Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2007, 17:56   #16
Resting in Peace

Re: is it a boy or a girl...? should we find out ?

I would personally have liked to have known (not particularly with the first) but like Panther not available, however, I have often wondered if you were pregnant and already had, say 4 girls, and turned out your 5th would be yet another girl, would you not feel a little disappointed during your pregnancy and would it affect your mood ?

Also, hear tales of certain 'groups' that desire a boy and a girl would not be welcome and abortion follows... sure you understand what I am saying, but
do you think this is true ??
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-05-2007, 19:10   #17
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Also, hear tales of certain 'groups' that desire a boy and a girl would not be welcome and abortion follows... sure you understand what I am saying, but
do you think this is true ??

It is true of some cultures in some countries but is less of an issue in the UK. As unsavoury as it is, in countries such as China where they have the 1 child rule this practise is said to be more common. Infanticide is also an option over there and many baby girls are killed in more rural areas. Premature babies are often left to die over there because if a family can only have 1 child they need a child who will grow up strong and be able to support their parents in later years. Healthy boys are more preferable to girls as manual labour/farming/fishing are the mainstays of life for the poorer families. Richer families who can pay to have more than 1 child can often afford to educate little girls to degree level thus ensuring a good income. Unfortunately the poor way outnumber the rich. Chinese orphanages often have far more abandoned baby girls than boys in them. It is the way of the country and the culture and although distasteful to western people we must consider that it is hardly an ideal situation for people in poverty who have to do these things in order to survive.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 19:18   #18
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by lettie View Post
. Premature babies are often left to die over there
my child was premature!!
you would think in this day and age all that would have faded out by now, i think its just sad!!
Old 02-05-2007, 19:22   #19
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther View Post
my child was premature!!
you would think in this day and age all that would have faded out by now, i think its just sad!!
I know, it's very sad. The reason is that extremely prem babies cannot be guaranteed to develop without significant health problems which may stop them from getting work as adults. It is not that the technology is lacking but the way of the country. They are allowed another child if the first child dies.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 19:22   #20
God Member

I didn't find out with my first, my other half wanted to know so I had it written and sealed in an envelope (they wont do that for you now), meanwhile I convinced him to wait, we had a girl and the sonographer was right, my second pregnancy we both wanted to know and was told it was a boy, we still didn't buy blue I didn't believe them though we did decorate his room, anyway he was a boy and even though we knew he was a boy the birth was still nice because we were meeting him for the first time. Its very much a personal choice though GG, good luck.

Good luck to Pipinfort as well.
Old 02-05-2007, 19:42   #21
Passed away 25-11-09

I had my children before the days of ultrasound scans so there was no way you could know but I wish there had been. I would have loved to know in advance. Both my daughters knew what theirs were, before birth, but I think it's up to the individual. Some want to know and some don't.
Old 02-05-2007, 19:44   #22
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lettie View Post
I know, it's very sad. The reason is that extremely prem babies cannot be guaranteed to develop without significant health problems which may stop them from getting work as adults. It is not that the technology is lacking but the way of the country. They are allowed another child if the first child dies.
Im a prem baby & i think im ok lol
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 20:13   #23
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by accymel View Post
Im a prem baby & i think im ok lol
I was also a prem baby..born 3 months premature ...and I only lived as I was born in an army hospital which had more modern equipment at the time...my heart stopped 4 times and I was christened in my incubator as the chances of me living were pretty slim...I was a little miracle baby at the time as the chances of living after being born that early back in the early 70's were quite slim..so my doc told...
glasgow guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 20:22   #24
Full Member+

Saints and Sinners Bingo Champion!
Bezerk Champion!

Like westender I had mine before the days of ultrasound, would like to have known with 2nd child but not sure if I would with the first.
MITZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 22:55   #25
Resident Waffler

I didn't want to know with either of mine - preferred the surprise, although I was fairly sure myself that both were girls, and I was right.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 14:07   #26
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

my daughter was prem and shes now taller than all the rest of the girls in her class, explain that one
Old 20-05-2007, 07:48   #27
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipinfort View Post
my missus is due next sunday with baby number 2, we have found out the sex both times, this time we have have 4 scans in total( one 3d) and it was confirmed each time so i think it is a definate...... well i`ll tell you next weekend hopefully
........Ruby Isabella arrived thursday 17th at 13.06 after a 2hr 10 min labour!!! weighing in at mighty 9lbs and 8oz!!!! mother and baby fine. now the fun begins 3 women in one house!
pipinfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2007, 09:04   #28
mez
God Member

CONGRATULATIONS PIPINFORT & FAMILY AAAAAW A BEAUTIFUL DAUGHTER .HOPE ALL ARE DOING OK

think this would be better in a thread of its own .........
Old 20-05-2007, 10:12   #29
God Member

Congratulations to both of you.
Old 20-05-2007, 12:55   #30
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipinfort View Post
........Ruby Isabella arrived thursday 17th at 13.06 after a 2hr 10 min labour!!! weighing in at mighty 9lbs and 8oz!!!! mother and baby fine. now the fun begins 3 women in one house!
nice one pipinfort!!, your wife must be relieved to get the baby out, she must have been hugh!!
i know how she felt my kid was 9lb 10!!! and my what a fat lump!!!
CONGRATULATIONS!!

« Holes! | walks »

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..