Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Eric

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-11-2013, 14:59   #1
God Member

Is there such a thing ...

as too much change? I have recently come across the term, "Technological singularity." And, no, I don't think this belongs in the "Tech" section, because it's not really about technology; it's about the effective of technological change on humanity.

The way I understand it is: Sometime soon ... about 2040 I believe ... we will reach a technological singularity. This seems to be the point at which technological change occurs almost instantly, and the point beyond which we cannot predict further change ... maybe some of you rocket scientists can help me out here It reminds me of a Seldon Crisis ... fans of Asimov's "Foundation" trilogy will know what I'm talking about.

Some thinkers are even suggesting a "post-human society". We can't stop technological change ... for one thing, it is driven by greed and curiosity ... two prime movers of humanity (hopefully, sex will be somewhere in the mix).

Cosidering that humans have changed little over the centuries (read "Canterbury Tales" if you disagree) and cannot evolve overnite, or, even over centuries, what dangers and/or benefits can you see from the development of a technology that can accurately position an atom
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-11-2013, 15:23   #2
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Is there such a thing ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
what dangers and/or benefits can you see from the development of a technology that can accurately position an atom
I'm afraid my crystal balls have ruptured and I can no longer foretell what good or bad may lie in the future.
Will they be able to position an atom?
I seem to remember that Quantum Physics has to be involved and that as soon as you know where it is not only does it move instantly but it can also exist in two places at once.
Confused? I know I am, I really shouldn't try to remember what I didn't really understand whilst I was a student.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2013, 15:40   #3
God Member

Re: Is there such a thing ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
I'm afraid my crystal balls have ruptured and I can no longer foretell what good or bad may lie in the future.
Will they be able to position an atom?
I seem to remember that Quantum Physics has to be involved and that as soon as you know where it is not only does it move instantly but it can also exist in two places at once.
Confused? I know I am, I really shouldn't try to remember what I didn't really understand whilst I was a student.
I once dated a woman who had a cat named "Schrodinger" ... a brilliant mind (altho' I was more interested in her great legs and ass ... I was younger then) ... I shall have to get out my copy of Asimov's "Atom: Journey Across the Sub-Atomic Cosmos" ... I realize it's old ... but so am I
Less likes this.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..