Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By ossy kid
  • 1 Post By Bob Dobson

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2017, 15:19   #1

Wink John Howard of Howard & Bullough

Hi
I am trying to trace my wife's family history in the Howard side. John Howard was a Great Great Uncle we believe.
If anyone has any information on his family history I would be very interested to hear it and his whereabouts and history prior to Howard & Bullough
Bob K 44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-11-2017, 23:41   #2
Senior Member+

Re: John Howard of Howard & Bullough

Need a little more info than that Bob, there were half a dozen John Howarths born around Hyndburn at the end of the last century. A few dates, places and names and I,m sure we can dig him up for you.
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2017, 09:46   #3
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossy kid View Post
Need a little more info than that Bob, there were half a dozen John Howarths born around Hyndburn at the end of the last century. A few dates, places and names and I,m sure we can dig him up for you.
It's HOWARD , not HOWARTH
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2017, 09:55   #4
Senior Member+

John Howard was born 1815 and died 27.4.1866 He gets two pages (84/85) in the book 'Accrington Captains of Industry' by RS Crossley (1930) No photo. He was born in Bury, the eldest of 3 children. Buried in Brunswick Cemetery, Bury.
Old 13-11-2017, 18:43   #5

Yes, This is the John Howard of Howard and Bullough fame which I failed to mention initially. Thanks for the info Bob. I will try and locate the Book you mention. He only has a short bit in Aspects of Accrington, but there is a picture.
From what you tell me I am onthe right track. I believe he had a Brother, Thomas (my wife's Great Great Grandfather) and a sister, Jane.
Old 13-11-2017, 19:53   #6
Senior Member+

Sorry about that Bob, just a typo, had it written down as Howard. Will give it a look from your info.
Bob Dobson and hilleluk like this.
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2017, 16:31   #7
Senior Member+

John left two daughters =- Martia (Mrs Downham) and Emma (Mrs Openshaw) John was the eldest of 3 children (Jane & Thomas followed him) He was born in Rock St, Bury
Bob K 44 likes this.
Old 19-11-2017, 17:57   #8

Thank you Bob, that is great information and confirms our first thoughts on the relationship.
Old 24-11-2017, 15:45   #9

Following on from this, is there any record of employees in those early day? I believe his brother Thomas may have worked for John Howard, the 1851 census shows Thomas residing with John and in 1883 Thomas is described as an 'Engineer'

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..