insidious decline in health.....................it is just one of the factors which has caused my current health problem

PS some over the counter remedies contain aluminium which is toxic to the brain - always read the label

Last edited by MargaretR; 10-02-2009 at 12:42.
Old 10-02-2009, 12:46   #25
Senior Member+

the doctor gave me ranitidine as well, im not taking them

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 12:52   #26
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by emamum View Post
The midwife will give you that when you go into labour.

I have seen this for sale in B & M I think it was, it does work, although I did only take it during labour and the rest of the time I just took rennies and put up with it lol
emzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 12:52   #27
God Member

Quote:
As a brief short term solution to a problem, you wont suffer harm - it is prolonged use which causes the damage.

If your heartburn/acid problem is as bad as it sounds you DO need to prevent the risk of your food pipe becoming inflamed.

Old 10-02-2009, 12:56   #28
Senior Member+

the ranitidine was because i am throwing up from it, im supposed to take one before i go to bed, i really dont want to take anything thats not really important, im trying a bit of everything to try and avoid the tablets lol

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 13:06   #29
God Member

Quote:
the ranitidine was because i am throwing up from it, im supposed to take one before i go to bed, i really dont want to take anything thats not really important, im trying a bit of everything to try and avoid the tablets lol
Curbing the acid for the short time left before the birth wont harm you
Violent retching could - so consider using them please

Old 10-02-2009, 13:57   #30
God Member

i know pastry give my bro indigestion, if you eat a lot of pastries try keeping off them

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..