Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Is Christianity a force for good?
yes 6 40.00%
no 9 60.00%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree83Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-12-2013, 00:40   #46
Senior Member+

Re: is Christianity a force for good?

As they say, the most difficult thing to believe about Christianity is Christians.
But then again, Christians are no different to non Christians, they are 'fallen/sinful/do and desire to do wrong', live in a fallen world and are tempted by the same desires and pitfalls of the flesh and the world around them.
From my understanding, becoming a Christian never exempted you from these things, far from it.
Your priorities change.

Of course, not all Christians are the same.
IMO its a fair analysis to say the current mainstream Christianity of Catholicism and the CofE in the UK is NOT easily identifiable of the early Christians in the new testament portion of the bible.
Jesus had no time for rituals, robes and pomp - he had nothing but distain for it. He talks far more of the poor and the spiritual health of individuals and nations.
Of course there are some streams of Christians who are more alike to the early church in the Bible, but as usual they care not for political influence or social recognition thus the image of Christianity expressed in he UK is far from the original church.

Christianity is a radical belief, that changes peoples entire lives that they are prepared to risk them to sacrifice them to share the good news with others.
It is fully transforming, demanding everything, with believers willing to lose their own lives and identity to gain it in God.
It is not for pew fillers, sermon samplers, part timers, sunday attendee's who pick up God on a Sunday morning and put him back in a box the second they leave church until next Sunday comes around.

Its a big debate.

IS Christianity a force for Good.
Yes, when its not diluted.

I could go on...
WillowTheWhisp and egg&chips like this.
DAV007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-12-2013, 00:48   #47
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

is Christianity a force for good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAV007 View Post
I could go on...
And on, and on, and on, and...
jaysay, Eric and DAV007 like this.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2013, 07:58   #48
Beacon of light

You can be Christian without being evangelical.....without putting your belief in other peoples faces. Being Christian can be a private thing between you and your God....you do not need vast buildings or special places to carry out your devotions......you can pray anywhere......and on any day!
Some people are offensive in their trumpeting of their faith(and these are not just Christians)......they make me wonder if the trumpeting of their faith is more important than the faith itself.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2013, 10:41   #49
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAV007 View Post
I could go on...
You do
jaysay and Eric like this.
Old 17-12-2013, 17:27   #50
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
You can be Christian without being evangelical.....without putting your belief in other peoples faces. Being Christian can be a private thing between you and your God....you do not need vast buildings or special places to carry out your devotions......you can pray anywhere......and on any day!
Some people are offensive in their trumpeting of their faith(and these are not just Christians)......they make me wonder if the trumpeting of their faith is more important than the faith itself.

Matthew 18:20.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2013, 17:39   #51
God Member

When considering how the "Church" distorts Christianity, I sometimes consider the ironies. This one in particular, given the current Pope:

Basilica of San Francesco d'Assisi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is what the Church considers a fitting memorial for a man who gave up wealth, embraced poverty, and preached in the streets.
Old 17-12-2013, 17:44   #52
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Matthew 18:20.
Thank's for the results, so, Matthew lost by two points to ,
did the match have any send off's? Did it go into extra time? No use just giving us the final score, we need to know the action.
Restless likes this.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2013, 18:01   #53
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Thank's for the results, so, Matthew lost by two points to ,
did the match have any send off's? Did it go into extra time? No use just giving us the final score, we need to know the action.
It's a sign of the times ... short forms ... and I'm getting with it ... If you are interested in more details jfgi.
Restless likes this.
Old 18-12-2013, 18:47   #54
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
And of course the shelving is made from the bones of sacrificed virgins
It's OK to joke - but doesn't it bother you that millions of pages of ancient texts are sitting below the Vatican and we probably will never know what they contain, in our life time!?
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2013, 18:55   #55
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Why should it bother anyone? won't make a blind bit of difference to my life.
Old 18-12-2013, 18:58   #56
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Why should it bother anyone? won't make a blind bit of difference to my life.
Course it should - as we have all been brainwashed by the Christians; for a start if there was a Jesus he wasn't born on Christmas day, the fact we are all celebrating this festival is a form of conditioning. So it is directly making a difference to your life - because of Christmas.

Some of these documents may have information that completely proves Jesus was not born on this day. Or in fact did not exist at all.

Last edited by kestrelx; 18-12-2013 at 19:01.
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2013, 19:00   #57
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
It's OK to joke - but
It's OK to believe conspiracy theories - but its not OK to expect everybody to believe them.
cashman and Boeing Guy like this.
Old 18-12-2013, 19:15   #58
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Course it should - as we have all been brainwashed by the Christians; for a start if there was a Jesus he wasn't born on Christmas day, the fact we are all celebrating this festival is a form of conditioning. So it is directly making a difference to your life - because of Christmas.

Some of these documents may have information that completely proves Jesus was not born on this day. Or in fact did not exist at all.
So what fact or fiction, couldn't care less.
Boeing Guy likes this.
Old 18-12-2013, 19:21   #59
Senior Member+

Quote:

As you're obviously not a Christian what does it matter?

Celebrate it as the pagan festival for the Winter Solstice-paint your woad on, set your mother-in-law on fire and dance round her.

Probably more fun than a traditional Christmas. She always drank all the sherry.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2013, 19:37   #60
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
It's OK to believe conspiracy theories - but its not OK to expect everybody to believe them.
Its probably the norm in cloud cuckoo land where he hails from Restless, conspiracy theorist are us

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..