Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2014, 14:55   #16
God Member

Re: It's not a problem or is it?

Just wanted to put a word in for those who according to AccyExplorer 'just work on a till at Asda' - don't know if you've ever tried it but it's not as easy a job as he/she seems to think.Don't get me wrong, of course I'm not comparing it to someone whose work directly affects the health of others but believe me dealing with some members of the public on a daily basis can be quite stressful & would be even worse for both the employee & the customers if anyone tried to do it with a hangover from any substance whether it be alcohol or recreational drugs
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-10-2014, 15:15   #17
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
This is all bs, probably just brought up in order to agitate the fecal matter ... nothing to do with drugs and booze ... come to think of it, if booze isn't a drug, then what is it? Bottom line is that it's about common sense and responsibility. If you are aware that you have to show up for work at eight ack emma on monday, just don't be quaffing the booze, or toking, or snorting, or hitting at three. Nobody gives ... or should give ... a flying you-know-what about what you do on your time off. Just don't show up for work, or drive, or operate chainsaws when you are still trashed. If you do, you have a problem ... probably one you would have had even if you spent a sober, straight weekend. People who do this are ignorant, irresponsible assholes, drunk or sober.

A sense of responsibility, a large dose of common sense, and an IQ large enough to figure out how to pour water out of a boot without having to read the instructions written on the heel is all you need to manage, or to balance your recreational habits with your work.

I'm having a quiet toke right now ... but all I have to do today is housework, and walk the hound. If I go out to the bar later, I will take a cab there and back. I've already taken my window shaker out ... yes, Summer is gone. So, nothing else I have to do today requires sober concentration.

Isn't there is the morale problem though E? I mean, a work place where folk are randomly tested is one that will be short on trust and good feeling won't it?

Mr conspiracy says:-

There's also the problem of, if folk are tested for drugs today, it isn't such a big move to start to check folk for other undesirable activities tomorrow. Why stop at drugs,why not test folk for STD's,tax evasion or marital infidelity? What is so particularly problematic about these 'drugs'?

Obviously, being off your box at work at work is one thing but I believe a employee should be appraised on their performance and companies are businesses not law enforcement agencies. its funny that on the one hand folk don't want a nanny state, but on the other seem perfectly happy to condone nanny capitalism.Companies should not be allowed to deal with employees (private) illegal behaviour unless it's effecting their proformance.

A employer is allowed to sack you for testing positive for a bit of weed yet the US airforce is allowed to give its pilots amphetamine to improve their concentration over long periods.
U.S. Combat Pilots on Speed - ABC News

Gives a whole new meaning to fighting the war on drugs

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb

Last edited by Accyexplorer; 06-10-2014 at 15:22.
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 15:52   #18
Beacon of light

It would not be in the interests of an employer to test for sexually transmitted diseases unless that employer ran a brothel.....which is illegal in this country.

You ask what is problematic about these drugs, but this has been answered in previous posts...even you have put forward very good reasons why being under the influence of drugs or alcohol is unsafe.

You are just trying to fudge the issue.
What happens in America has little relevance to this issue......and tax evasion, marital infidelity....if they meant that you were not doing your job properly then an employer might be concerned.......and any issue that meant you were compromised in your job should and would be brought up at yearly appraisals, along with some actions to remedy any performance deficits.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 15:52   #19
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accyexplorer View Post

Why stop at drugs,why not test folk for STD's,tax evasion or marital infidelity? What is so particularly problematic about these 'drugs'?

Obviously, being off your box at work at work is one thing

the US airforce is allowed to give its pilots amphetamine to improve their concentration over long periods.
U.S. Combat Pilots on Speed - ABC News
Evading tax or having it off with someone else's wife probably won't affect your ability at work(although the second can be tiring).

To quote your attachment 'Their judgement is impaired and they do very bad things. They are among the sickest of all drug addicts'.
We can't have the checkout staff at Asda killing 4 customers and injuring 8 more, can we?
Accyexplorer likes this.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 16:45   #20
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
It would not be in the interests of an employer to test for sexually transmitted diseases unless that employer ran a brothel.....which is illegal in this country.

You ask what is problematic about these drugs, but this has been answered in previous posts...even you have put forward very good reasons why being under the influence of drugs or alcohol is unsafe.

You are just trying to fudge the issue.
What happens in America has little relevance to this issue......and tax evasion, marital infidelity....if they meant that you were not doing your job properly then an employer might be concerned.......and any issue that meant you were compromised in your job should and would be brought up at yearly appraisals, along with some actions to remedy any performance deficits.
Perhaps if the infidelity was being committed in front of customers on the check-out of the above mentioned supermarkets then the employer would have every right to show concern?
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 17:17   #21
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Perhaps if the infidelity was being committed in front of customers on the check-out of the above mentioned supermarkets then the employer would have every right to show concern?
I'd certainly want the conveyor belt wiping down before I put my stuff on it!
Old 06-10-2014, 17:52   #22
Senior Member+

It's not a problem or is it?

Is that a euphemism Gordon.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 17:57   #23
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpick24 View Post
Is that a euphemism Gordon.
It could be.
Or a Freudian slip!
gpick24 and Accyexplorer like this.
Old 06-10-2014, 18:02   #24
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyMad View Post
Just wanted to put a word in for those who according to AccyExplorer 'just work on a till at Asda' - don't know if you've ever tried it but it's not as easy a job as he/she seems to think.Don't get me wrong, of course I'm not comparing it to someone whose work directly affects the health of others but believe me dealing with some members of the public on a daily basis can be quite stressful & would be even worse for both the employee & the customers if anyone tried to do it with a hangover from any substance whether it be alcohol or recreational drugs
Sorry if I offended you Accymad,Asda till clerk was just used as a example.
I'll put it another way,If the till/stockroom clerk of a well known supermarket store has had a cheeky joint or two over the weekend I don't think it represents any grave danger to public safety and as such it should not be any business of their employer.

password--Accyweb
Old 06-10-2014, 19:03   #25
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accyexplorer View Post
Sorry if I offended you Accymad,Asda till clerk was just used as a example.
I'll put it another way,If the till/stockroom clerk of a well known supermarket store has had a cheeky joint or two over the weekend I don't think it represents any grave danger to public safety and as such it should not be any business of their employer.
Why do supermarkets only open 5 days now?
Old 06-10-2014, 19:05   #26
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

CDT was introduced into the Army in 1998 & is running still, it's part & parcel of the job the lads & lasses are aware of it & accept it, if not, well they can leave (or get dishonourably discharged) it really is that simple.

You ask why a smoke or a bender at the weekend should be of any concern to the employer, because there's a good chance that the employee that enjoys these liberties in their own time are quite probably going to enjoy the same pleasures through the week. This then impinges on their working ability & daily commitments to their employer (sick days/ inability to function as required) so I don't see any problem with employers using a system that enables their firm & those working there peace of mind concerning their staff & colleagues.
Accyexplorer likes this.
Old 06-10-2014, 19:11   #27
Beacon of light

You just do not get it do you?

If someone is unable to do their job properly due to their recreational habits, then it is the business of the employer......working in a stockroom away from the general public still has safety issues. The general public are not the only ones who can be affected by someones inability to spot risks.
An employer has to make sure that all his workers are safe....and if the person who s still hungover from Alcohol/spliffs causes an accident because they are incapacitated from their habit.....then it is of concern to the employer.

If you like to partake of recreational drugs, then you have a responsibility to make sure that they are out of your system before you are due back at work.

Or is this just another thread where you stir the pot?
Pose a question, but if you do not like the answers you fudge the issues.

If I were still of working age(which thankfully, I am not)......I would have absolutely no qualms about my employer testing me for alcohol or drugs.
Old 06-10-2014, 19:16   #28
Beacon of light

and you call it a 'Cheeky joint' to make it lighthearted...to minimise the seriousness of such issues.
It smacks of irresponsibility....of hedonism...doing what you want, when you want and damn the consequences....because you do not accept that the consequences are very important.
Old 06-10-2014, 20:06   #29
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
You just do not get it do you?

Or is this just another thread where you stir the pot?
Pose a question, but if you do not like the answers you fudge the issues.
I get it M, and the answer to your other question is probably and I do like all the replies (even Less's)

password--Accyweb

Last edited by Neil; 07-10-2014 at 07:43.
Old 06-10-2014, 20:08   #30
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Why do supermarkets only open 5 days now?

password--Accyweb

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..