Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-10-2012, 15:44   #31

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!
Re: Is it just me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris SUI JURIS View Post
SHOULD OF called this the gramer/pronunsiation/dislexea thread
See I'm fine with every single word in that sentence except the second one

Ripped the following from an online dictionary

of -
auxiliary verb Pronunciation Spelling .
have: He should of asked me first.

Pronunciation note
Because the preposition of, when unstressed ( a piece of cake ), and the unstressed or contracted auxiliary verb have ( could have gone, could've gone ) are both pronounced [uhv] or [uh] in connected speech, inexperienced writers commonly confuse the two words, spelling have as of ( I would of handed in my book report, but the dog ate it ). Professional writers have been able to exploit this spelling deliberately, especially in fiction, to help represent the speech of the uneducated: If he could of went home, he would of.

Sheesh! I really am a sad old pedant... I'm trolling through a dictionary on a Saturday afternoon??
Old 20-10-2012, 15:52   #32
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post
See I'm fine with every single word in that sentence except the second one

Ripped the following from an online dictionary

of -
auxiliary verb Pronunciation Spelling .
have: He should of asked me first.

Pronunciation note
Because the preposition of, when unstressed ( a piece of cake ), and the unstressed or contracted auxiliary verb have ( could have gone, could've gone ) are both pronounced [uhv] or [uh] in connected speech, inexperienced writers commonly confuse the two words, spelling have as of ( I would of handed in my book report, but the dog ate it ). Professional writers have been able to exploit this spelling deliberately, especially in fiction, to help represent the speech of the uneducated: If he could of went home, he would of.

Sheesh! I really am a sad old pedant... I'm trolling through a dictionary on a Saturday afternoon??
lol get yourself down the local and have a pint,the dictionary can wait
Chris SUI JURIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2012, 16:56   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
It would be a change from the back biting which goes on on here.

I'll remember to wear boots if I change my mind!
A tad harsh Gordon! I'm shocked that anyone could view the forums as anything but a utopian discourse medium filled with mutually respecting soul siblings
egg&chips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2012, 17:15   #34

Quote:
I'm fine with spelling errors, people not using capitals for proper nouns, grammatical screw ups, slang, local idioms etc.. but what really winds me up is the use of the word OF instead of the word HAVE

There's a thread in general at the moment...

Should OF gone to Specsavers....*mutters profanity under his breath*

I can readily accept 'hav', 'av', or 'ave'....but not 'OF'!! *more profanity*

Is it just me? Am I finally joining the 'grumpy old pedant' brigade?
Nope, it irritates me too, nothing to do with age-I've been a pedant since I was in my teens!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Have you been talking to Susie? This is her main bug ... Maybe you are just filling in for her while she is taking a vacation

A lot of this kind of stuff happens when you have a Latin style grammar imposed on a Germanic language ... I could go on for hours about the moribund subjunctive ... but I'll spare youse guys the agony But I agree; "shoulda went to Specsavers" would of been better.
If it was typed like that, it wouldn't bother me as it would look to clearly be intentional word play rather than ignorance causing misuse of words!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
Spelling , bad punctuation, basically all bad grammar gets my goat, but we may as well get used to it as teachers only need to get the meaning of what is being conveyed these days. Apparently bad spelling and grammar are not deemed to be important anymore
It's true!In fact, I have even found myself having to think about correct use of words despite my pedantry, because they're written incorrectly SO often!From internet forums and discussions boards, websites, supermarkets, to official documents, letters and formal texts!It' saddens me and really winds me up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
Should've - is the correct way to spell 'should of'

Should've | Easy to understand definition of should've by Your Dictionary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael1954 View Post
Should have not should of!
Yes should have, 'Should've' been its abbreviation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael1954 View Post
I work in Manchester and a few of my Mancunian colleagues always pronounce have as of.
Pronunciation is different I think. Not everybody pronounces words as they're written-some words are correctly pronounced nothing like they are written.

I use the word 'Mote' quite often. It's got a few different applied meanings.

I like words. Probably why I get irritated at their mistreatment.

Dyslexia is obviously a cause, however I know many people who use it as an excuse. Not saying anybody on here is in that bracket.
My friend is dyslexic and his written words are impeccable-because he has deemed it as important to take time to learn to overcome the problem, and he checks if he isn't sure. Another method of learning.

I am rubbish at mathematics-but I double check if I'm doing something mathematical, do not assume I am correct.
Old 20-10-2012, 18:41   #35
Senior Member+

Quote:
I'm fine with spelling errors, people not using capitals for proper nouns, grammatical screw ups, slang, local idioms etc.. but what really winds me up is the use of the word OF instead of the word HAVE

There's a thread in general at the moment...

Should OF gone to Specsavers....*mutters profanity under his breath*

I can readily accept 'hav', 'av', or 'ave'....but not 'OF'!! *more profanity*

Is it just me? Am I finally joining the 'grumpy old pedant' brigade?
at school we had teachers that ran out crying. Stand-in teachers that told us to "copy from page..." I had to struggle along learning English myself.
Old 20-10-2012, 18:56   #36
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
at school we had teachers that ran out crying. Stand-in teachers that told us to "copy from page..." I had to struggle along learning English myself.
Never had to struggle to learn English ... I was born and raised in England. But I did have to re-learn a few words and terms when I landed in Canada ... pronunciation was different too: Canadians pronounce "Ottawa" without pronouncing a single "t" ... "Oddawa" ... Have to be careful sometimes too ... if you ask someone for a "rubber" instead of an "eraser", you might be handed a condom. And, to keep on topic, "of" instead of "have" is quite common here.

Oh, and Sugarmouse, it is "If it were typed like that" ... Ah, the subjunctive

Last edited by Eric; 20-10-2012 at 19:05.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2012, 18:56   #37
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by egg&chips View Post
A tad harsh Gordon! I'm shocked that anyone could view the forums as anything but a utopian discourse medium filled with mutually respecting soul siblings
A tad harsh?
I promise not to kick you and you threaten to bite my ankle?
A disgrace to your profession!
What's spiritualism and souls got to do with this thread anyway?

Last edited by Gordon Booth; 20-10-2012 at 18:59.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2012, 19:02   #38
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
'Mote.' Now you see, that is a word I had never heard of before ... so guess we can teach others something new about the English language ...
"The Mote in God's Eye", Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle is a fun read ... Oh, and maybe you should of spent more time on Bible study
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2012, 10:22   #39
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarmouse0707 View Post

Yes should have, 'Should've' been its abbreviation.

I'll see your pedantry and raise it to being rather than been?

Last edited by Less; 21-10-2012 at 10:25.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2012, 14:58   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
I'll see your pedantry and raise it to being rather than been?

Haha true.

I was just er, exemplifying the fact that I see so many mistakes , I pick them up

I'll bet, if you were bored enough to watch my posts of a weekend, the sense they make is questionable compared to during the week. Nocturnal living does something to my cognition!
Old 21-10-2012, 15:16   #41
Senior Member+

The problem I have is that I type as I would talk and for the ones that have met me sometimes that is difficult!

I have been told off at work for it!
I never think about the last.
heth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2012, 15:20   #42
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by heth View Post
The problem I have is that I type as I would talk and for the ones that have met me sometimes that is difficult!
I always have typed as i talk.
Old 21-10-2012, 15:23   #43

My bug bear is when people say baf instead of bath and fousand instead of thousand...Even Mark the schoolteacher on the chase says fousand instead of thousand and it irritates the hell out of me especially when he is supposed to be so intelligent!!!!!!.
Marl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2012, 15:29   #44
God Member

I cringe when I hear 'drawring' and 'nothink'
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2012, 15:32   #45

Don't think I've heard the former but hearing folk put a 'K' on the end of nothing/something/everything riles me as well-I usually cannot help but say something(k).

Also people who do that, often say 'Noffink'-not even 'Nothink'......

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..