Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Is Christianity a force for good?
yes 6 40.00%
no 9 60.00%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree83Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-11-2013, 00:50   #1
Senior Member+

is Christianity a force for good?

Having watched the debate results of the vote whether or not Catholicism was a force
For good and it was heavily towards no, and recently having k99 join us. I am wondering. Is Christianity a force for good? Posting a poll and hope thee votes honestly.
Old 16-11-2013, 01:16   #2
God Member

Re: is Christianity a force for good?

no religeon is a force for good they are all a force for control

well except jedi'ism thats a force for light entertainment with really cool flashy sticks

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2013, 06:59   #3
Beacon of light

You can be a Christian and have Christian values without being aligned to any church or faith.
I have stated my views in others posts, it is something that is the business of the individual, and for me, is not for lengthy discussion on the forum, so apologies Rob, I haven't voted.

And for those out there who wish to make assumptions about my motives, or for that matter my spirituality, I would say to you 'cart on, I will neither confirm nor deny your assumptions'.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2013, 07:05   #4

Faith is the illogical belief in the occurrence of the improbable. (Mencken)
Balbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2013, 08:43   #5
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balbus View Post
Okay, that's Menckens view, but as he's not he's part of the forum he don't get no vote.

Rob, the question isn't encompassing enough & the options are to narrow. Obviously you posed it to late at night & no doubt after a few.
Old 16-11-2013, 09:02   #6
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
no religeon is a force for good they are all a force for control

well except jedi'ism thats a force for light entertainment with really cool flashy sticks
There will be a lot of aid going out to those poor people in the wake of Hurricane Haiyan organised by religious organisations of all persuasion.
The victims will also be seeking succour and comfort from their god whosoever he may be in their darkest hours.
I guess even a jedi light sabre will help until the power is restored too Mr A
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2013, 09:33   #7
JCB

I am unable to do the poll because I believe that Christianity has been , is and will be a force for both good and bad .
Less, jaysay and egg&chips like this.
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2013, 10:04   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post
I am unable to do the poll because I believe that Christianity has been , is and will be a force for both good and bad .
Spot on JCB. Religions often start with the best of intentions, but like all things run by mankind, religions create power and power corrupts...
egg&chips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2013, 10:08   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balbus View Post

sounds more liek a reading from the book of spock

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2013, 10:41   #10
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Okay, that's Menckens view, but as he's not he's part of the forum he don't get no vote.

Rob, the question isn't encompassing enough & the options are to narrow. Obviously you posed it to late at night & no doubt after a few.
True about late and after a few. But after the poll is over I'll be interested in the results compared to that video I mentioned
Old 16-11-2013, 10:42   #11
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post
I should've added the option for both
Old 16-11-2013, 10:55   #12
Senior Member+

interesting results for catholic church

Margaret. Wasn't after lengthy debate. Just results of the poll
Old 16-11-2013, 11:26   #13
JCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post

interesting results for catholic church

Margaret. Wasn't after lengthy debate. Just results of the poll
I watched the full debate a good while ago .

Good points were made by both sides .

As for the results of the polling after the debate , well they were pretty meaningless and told us very little .

A similar debate in another place and at another time could have come up with quite different results . It just depends who are in the audience .

A poll of a relatively small number of people is not proof as to whether something is a force for good or for bad .

I prefer to look at the people I meet in my every day living , seeing what motivates them and how they cope with the good and bad in life . That tells me more than any debate among a select few individuals who I do not know personally .
Restless likes this.
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2013, 12:40   #14
Resting in Peace

Christianity is what each individual makes of it, I was brought up RC, but it doesn't mean I take everything I was force fed at school seriously, like birth control, can't say I take kindly to a guy, sat in finery in the Vatican, making rules on this when he doesn't play the game
Old 16-11-2013, 13:25   #15
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

is Christianity a force for good?

I cannot understand why a self proclaimed Atheist would start this thread, never mind have a poll about it.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..