Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-05-2007, 20:30   #1
Senior Member+

Insurance

im 16 in about 7 months and my mum told me to get a scooter before i go and learn how to drive a car thus to get road experience would my no-claims discount (if i get one) be transferred to my car when i deciede to take up 4 wheels instead of 2.
Nickelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 30-05-2007, 20:39   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Insurance

Generally, the answer is no. However, there may be some companies who would give you some bonus when transfering from bike to car insurance. I know Direct Line used to do it, but that was about 5 years ago.

Remember, you have to hold the policy for a full 12 months before you get any NCB.
Old 30-05-2007, 23:14   #3
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickelson View Post
im 16 in about 7 months and my mum told me to get a scooter before i go and learn how to drive a car thus to get road experience would my no-claims discount (if i get one) be transferred to my car when i deciede to take up 4 wheels instead of 2.
No, but some may class it as road experiance like you say, also the insurance will be way cheaper, third party only on a scooter than trying to insure a car at 17.
Old 31-05-2007, 04:50   #4

we payed £186 for my sons insurance when he was 16 half years old on a scooter
Old 31-05-2007, 06:27   #5
God Member

ah but when was that!

I seem to recall a conversation with someone where they bought a scooter and got free insurance, when it came up for renewal it was almost cheaper to buy another new scooter.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2007, 12:06   #6
Senior Member+

Scooters are terrible to insure anything more that Third Party Only as the Theft risk is so high.

Prices today arnt so bad even for a 17 yr old. TPO though.
Old 01-06-2007, 15:04   #7
Senior Member+

Nickelson i felt when i was nearly sixteen to get a scooter but time just flys and you might aswell wait untill your seventeen to drive a car! Save your money and use it for your driving lesson and to put towards a car when your 17!

fc:stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 17:11   #8
Senior Member+

i bought a brand new scooter this year as i was 16 and i got a deal which insureance was only 200quid so that was not bad and it is easie for when you drive as you know all roads so get a bike its top fun

The Harder The Conflict, The More Glorious The Triumph

MCR ADIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 20:25   #9
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR ADIM View Post
i bought a brand new scooter this year as i was 16 and i got a deal which insureance was only 200quid so that was not bad and it is easie for when you drive as you know all roads so get a bike its top fun
Have you enquired what the premium might be next year. I bet its a lot more than £200.
jimmi5bellies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 16:46   #10
Senior Member+

ii but il be driving befoe september so i can cancel it and just pay the rest of what i have to pay for the scooter than sell

The Harder The Conflict, The More Glorious The Triumph

MCR ADIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 07:04   #11
God Member

Bikes/scooters are a good thing for all drivers. You learn a lot more road sense when you are out on a bike, you also learn just how vunerable you can be and learn road manners to accomodate. Take these skills into a car and you will naturally become a better car driver.

The bit that hooked me was just how cheap it was to go so fast. My £700 750cc bike was capable of >130 with 0-60 in under 5 seconds, My first few cars(significantly more money to both buy and insure) were capable of just over 100 with 0-60 times in about 10 seconds. As a bit of an adrenaline junkie guess which one I preferred!

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 19:39   #12
Senior Member+

Top speeds are irrelevant, unless you're on a race track.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..