Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: is this a step too far ?
yes 9 90.00%
a big no 1 10.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-05-2013, 15:21   #1
God Member

is this a step too far ?

private firms have won the right to access your private records in the nhs is this a step too far? £140 buys private firms data on NHS patients
Old 18-05-2013, 15:25   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: is this a step too far ?

As far as i'm concerned this is way too far, not a step. No rights at all should be given to any firm to access private medical records,
Old 18-05-2013, 15:37   #3
God Member

absolutely abhorant which bunch of idiots allowed this

apart from the privacey abuse a prospective employer could penalise you befor even reaidng your C.V just because you had chicken pox when you were a child or something he didnt like the look of.

think of if a woman went for a job and the emplyer was against abortion and saw that she had a termination when younger the employer is more than likely to not even consider employing her

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Last edited by accyman; 18-05-2013 at 15:39.
accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2013, 15:48   #4
Full Member+

Whatever happened to confidentiality? If this is right then it's an absolute scandal. So, your private personal details can be sold to the highest bidder? Hope this applies to politicians too, I bet they have few juicy medical visits they'd like to hide! Foreign objects in dark places and all that.
Old 18-05-2013, 15:49   #5
God Member

was this sneaked in under the table so to speak because im sure objections would have been high if thsi wa spublic knowledge

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2013, 16:05   #6
Senior Member+

A guy at work had a phone call from a claims company about his recent accident. He`d only fell down stairs but went for an x-ray because he was in a fair bit of pain. He didn`t understand how they could have found out he`d had an accident, I guess we now know.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2013, 16:15   #7
God Member

i broke my arm last year and i was astonished i kept getting texts about having an accident. i think its been happening before they changed the law.these are the things they are changing while they are filling our heads about europe and other garbage. im campaigning to get all these laws reversed.plus re-nationalizing the railways.
Old 18-05-2013, 16:29   #8
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Ignore the texts cmon that aint passed on info i think, I been getting fer a few years n i aint had n accident since the 80s. plus the fact ive been retired fer 12 years, i think thats just mobile numbers being sold on.
Old 18-05-2013, 16:32   #9
Senior Member+

Just coincidence then that this phone call came just a couple of days after his x-ray?
Old 18-05-2013, 16:33   #10
JCB

This is a piece from a BBC News website about the Hippocratic Oath :--

" Confidentiality
The penultimate section deals with confidentiality and reads: "And about whatever I may see or hear in treatment, or even without treatment, in the life of human beings, I will remain silent, holding such things to be unutterable."
As today, patients in ancient times shared deeply personal information with doctors on the assumption that their details would not be revealed to others."

I think it says it all .
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2013, 16:42   #11
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpick24 View Post
Just coincidence then that this phone call came just a couple of days after his x-ray?
reckon so i have em pretty frequently,as well as texts. though in fairness its hard to be 100% as i just refuse to answer any number i aint aware of these days.
Old 18-05-2013, 16:53   #12
Senior Member+

I used to get them a lot also, after someone ran into side of my car, I wasn`t injured but claimed on his insurance for the repair. Got lots of phone calls and texts after that. They even knew my car reg.
Old 18-05-2013, 17:05   #13
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post
This is a piece from a BBC News website about the Hippocratic Oath :--

" Confidentiality
The penultimate section deals with confidentiality and reads: "And about whatever I may see or hear in treatment, or even without treatment, in the life of human beings, I will remain silent, holding such things to be unutterable."
As today, patients in ancient times shared deeply personal information with doctors on the assumption that their details would not be revealed to others."

I think it says it all .
Thats just what passes between doctor & patient, nowt to do with medical records, all the details in your records are available to view from the file clerk, to the top boss, and now they are being computerised, available to any hacker. Records have been found in skips, on discs, and on lost laptops. Lots of opportunities for selfish greedy buggars willing to risk it for a few quid.
maxthecollie likes this.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2013, 17:28   #14
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

This has gone on for years but under the guise of us giving consent.
How many of us have taken out life insurance linked to a mortgage?
We give our medical histories and tick the box to say they can check our records. We look like we are being asked consent but it is coercion. Failure to tick the box means no mortgage.
Insurance companies have been checking our HIV statuses and terminal illness statuses for years and I guarantee you that they do check, as I had some queries raised about an operation I had last year by a travel insurance firm. I wasn't even aware that I had given them permission to delve into my history but there you go.....
Private & public organisations have had access to our data for years, including medical data. They use it to form our national statistics, work out which services are required in which area eg. smoking cessation, increased screening etc.
Personally, I think it stinks
walkinman221 likes this.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2013, 17:55   #15
God Member

A few years ago, when the NHS computer system was being developed, I download a form from the web, filled it in and delivered it to my doc.

It refused my consent for my medical records to be put on that system. I understand that it has been abandoned due to being inoperable.

I wonder whether my doing that has protected me from the intrusions of privacy that are going on.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..