Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-05-2014, 11:16   #16
God Member

Re: Jackson's Farm, previously Dill Hall Farm

I now know where the Uncle Sam ice cream vans come from - One visits where I live every day.

From 1961 to 1967 I lived nearby on Dill Hall Lane, opposite the cemetery wall.
I remember the Jackson's horse and cart milk deliveries.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-05-2014, 11:55   #17
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I now know where the Uncle Sam ice cream vans come from - One visits where I live every day.

From 1961 to 1967 I lived nearby on Dill Hall Lane, opposite the cemetery wall.
I remember the Jackson's horse and cart milk deliveries.
Aye i do,used to keep me awake when i lived on Dill Hall after being on 12 hour nights.
mobertol likes this.
Old 17-05-2014, 14:44   #18
God Member

I used to hear them every morning too - a real feature in the area -such a shame they stopped delivering with the horse and cart.
I know Malcolm Jackson and his wife Leslie (Snape as was) - they are a nice couple - used to let my husband go and have a wander through their herd and milking parlour when we were over visiting years back and he was missing his cows here in Italy!
I used to pass Malcolm's father, Mr Jackson regularly out collecting the milk money as I went on my rounds for Littlewoods Pools every week around Dill Hall and the Milnshaw estate - a long time ago. He died some years ago now but lived at home as a paraplegic for many years after his accident - terrible shame as he was such a nice man and a well respected farmer who was ahead of his time. He was the first farmer in Lancs to get a computerised milking parlour with automatic feeding - there was a programme on TV back in the 70's which featured it!
The Jacksons have been farming there for many generations as my Grandad told me that as a boy (he was born in 1909) he used to go and swing on Mr Jackson's gate on the path down to the canal and wait for the old man to come out and run after him and his pals with a big stick!

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2014, 21:36   #19

Thanks very much Accyexplorer. All the buildings are much too late to relate to any of the Broadleys who rented the messuage but it's nice to see what came after. John Broadley's cottage must be under the grass in the fields. When he died in 1733 he had just been able to afford flags, which were stacked up outside and he ordered his sons to lay them. I'm sorry I'm late in replying as I haven't been here in a while.
Marie Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2015, 19:22   #20
MPJ

Hi Marie, still have 3 of your books. Call in at farm next time you are in the area. Best wishes Malcolm.
MPJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..