Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-01-2015, 20:26   #16
Senior Member+

Re: Is Accrington going to become a haven for the homeless?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtheP47 View Post
Well better a pedant than a bell end with bluntly telegraphed messages and ambiguous posts.
Well look who's rocks have grown,I can only assume your last infraction has expired

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-01-2015, 20:36   #17
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accyexplorer View Post
I assume most towns have homeless folk in them.....You may of seen the poor guy who sleeps outside the old blockbuster video store or perhaps that "Johno" chap that sleeps outside the old tax office,I doubt you've seen the chap who lives in a container on the farm near mother redcap or the young lad who wanders from Bburn along the canal and sleep in a abandoned factory.

Now,I must emphasize, 'in no way am I having a go at these charities' but with places like hyndburn help I think that's it's name,the shop across from the town hall,maundy grange and St James church etc helping out these poor souls that are down on their luck,is Accrington going to become a haven for the homeless?
Just out of curiosity, where in the above have you actually connected the title, Is Accrington going to become a haven for the homeless?

with, Accrington becoming a haven for the homeless?
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2015, 20:43   #18
Senior Member+

Yet there are so many empty houses up for rent... around £450 a month for many of them.Price of renting is so extortionate perhaps its more prosperous to sleep outside
Old 28-01-2015, 21:16   #19
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
I've never really been one for being intimidated/irritatited by folk that are different from myself,though obviously I can see how some folk could see these folk as anti social characters.

As for the football threads.....Hmmm, think I'll give that one a miss
Oh so anti social aint asking fer money,fags, and selling yer methadone yeh got when the chemist opened on Peel St, is not anti social to a cretin like you? in full view of all n sundry.
Old 28-01-2015, 22:14   #20
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Just out of curiosity, where in the above have you actually connected the title, Is Accrington going to become a haven for the homeless?

with, Accrington becoming a haven for the homeless?
Seen as you seem interested .....Your right,I didn't mention the kid was from mill hill and the chap living at red cap farm is originally from ossy....not a million miles away but not technically Accy lads.

password--Accyweb

Last edited by Accyexplorer; 28-01-2015 at 22:24.
Old 28-01-2015, 22:17   #21
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Oh so anti social aint asking fer money,fags, and selling yer methadone yeh got when the chemist opened on Peel St, is not anti social to a cretin like you? in full view of all n sundry.
I think it's past someone's bedtime

password--Accyweb
Old 29-01-2015, 06:37   #22
I am Banned

Quote:
Well look who's rocks have grown,I can only assume your last infraction has expired
Well done sunshine.
You finally get something right in your assumptions even though you are typing one handed with your pants round your ankles.
Restless likes this.
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2015, 06:38   #23
Beacon of light

The poor are always with us....and will be forever.
It does not matter how you help some people, you can lift them out of the hole they have dug for themselves and they will go and dig themselves another hole.
During my working life I had a friend who was a social worker.... A lovely lady who was kind and non judgemental.
Some of her clients made her despair.
These men that you cite have had some part to play in their current situation.
We cannot expect the government(of whatever colour) to be responsible for us if we cannot exercise some responsibility for ourselves......and then complain of government 'meddling'.
I do not want to live in a nanny state......one where a government department takes away the control of my life.

You need to know the backgrounds of these homeless people...how they became homeless, and why they remain homeless....and what efforts they have made on their own behalf.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 29-01-2015 at 06:41.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2015, 09:32   #24
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtheP47 View Post
Well done sunshine.
You finally get something right in your assumptions even though you are typing one handed with your pants round your ankles.
I almost put a like against this post, but decided against it, after all there would be something perverse about liking a post that conjures up the image of a complete Richard in such a position.
Restless likes this.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2015, 09:48   #25
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
You need to know the backgrounds of these homeless people...how they became homeless, and why they remain homeless....and what efforts they have made on their own behalf.
There are numerous reasons one could find oneself on the streets,for example,the young lad from mill hill was physically abused by his dad and the chap from red cap farm split up with his wife after coming home to her in bed with another fella (neither take drugs or want to be homeless),the chap outside the tax office however is allegedly protesting about benefits.
As far as efforts go,i can only assume they've tried to help themselves but it only takes a few hard knocks before depression got the better of them.

Where would i find the stats for homelessness applications in Accrington?

password--Accyweb

Last edited by Accyexplorer; 29-01-2015 at 09:52.
Old 29-01-2015, 10:18   #26
Beacon of light

Both of the situations you cite are very sad, but they are not insurmountable......there are charities out there who do help in such situations.....but you have to search out that help.
Many people want someone else to do all the legwork....they abdicate responsibility for themselves.....and you cannot do that.
As for assumptions, they are dangerous things.....you cannot assume anything.
Old 29-01-2015, 11:03   #27
Senior Member+

Quote:
Both of the situations you cite are very sad, but they are not insurmountable......there are charities out there who do help in such situations.....but you have to search out that help.
Many people want someone else to do all the legwork....they abdicate responsibility for themselves.....and you cannot do that.
As for assumptions, they are dangerous things.....you cannot assume anything.
"insurmountable" I doubt its that simple M,it only takes a few "hard knocks" in a short period to become depressed and bury your head in the sand or turn to drugs etc as a form of escape.
I truly hope your not saying it's their own fault for not doing something about it?
Why would any homeless person want to stay in that position?
Only a assumption (again) but I'm pretty sure that if a homeless person had a chance to change and not be homeless they would.

password--Accyweb
Old 29-01-2015, 11:39   #28
Beacon of light

You know me far better than to think I am saying it is their own fault....when you have a problem you have to be responsible enough to seek out solutions......burying your head in the sand is not an option....Most people will have some family that they can turn to...unless of course there are other things in their lives which have caused estrangement there as well....and if that is the case then maybe that has some bearing on their homelessness.
Old 29-01-2015, 11:54   #29
Senior Member+

Quote:
You know me far better than to think I am saying it is their own fault....when you have a problem you have to be responsible enough to seek out solutions......burying your head in the sand is not an option....Most people will have some family that they can turn to...unless of course there are other things in their lives which have caused estrangement there as well....and if that is the case then maybe that has some bearing on their homelessness.
I didn't think you was without compassion,but i had to make sure

Its worth mentioning that there are folk that are homeless that are not simply down on their luck but suffer mental illness's etc and have no family members to back them up

password--Accyweb
Old 29-01-2015, 12:25   #30
Senior Member+

The gov spends hundreds of thousands (probably 'billions') on killing folk around the world, Why can't they spend a little of that money caring for our homeless etc?
Is there really no hope

password--Accyweb

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..