Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Is Christianity a force for good?
yes 6 40.00%
no 9 60.00%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree83Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-12-2013, 18:43   #61
Resident Waffler

Re: is Christianity a force for good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Matthew 18:20.
.....and also of course 28:19 which explains why Christians feel the need to share their beliefs with others.

The thing is that Christians are just people, like anyone else be they Jew, Muslim, Sikh, Buddhist or even atheist. We're all human. We're probably all trying to live our lives the best we can but we all also make mistakes and mess up. We lose our temper at times, we get frustrated, we are sometimes sad, sometimes deleriously happy. We laugh, we cry, we love, we mourn. As Christians we acknowledge our imperfections and express our gratitude to Jesus Christ our Saviour for his unconditional love and atoning sacrifice on our behalf

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
It's OK to joke - but doesn't it bother you that millions of pages of ancient texts are sitting below the Vatican and we probably will never know what they contain, in our life time!?
I wouldn't go so far as to say it bothers me. I am curious about what is there though and why the powers that be seem to think we need to be protected from the knowledge contained in these documents. It doesn't worry me though because one day all truth will be known and I believe we do have enough information if we are willing to search it.

I personally don't go a bundle on all the trappings and paraphernalia of many churches. I prefer simplicity and believe it is closer to what Christ himself was trying to get across to people. However, others do like to praise God with beautiful creations. We should all be free to choose our preference whatever that is, and whatever we believe.

Last edited by WillowTheWhisp; 18-12-2013 at 18:44. Reason: oops! typo!
WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-12-2013, 23:11   #62
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
It's OK to joke - but doesn't it bother you that millions of pages of ancient texts are sitting below the Vatican and we probably will never know what they contain, in our life time!?
You just had to bring this up didn't you ... next thing you know, it will be the subject of another third-rate novel by Dan Brown ... followed by the inevitable fourth-rate movie starring Tom Hanks
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2013, 01:31   #63
God Member

Just crossed my mind (short trip, eh) that Christianity can be seen as a force for "great": great art, great music, great architecture, great literature (one doesn't have to think beyond the King James Bible), great rap music ... a truly inspirational movement. I do realize that there are downsides ... Christianity and science don't seem to get along all that well, altho' they did until about the middle of the thirteenth century ... but there are definite positives ... not least of which was the half day holiday on All Saints Day Guess where I went to school.
Old 19-12-2013, 07:05   #64
Beacon of light

My daughter went to All Saints, and her children go to All saints too.
There is nothing at all wrong in giving children a schooling that is based on the foundations of religion......after all, it was through religion that children were educated in the dim dark past.....ok, it was only the children of the rich who were taught back then.
It is only brainwashing when all other aspects of life are air brushed out in favour of religious fervour.
Children are exposed to many other more malign influences in their lives, they need to have some sort of moral compass instilled into them so that they can make the best choices.

I was brought up in a family that had both Catholic and Methodist influences.
I went to mass with my mother on a Sunday morning, and Methodist Sunday school in the afternoon....no wonder I have confused ideas about religion....that aside, it gave me a strong ethical background. It gave me a conscience.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2013, 13:13   #65
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
religion gave me a strong ethical background. It gave me a conscience.
Not to mention growing up in Lancashire in the late forties and in the fifties ...
Old 19-12-2013, 13:19   #66
Beacon of light

Yes, I guess that had something to do with it too.
Restless likes this.
Old 19-12-2013, 17:13   #67
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
You just had to bring this up didn't you ... next thing you know, it will be the subject of another third-rate novel by Dan Brown ... followed by the inevitable fourth-rate movie starring Tom Hanks
Whenever I see kestrel has been on the site I just wonder what crap he'll have posted, he never disappoints
Old 21-12-2013, 20:57   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post
The trouble , BG , is that they are not preaching the good book but their own opinions .

I could take a Bible and use it to justify almost anything simply by taking things out of context .

The Bible says : " There is no God . "

People may not believe that , but it's in the Bible .
The remark is indeed taken out of context. The full verse reads, "The fool has said in his heart, 'There is no God'." Psalm 14 verse 1.

Last edited by Judith Addison; 21-12-2013 at 20:58. Reason: Source not quoted
Judith Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2013, 00:32   #69
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judith Addison View Post
"The fool has said in his heart, 'There is no God'." Psalm 14 verse 1.
But what does it mean? It's obviously metaphor ... I don't say things in my heart ... I use it for pumping blood. One can understand this in many ways. And what is a "fool"? A stupid person ... or an intelligent person who assesses evidence and comes to the wrong conclustion. Seems like (or "as if") understanding the Bible is a monumental challenge ... and until one understands it personally, not with the "help" of a licensed intermediary, it doesn't seem possible to assess it's "goodness".
Less likes this.
Old 22-12-2013, 09:10   #70
Beacon of light

Understanding the bible is a monumental challenge.
Of that, there is no doubt.
All language is subjective(though Eric you may not agree with that)......what makes it subjective is our own experiences of life and experiences of how language is used.
Also the fact that this book has been translated from the original language many times must cloud the issues.
In the original transcripts of the bible there may have been words which had no real translatable equivalent, so the translator may have put in a word that he thought roughly matched the meaning inferred.
So it goes.
The Bible may be an interesting book to read(?) but the text cannot be taken literally because of what I have mentioned before.
A recent bible basher on here was adept at quoting stuff from the bible. He told us that he lived his life according to the bible....he doesn't. He lives his life according to his understanding, his experience of what he thinks this book means. There is a subtle difference
Old 22-12-2013, 12:10   #71
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
A recent bible basher on here was adept at quoting stuff from the bible....
And since he's not been seen of late, one can only assume he's taken heed of the most oft inferred quotation from the denizens of AW ...... "Go forth & multiply!" Or in laymans terms "4'koff!" Only assuming mind.

Last edited by DaveinGermany; 22-12-2013 at 12:14.
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2013, 13:38   #72
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

is Christianity a force for good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
And since he's not been seen of late, one can only assume he's taken heed of the most oft inferred quotation from the denizens of AW ...... "Go forth & multiply!" Or in laymans terms "4'koff!" Only assuming mind.

You never know, he may just make a comeback over Christmas and give us his version of the Nativity?
PTL!
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2013, 14:44   #73
God Member

Quote:
Understanding the bible is a monumental challenge.
Of that, there is no doubt.
And understanding language is even more of a challenge ... even more so, because folks don't give it much thought. They take it for granted. Most believe that we have ideas, which we put into words. But, if you think about it, this can't be.
Old 22-12-2013, 15:19   #74
Beacon of light

yes, we do put ideas into words....but whether the person who is listening to those words hears the message that is being conveyed is another matter......and it is precisely because words are subjective. We know what we mean, but what the hearer/reader makes of our words could be something entirely different.Another reason is that words morph from their dictionary meaning...and the thread posted by MargaretR recently shows this(was it about envy?)
Old 22-12-2013, 15:44   #75
God Member

I have no religion but admire bhuddist principles as a way of life. Bhuddist practice isn't practical in western society, although some people succeed with it.

I attended a methodist sunday school so I am familiar with bible 'stories'.

I am also interested in ancient history, and can see that the bible stories many claim to be myths can in fact be identified as historical facts, presented in a 'storytale' way for them to be better understood by the uneducated masses.

Last edited by MargaretR; 22-12-2013 at 15:46.
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..