Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-05-2009, 13:38   #1

Keeping chickens???

Hubby and I have been investigating the idea of housing approx 4 -6 laying chickens in our rather extended garden & veg plot.

As newbies to this and having bought out Amazon on their reading material, was just wondering whether anyone local can advise on their experience.

Thanks,

Jen x
jenibrindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 30-05-2009, 14:09   #2
God Member

Re: Keeping chickens???

One point to note is that some council owned alottments do not allow the keeping of livestock - so if you have a council plot you need to check that

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2009, 15:58   #3

Thanks Margaret.

No worries there. I have a large garden with an additional plot of land (which is mine) which is twice the size of garden and houses our large climbing frame, pond and allotment area.

Checking the deeds, it is silent as to chickens but will not allow us to build a permanent structure on the land.
Old 30-05-2009, 20:45   #4
Senior Member+

Someone I work with has bought some chickens and is keeping them in her garden (in a proper enclosure).

She bought some ex-battery hens, as she felt it was important to save them. They were weird at first, as none of them had many feathers, but they soon grew back. They also had a problem with being outside at first, as they'd never seen the sky.

They don't lay every day, but every 2-3 days, which is plenty for a home venture. 6 chickens would still give you over a dozen eggs per week, even if laying only twice a week.
Old 30-05-2009, 20:50   #5
Passed away 25-11-09

You need a shed or chicken coup for them to roost in at night so that may be your "permanent structure". You should also bear in mind that hens like to scratch in the soil and can transform a hen-pen into a mudbath with consumate ease. Add in the cost of feed and the fact that they all go "off lay" from time to time and it might prove an expensive way of getting fresh eggs. Still, I like hens and it could prove a nice hobby for you. Good luck.
Old 30-05-2009, 20:52   #6

I love the idea of rescuing battery chickens. There's a place in Haslingden you can apply to. I think you have to take a minimum of three because these hens are so stressed, they're not used to being on their own, sometimes struggle to feed, and don't cope well with daylight. How sad is that?

Will have to research a decent enclosure. Why "save" a battery chicken and then force it to leave in miserable conditions?
Old 31-05-2009, 08:31   #7
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

If they will be treated more like pets, why not go for one of the more fancy variety?
Have you see the black and white Polish Bantams in Pets Corner at Rhyddings Park?
Old 31-05-2009, 19:53   #8
Resting in Peace

The next hen rescue date - Battery Hen Welfare Trust
Hope this helps.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2009, 20:22   #9
Senior Member+

daft question here - are chickens noisey to keep?

I only ask as the 'ball and chain' was dropping hints yesterday about getting a couple... and although I didnt say no - I didnt say yes either..
no hassles about keeping them - just worried about noise and neighbours...
glasgow guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2009, 21:02   #10
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasgow guy View Post
daft question here - are chickens noisey to keep?

I only ask as the 'ball and chain' was dropping hints yesterday about getting a couple... and although I didnt say no - I didnt say yes either..
no hassles about keeping them - just worried about noise and neighbours...
Not if you keep the freezer door shut.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2009, 21:45   #11
God Member

I live with several chicken flocks almost on my doorstep, and ducks, and geese.
Most flocks have roosters too ............. it is NICE!!!!!!

The 'dawn chorus' is music to my ears....beats traffic noise and singing drunks anyday

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 20:35   #12
Senior Member+

Am sure someone told me they could be quite smelly, but then again so can neighbours!
Old 03-06-2009, 00:07   #13

couple next door to me keep chickens and to be honest i dont really notice them but good job there aint a cockeral there
Old 03-06-2009, 11:32   #14
TJH

For the past 25 years my parents have owned a cottage with gardens etc so we have been able to keep chickens.

There very easy to keep, but as mentioned they will ruin any ground you put them on and you have to move the pen around to avoid to much damage to the ground.

I use the pet suppliers in Baxenden, they sell everything you could need. You will need a water holder which is unique to chickens, very simple design but you cant water then like a normal domestic creature.

A pen will set you back £45.00 (estimate) unless you make your own.

Chicken feed is dirt cheap but you should also get some oyster shell flakes, it helps with the strengh of the egg shell. The chickens just absorb a little oyster shell and it prevents soft shell on layed eggs.

Best of luck and just ask if you need any advice and ill try and help.
TJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 15:21   #15

Just wanted to update this thread and say that we got our Battery Hens from the Battery Hen Welfare Trust about two months ago.

Rather than being the scrawny, light-fearing, non-laying boilers we were expecting, they were rather healthy, entertaining girls that lay virtually every day. We only got three to keep noise and smell to a minimum. Smell isn't really a problem as we keep them clean and they make very little noise. We did check with both neighbours and they quite enjoy watching them too.

They are pretty much free range and only go into coop (which we made ourselves) to lay or sleep.

The downside absolutely has to be the amount of poop in our garden. It is everywhere. We also have one girl who is determined to be inside and makes a run for it as soon as we open patio doors or else sits there pecking on it for most of the day.

Our supplies mainly come from Wolfenden Farm and are very cheap (cheep!). We live in Ossy and Pet Warehouse has now started stocking chicken feed too.

They are the most entertaining "pets" we have ever had. The cost to keep them are minimal and we are getting three eggs a day. They have their own personalities and very much remind me of old biddies. They jabber away about anything they don't like, from the rain to the rabbit roaming in the garden.

They are also eating all the slugs in our garden and we no longer engage in the slug warfare of previous years.

So to anyone reading this and considering getting some - I'd say go for it! Very rewarding.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..