Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2007, 21:54   #1
Senior Member+

Smile is it a boy or a girl...? should we find out ?

we are going for our 20 week scan next week and we have both decided to find out what sex the baby is - providing its not being shy on the day of course...and I know some folk may say that the scans sometimes are not always correct which is fair enough - but is finding out what sex the baby is before its born taking away the excitement from the big day ?
I personally dont think it is taking anything away from the big day at all for when he/she enters the world as I see it as putting a person to the name !- that and the fact little peanut is finally here !
whats your thoughts on this..should we?...shouldnt we ? - would you given the choice ?
glasgow guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 01-05-2007, 21:55   #2
God Member

Re: is it a boy or a girl...? should we find out ?

i found out when i was pregnant with Reece, only because i was nosey and wanted to know what colour to buy things
Old 01-05-2007, 21:58   #3
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashytart View Post
i found out when i was pregnant with Reece, only because i was nosey and wanted to know what colour to buy things
well there is that reason as well...nothing like being prepared I say !
glasgow guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 21:59   #4
God Member

thats why i found out, but sometimes you cant find out it may have its legs crossed
Old 01-05-2007, 21:59   #5

no no
you cant beat not noing
Old 01-05-2007, 22:34   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

thats entirely up too you 2 glasgowguy, personally dont see any problem with it,but know people that do.
Old 02-05-2007, 01:08   #7
Yank in King Art's Court!

I take it this is your first? First congrats on already being a 20 week old father! We chose not to know for our first. Actually, never had an ultrasound so I guess that help us not knowing!

For our second, Joshua, there were thought to be complications so they had an ultrasound done. We were told that they were 95% sure he was a girl. So, prior to heading to the hospital, we asked Annie if she wanted to have Allison with one L or two.

I was pleasantly shocked when he came out all boy . When I got home I said, "Annie, guess who's here?" She reply is it Allison? I said nope, it's Joshua. She started crying saying "I don't want Joshua, I want Allison."

Sometimes not knowing can be an asset!

Brian

LancYorkYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 08:30   #8
God Member

LOL! Don't take it as gospel either Glasgow Guy, my little Kayleigh had to be be quickly re-named Thomas when he arrived
Old 02-05-2007, 08:57   #9
God Member

I found it was better knowing. Before deciding on a name we could at least refer to my daughter as her, rather than it.
Old 02-05-2007, 09:10   #10
I am Banned

With my 1st i liked the mystery & tbh i wasn't sure throughout the pregnancy so it was lemons & whites, when just born awaiting the nurse to say congrats it a boy or its a girl, had 2 names sorted felt more traditional.

With subsequent babies better to find out for a host of good reasons as finances might be tighter, room etc. With my subsequent i had a very strong feeling what sex of baby i was having so when came for the scan i had a little wager with the scanner, they only then could confirm it cos i was right hehehehehe & the little ****** swore at me on the scan Peter Kay style lol.
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 10:48   #11
Junior Member+

When i was pregnant and went for my scan i had all the in tentions of finding out wether it was a boy or a girl, but when it came to it they couldnt tell either way! Im so glad that they couldnt because it was all the more exciting, especially when she finally arrived and the midwife said 'its a girl!'
addy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 12:02   #12
God Member

I didnt want to know so I could enjoy it more. The not knowing made the whole thing more exciting. Some do want to know some dont its down to personal choice unless you are hoping to reserve a place in a same sex private school.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 15:52   #13
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

It's a very personal choice Glasgow Guy. From a midwife's point of view, the couples who don't know tend to be more excited on the big day. I have known several scans to be wrong, bearing in mind that 5% will be wrong. For a unit with 4,000 deliveries a year about 200 of those scans will be wrong for the gender of the baby (what is being scanned here is very small).

Many people choose names for both sexes just in case but will change the name a few days after the birth because they feel that the baby doesn't suit the name.

Whatever you decide to do, make sure that it is what you both want. One person knowing and the other not knowing causes problems and arguments. If your other half wants to know but you don't, then I would strongly advise that you don't find out. Remember that your scan is for diagnostic purposes only. The Sonographer will be looking for obvious abnormalities in the baby and placenta, looking at the gender of the baby is merely a courtesy and is not documented in the records, therefore there is no legal comeback if you go out and spend a fortune on baby stuff aimed at one sex.

Whatever you decide, make sure that you have a few quid with you for photos. I think they are currently about £4. People think this is expensive but it is a fraction of the cost of the photo and without that payment the NHS couldn't afford to do them. If you get a photo, store it in a brown envelope and don't expose it to light, it will last longer this way as they fade over time. Photocopy the picture before storage and show people the copy. Most of all, enjoy your scan and be prepared for baby jigging around like a loony during it......... they don't like it you see.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 16:54   #14
God Member

my missus is due next sunday with baby number 2, we have found out the sex both times, this time we have have 4 scans in total( one 3d) and it was confirmed each time so i think it is a definate...... well i`ll tell you next weekend hopefully
pipinfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 17:18   #15
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

i didnt know with my first, because they didnt used to tell you years ago
but my second, i wanted to know, and found out i was having a boy!!

i still bought clothes etc that would suit a boy or girl, just in case it was the other, in case it was his cord hanging , but it was a boy, and by eck, hes a right lad!!

so yeh i wanted to know, its handy if you want to buy clothes etc, but like i did just buy a few yellow or green colours, just in case

congratulations by the way.....

you too pipinfort...... .....

« Holes! | walks »

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..