Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jaysay

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-09-2013, 17:57   #1
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Just Ambling My Way Home...

... when I saw a young man covered in the sort of stuff that a Pro' cyclist might wear.

The difference was he had some kind of face mask on, I heard him in fact before I saw him, he looked as if he was about to collapse from lack of oxygen.

I really do hope he is training for something such as an Everest climb, otherwise folk are getting kinky and proud!

To see that on the street really does make me feel normal(ish).
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-09-2013, 22:00   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Just Ambling My Way Home...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
... when I saw a young man covered in the sort of stuff that a Pro' cyclist might wear.

The difference was he had some kind of face mask on, I heard him in fact before I saw him, he looked as if he was about to collapse from lack of oxygen.

I really do hope he is training for something such as an Everest climb, otherwise folk are getting kinky and proud!

Saw the very same person as I was negotiating the Dunkenhalgh roundabout, he was adjusting some white buttons on the side of his mask, I almost mounted the kerb looking at him. If you find out where they sell them let me know.
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2013, 07:51   #3
Resting in Peace

Quote:

Don't be silly Less, remember I've have met you
Old 29-09-2013, 12:50   #4
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Don't be silly Less, remember I've have met you
Yes, John however when I checked with my Doctor he said that what you had wasn't infectious, just the result of the wrong environment to grow up in, it seems that the only cure for a lifelong Tory is a strong dose of Ukip!
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2013, 13:27   #5
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
, just the result of the wrong environment to grow up in, it seems that the only cure for a lifelong Tory is a strong dose of Ukip!
You're forgetting the prior unhealthy diet of politically force fed bull there Less.
Old 30-09-2013, 08:14   #6
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
You're forgetting the prior unhealthy diet of politically force fed bull there Less.
I was never a member of a Union nor the Labour Party either, where bullshine is always served in big doses
Old 30-09-2013, 08:36   #7
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I was never a member of a Union
Ah that explains yer mentality.
Old 30-09-2013, 17:44   #8
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Ah that explains yer mentality.
No I had a very good reason cashy, When I was young I used to go with my father to Union meetings when he went to pay his dues at a place on Cannon Street, he used to take the dues for all his workmates too and he would stop for the meeting, he was a good and dedicated trade unionist. That is until he had a bad accident at work, he lost a finger, the problem was that the firm he worked for went into liquidation and were not insured. My father contacted the trade union and they told him they weren't prepared to help, seems about right. Well I must have been about seven at the time and during the summer holidays my father asked me if I wanted to go a walk with him, so we set of down Union Road, along Moscow Mill St then on Pickup Street, Charter Street onto factory bottom, to Highams Mill, right at the far end was the maintenance Joiners shop where Ken Edmonson worked, he was the local Union Rep. That day was the first time I heard my father use words of one syllable, he told Mr Edmondson exactly where he could stick his union card and precisely which shelf he could put it on. Now when I see numpties like Bob Crow on salaries larger than the Prime Minister, I think I made a good decision to shun the Unions like my father did all those years ago
Old 01-10-2013, 14:08   #9
Senior Member+

Like you Jay - had to join the ETU when I started my apprenticeship, went to a meeting to join and was then subjected to almost 2 hours of Communist dogma. Told my mentor about it the following day so he arranged for my membership of the ASEE which was TUC affiliated but totally non-political. A much more sensible idea.
Old 01-10-2013, 17:19   #10
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
Like you Jay - had to join the ETU when I started my apprenticeship, went to a meeting to join and was then subjected to almost 2 hours of Communist dogma. Told my mentor about it the following day so he arranged for my membership of the ASEE which was TUC affiliated but totally non-political. A much more sensible idea.
On the one occasion I had to have a Union Card to work, during the closed shop era, was when I worked for John Laign Construction at Shadsworth, I opted out of paying the political levy, the day I left the job I torn my card up and gave it Murphy, the area union rep, saying I wouldn't be needing it again
maxthecollie likes this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..