Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By maxthecollie

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2014, 23:18   #1

Juralac

Hi all,
OK one to get you thinking. When we were kids we played around the Dale st area at the top of Wheat st just off Blackburn road. We used to nip up a back street directly opposite the top of wheat st, that used to lead to some garages and the railway wall where we used to climb up and watch the trains go past for hours on end.
My question is ..... we used to call the little back street I mentioned earlier and the area around it... JURALAC (pronounced as it is spelt) and I have no idea why, but all the kids reffered to it and played around it. Where did the name come from?
I remember there was a small office type building called Lang Bridges on the corner of the back street and Dale st opposite the sub station (still there).
We used to say" meet you up juralac at 6 o'clock" and the like... Its bugged me all my life.
Hyndbrook House sheltered housing and a new housing estate covers the area now.

so I say again..Where did the name come from?

Phil
Karateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-03-2014, 23:45   #2
Super Moderator

Re: Juralac

There was a small factory on the other side of the railway line from there called Duralac, so I assume the name came from there. It was right at the end of Corporation Street, opposite Holbrooks/Moss Gears. Think they made some sort of industrial paint or coating.

Last edited by Wynonie Harris; 07-03-2014 at 23:52.
Wynonie Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 08:32   #3
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Seem to recall Duralac name, Think they were Paints n things? Was probably that? kids saying it can easy sound like Juralac?
Old 31-03-2014, 12:03   #4

As kids we used to play hide and seek on the Duralac, (and yes, as Cashy says, it was paints and varnishes etc). We played around the garages on Bond St at the top left of Grimshaw St. We had lots of good fun up there.
JB x

Jelly Baby

Last edited by jelly baby; 31-03-2014 at 12:07.
jelly baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 18:33   #5

Thanks for replying all, Sorry for not getting back...been away and forgot my post....Doh!

I think thats more or less cleared up a 50 year puzzle in my head..too much of a coincidence to be anything else I reckon....Duralac.....thats it

And yep Jelly Baby... hide and seek, rinny tinny tinny, hop scotch, and loads more which I forget....throwing a stone as for as you could then hiding while someone went to get it.
There were so many hiding places around Bond st and grimshaw st, Park Con, Nelson Square and the rec...garages and yards and walls....shot many a German soldier on the backstreets with my long stick....never missed a shot.
Oh and I could make the best and most realistic machine gun sound you could imagine

Glorious Days.....
Karateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 20:39   #6
Senior Member+

Because of the urinals at the bottom of Wheat St, we called in Wee Street.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 20:59   #7
Senior Member+

That was down by th underground wasn't it, Bob?
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2014, 05:39   #8
Senior Member+

Between the underground and Sacred Heart. I cannot recall one at either end of the underground, which was itself a urinal.
Old 13-05-2014, 07:30   #9
Senior Member+

We used to go through there to the Grammar School, Follwed by Big Sam Wignall ,who always used to shout at us " Hoy Laddie where's your cap"
Wynonie Harris likes this.
Old 13-05-2014, 08:39   #10
Super Moderator

Then when you got your cap out of your pocket and put it on, he's shout, "oi, laddie, raise your cap when you see a teacher!" Them were't days, eh, Frank? ��
Old 13-05-2014, 10:36   #11
Senior Member+

You'll never forget Big Sam.He was one on his own.
Old 13-05-2014, 16:10   #12
Senior Member+

He it was who aroused my interest in the Industrial Revolution. He failed with rugby though......I can find no reason behind the naming of Wheat Street.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..