Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-04-2004, 00:26   #1

Wink Is there anybody out there?

Just a couple of Questions, Why did the Holy Family change to Mt Carmel & looking for an old girlfriend, June Meredew, lived in Whalley rd, across from Clock garage in 1960s, like to hear from her. Surley not all the people I knew are not dead or moved away.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-04-2004, 21:13   #2
Accrington Web Mascot

Re: Is there anybody out there?

Well not too sure about the name change - but wouldn't it be something to do with it not being run by nuns now?
ShortStuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 18:22   #3
God Member

Gilmartin? That name sounds familiar..did you by any chance attend Holy Family??

As to the name change; I am under the impression that it came about as a result of the closure of Paddock House and the change from secondary to sixth form college, though I could of course be wrong.
Acrylic-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 11:35   #4
Jo

The reason Holy Family changed names is because it merged with Paddock House, so they had to decide on a new neutral name for the school. a comprehensive secondary school was formed in place of the former grammar and secondary modern schools, the sixth form was kept on.

Paddock House site wasn't closed immediately after the merge, the first and second year were there, together with the sixth form until some point in the 1990s, and then they closed it and I believed have demolished the site, or are about to.

They went for the name Mount Carmel, after Our Lady of Mount Carmel, but funnily the nuns from Paddock house are not Carmelite nuns, but some other order, so I'm not sure why the name Mount Carmel was chosen.
Kades likes this.
Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 11:56   #5
God Member

Could it be that the school is on top of a hill, i.e. Mount?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 12:03   #6
God Member

When I was At Holy Family 1968-71 we had a nun on loan from Paddock House, Sister Mary Catherine, What a cow! I had, until then, always been brought up to respect nuns as special people who had devoted their lives to god. She changed my mind good and proper. Miss Hitler in a Habit!
Old 03-05-2004, 12:22   #7
Jo

Sister Mary Catherine was, I believe, one of the nicer nuns from Paddock House. those that followed her were fare worse: I knew Sister Margaret Mary, for example, and she was very hard on us.
You might have been in my dad's year at school, I think he left Holy Family in 1971.
Old 03-05-2004, 12:27   #8
God Member

You should be careful of what you're writing here...some of these old dears could still be around...in fact, they could be members of the Accy Web....you never know for sure, do you?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 12:28   #9
Jo

I never say anything I wouldn't say to someone's face!

....you did mean the nuns didn't you, or were you referring to my dad???
Old 03-05-2004, 12:49   #10
God Member

Gawd, I hope you didn't mean the nuns, Tealeaf. What a truly horrifying thought.
Old 03-05-2004, 12:51   #11
God Member

Hi jo, it's kinda hard to tell without a surname. You could try asking him if the name Woodhead means anything.
Old 03-05-2004, 12:52   #12
Jo

For your sake, Bob, I hope he DID mean the nuns, 'cos if he was referring to my dad as an "old dear", and you were in the same year as him, then I'd take it quite badly if I were you!!
Old 03-05-2004, 12:53   #13
Jo

I'll send you a Private Message, Woodhead!
Old 03-05-2004, 12:55   #14
God Member

Duh! new to this, how does it, sort of, work???
Old 03-05-2004, 12:57   #15
Jo

In the top right-hand corner where it says "Good afternoon Acrylic-bob", underneath you'll find "Private messages" underlined. Click on this link and you should get into your messages. I already sent it, so it should be there. You can use private messages if you want to say something to someone without telling the whole forum.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..