Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ossy kid

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-01-2016, 21:37   #1

John Wrench and Lizzie Lever

When I was a boy living near Reading, Pennsylvania, my aunt, uncle and their son would visit us at Christmas; they lived in Wayne, New Jersey. We were all from the Accrington/Clayton area.

After the grown-ups had become sufficiently "relaxed", somebody would propose a toast to "John Wrench and Lizzie Lever". I am not certain of the spellings of their last names, but this went on for many years, and each year, the laughs would be as hearty as they ever were.

I think John and Lizzie must have been from Clayton, because that's where my parents' families came from. I am wondering if anybody ever heard of them, or was this a standard toast in the Clayton area?

Thanks!
Steerforth is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-01-2016, 23:05   #2
Senior Member+

Re: John Wrench and Lizzie Lever

Purely a guess but maybe someone in the family worked or owned a garage or factory and made their fortune there and this is a tribute to their tools?
Steerforth likes this.
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2016, 00:59   #3

Yes, I thought of a similar angle with the Wrench and the Lever, but I have no idea.
Steerforth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2016, 18:21   #4

John Wrench and Lizzie Leaver lived in the Clayton and Dill Area. They both attended Sydney Street Methodist Church in Clayton.
John Wrench (with his wife and daughter) lived for many years in a house in Dill Hall Lane opposite the cemetery. Lizzie Leaver, who was a very good friend of my aunt, worked for many years at Abbot Hall (which was a Christian Guest house) near Grange over Sands. When she retired she went to live in Heysham. Lizzie's brother (who I think was called Eddie) owned a clothes shop for many years in Infant Street in Accrington.
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2016, 19:25   #5
Senior Member+

I remember the name of the Infant St shop. A Barrett's directory c 1953 would be helpful in conforming Claytonender's posting, though we'll never know what the relationship was between the two - or why the laughter broke out.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..