Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Is Christianity a force for good?
yes 6 40.00%
no 9 60.00%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree83Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2014, 18:27   #121
Senior Member+

Re: is Christianity a force for good?

I fear this story might be a bit too adult for the forum. If so report and ask for this to thread to be moved to 18+

In response to irresponsibly lightly joking about hallucinogenic substances and driving. I will tell you a story from my youth.

The few things I recall from my second(and last) mushroom experience was that I attempted to eat my tea at my parents house whilst all kinds of family madness was going on. My dad was drunk and in a bad mood (I think) and I was laughing at him, trying to hold it in then all of a sudden I felt as though I was in a black and white movie and that my food was the only thing in colour. It was a Sunday, mum had made Sunday roast and all the trimmings. My food kept moving and doing strange things. I mostly had my eyes closed as I ate it. Strange that when I closed my eyes I could still see things, though static and chaotic. I remember(later on in the night) my friends face moving from where I last saw it, to 5 or six different places. It then started filling up my vision, lots of his faces. My heart was pounding as I forced my eyes wide open where my brain started to take new images again.

Afterwards I left for a friends house. Outside my friends were all experiencing one thing or another. One felt his feet wasn't working and that he was floating, one wondered who had turned out the lights(it was night time) and so on. The woman across the road come out of her house and she was a rather large woman. She had her dressing gown on and practically nothing else. She Flashed herself(this actually happened) and beams of multicoloured light fired out from her private parts and with the force like a gust of wind it propelled me into my friends house whilst I was screaming something incomprehensible.

It Took a friend who refused to take them and who was watching us most the night to get my mind away from what had happened. His words and his funny cigarettes helped. I found myself in a house down the street where the woman's daughter lived. I had no recollection how I had got there and I had a newspaper on my lap, turned to the horoscopes page. It was very late or very early, I don't remember. I had drank quite a few cans of k1664(my fave beer back in my late teens) and had come down off the mushrooms there I think. I looked at the page and this is no joke. My horoscopes said "you will be tripping the light fantastic this weekend"

Bits of other things I can remember from peoples experiences
"bathroom wallpaper followed me downstairs"
"mum caught me in front of the TV and asked what I doing, I told her 'watching TV'"(it was turned off)
one came back one day all his body red, he had been "fighting with nettles"
one guy having a really bad time drank 2 cartons of orange juice(heard that vitamin C helped stop the effects) and go so desperate

and so on

So this story being told.

I have never learned to drive. I have never trusted myself enough SOBER to try it, and I have liked my drink too much for best part of ten years to want to learn. But from my own personal experience from taking mushrooms, you would have to be extremely stupid to want to drive you car whilst under the influence.
Old 10-01-2014, 18:43   #122
Senior Member+

Edit: The guy got so desperate he started to actually eat the carton of orange juice. Still think it was safe to drive?
Old 25-01-2014, 16:08   #123
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
You are entitled to your beliefs....but you are not entitled to disrespect and sneer at those people who have beliefs that differ from yours.
The whole legal system is faith based. There would be no education if it had not been for monks, who taught latin to the children of rich men...then it was the London Guilds which educated children......and the education of children went on from there.

Not all muslims believe that they have to perform acts of terror.....only those who have been radicalised.....and radicalisation occurs by men who pervert the religion they profess to love...so this isn't the doing of religion per se it is the doing of man in the name of religion...man is using religion as a scapegoat for his own agenda - which usually involves obtaining power or money or both.

I can live along side those who have a faith...I can live alongside those who don't have a faith. I respect both for their choices. It isn't hard.
What about the Catholic nuns who abused girls and women in their care in the name of god and jesus?

Nuns 'abused hundreds of children' - News - The Independent

And priests who molested boys and so on. I don't respect an organisation that does that to people.

PS Education from monks at a price...
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2014, 18:27   #124
Beacon of light

The same applies to the nuns as was posted about muslims - it is the fault of the nuns(not all nuns acted in this way)...not the fault of the religion. The religion does not tell them to do this...they chose to do it in the name of religion.
It is not the fault of the organisation but of some people in the organisation. Perverts abound in all walks of life. If the opportunity is there for someone to abuse their power, then there will be some who will take that opportunity....because they believe they will not be found out, or that the children will not be believed.
I stand by my original post.
Less and Boeing Guy like this.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 25-01-2014 at 18:30.
Margaret Pilkington is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 12:19   #125
Senior Member+

Quote:
The same applies to the nuns as was posted about muslims - it is the fault of the nuns(not all nuns acted in this way)...not the fault of the religion. The religion does not tell them to do this...they chose to do it in the name of religion.
It is not the fault of the organisation but of some people in the organisation. Perverts abound in all walks of life. If the opportunity is there for someone to abuse their power, then there will be some who will take that opportunity....because they believe they will not be found out, or that the children will not be believed.
I stand by my original post.
There was more on the TV news and newsnight last night about how the UN have accused the Catholic Church of not doing enough to deal with paedo priests.

UN accuses Vatican of adopting policies that allowed priests to rape children - Telegraph
Accyexplorer likes this.
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 12:39   #126
Beacon of light

Do I really need to repeat what I have said in previous posts?

It isn't the fault of the religion per se.
It is the fault of the weak men who do these acts thinking they will be safe because of their position...and the covering up of such crimes is in the same category.
No-one is saying that these things did not happen...or that they were acceptable...but there were many nuns and priests who did not abuse children...who did good work in their communities.
There are bad people in all walks of life. People who will follow their own agenda regardless of what is right...there are those who will not speak out against this because they fear for the reputation of the Catholic church - or the catholic religion.

As I said in the post of mine you have quoted. It is NOT the fault of the organisation, but the fault of some people in the organisation.
Now what part of that do you not understand?
Boeing Guy likes this.
Old 06-02-2014, 12:44   #127
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Its hard to tell what yon mon understands, doubt if he knows himself.
Less and Boeing Guy like this.
Old 06-02-2014, 13:21   #128
Beacon of light

Cashy, as you have told me many many times before...you cannot put sense where there is none.
(but I thought nature abhored a vacuum)
Accyexplorer likes this.
Old 06-02-2014, 13:33   #129
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

is Christianity a force for good?

Quote:
(but I thought nature abhored a vacuum)

You need to watch sky at night, and other programs that talk about the Universe, there isn't a vacuum, it seems that where there's the slightest hint of emptiness we get dark matter, something (so far) undetectable, though making up some 75% (I had to use a statistic, this one seems popular).

However with the birdman, we should feel proud, we've discovered that the space between his ears is filled with a substance called, 'doesn't matter'.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 13:56   #130
Beacon of light

I have watched those programs Less.....my daughters little boy is an avid fan of all things to do with the universe. I have to admit that I cannot grasp the concept of black holes.....dark matter....in my head it doesn't compute.
But I do like your assessment of the poster!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..