Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-09-2012, 21:41   #46
Super Moderator

Re: Lancashire accent

"James Stewart with glasses". I'll remind him of that next time he's in the Oak Lea.
Old 19-09-2012, 21:45   #47
Resting In Peace

Think this is the best thread wander we've had for a while...
Old 19-09-2012, 21:46   #48

Do you think Kate will be grateful or puzzled?
egg&chips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2012, 21:54   #49
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
I must admit I was distracted while reading the opening thread and mistook lancaster for Lancashire; however, I do believe that most linguists would place Accy very close to Lancaster on the rhoticity scale and as such Ms. katie would have much to gain from listening to me, say reciting Henry V.

Moreover, for those of you who do know me will also know that my intentions are always honourable and that any suggestion that my motive for engaging in anything other than serious academic conversation and thespian interchange with this young lady should be disregarded absolutely.
She's larn mooer i five minutes lisunin tu me recitin Albert un Lion, than oowd ever ged fro thee un yon Enry.
Top un bottom o this, sumbodys bin windin yo lot up agaiun, n tekin the wee wee

Last edited by Retlaw; 19-09-2012 at 21:58.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2012, 21:59   #50

No one has mentioned Gracie Fields and George Formby so I will.
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2012, 22:08   #51
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael1954 View Post
No one has mentioned Gracie Fields and George Formby so I will.
Since we are name dropping -

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2012, 22:15   #52

They don't make films like that anymore! Ee by heck.
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2012, 22:17   #53
Resting In Peace

Jimmy Clitheroe? Ken Platt?

Al Read? Les Dawson? but they were both from Manchester.
Old 19-09-2012, 22:18   #54
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by egg&chips View Post
Do you think Kate will be grateful or puzzled?
Good question! probably both.
Old 19-09-2012, 22:23   #55
God Member

If the part she is portraying is an upper crust lady then she needn't bother - they all had elocution lessons to 'talk posh'
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2012, 09:20   #56
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
Imagine James Stewart with glasses.
(The hair has gone now) The bottom lip is the most 'lookalikey' feature
Don't think he'll be very cleaver in the skin department now either
Old 21-09-2012, 14:35   #57

Wow -thank you so much, everyone! Amazing help! Stupidly I haven't checked back earlier - had no idea there'd be so many replies. And very amusing ones too :-)

I'll definitely check out all the links and films you guys suggest, and jane horrocks and and thora. Although I'm going to be voicing young, twenty-something female lancastrians, and I'm wondering whether there's been a change in the accent since thora's time?

Oh and yes, I am indeed female! Does it say male on my profile?? But I'm not, regrettably, kate winslet - or cate blanchett or kate beckinsale for that matter.

Thanks so much again for all the help, and for making me laugh :-)
ktkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2012, 14:41   #58
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktkat View Post
Wow -thank you so much, everyone! Amazing help! Stupidly I haven't checked back earlier - had no idea there'd be so many replies. And very amusing ones too :-)

I'll definitely check out all the links and films you guys suggest, and jane horrocks and and thora. Although I'm going to be voicing young, twenty-something female lancastrians, and I'm wondering whether there's been a change in the accent since thora's time?

Oh and yes, I am indeed female! Does it say male on my profile?? But I'm not, regrettably, kate winslet - or cate blanchett or kate beckinsale for that matter.

Thanks so much again for all the help, and for making me laugh :-)
will we get to hear it?
churchfcrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2012, 14:51   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchfcrules View Post
will we get to hear it?
It's for an audiobook - I'll let you know when it's out! Or maybe I can post a sample online and give you the link. But I'd be very nervous as you're all the real thing! But I think it's important to try and get these things right and not just do an approximation or a sort of 'general northern' that a lot of actors seem to do, so I'm going to try my best...

Ps flashy – oranges are not the only fruit is a great suggestion – thank you. Does Charlotte Coleman’s accent sound authentic in it? I think her natural accent was a sort of London one… Also, I’ve googled Nature of the Beast but only found an American film?

Mick – I’ve found a programme called Trouble on the Estate – is that the one you mean?

Susie123 – that’s great. Thanks

Oh and yes, I am actually a transexual thora hird clone
ktkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2012, 15:28   #60
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktkat View Post
It's for an audiobook - I'll let you know when it's out! Or maybe I can post a sample online and give you the link. But I'd be very nervous as you're all the real thing! But I think it's important to try and get these things right and not just do an approximation or a sort of 'general northern' that a lot of actors seem to do, so I'm going to try my best...

Ps flashy – oranges are not the only fruit is a great suggestion – thank you. Does Charlotte Coleman’s accent sound authentic in it? I think her natural accent was a sort of London one… Also, I’ve googled Nature of the Beast but only found an American film?

Mick – I’ve found a programme called Trouble on the Estate – is that the one you mean?

Susie123 – that’s great. Thanks

Oh and yes, I am actually a transexual thora hird clone

Nature of the Beast (1988) - Film Review from Film4
churchfcrules is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..