Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-09-2012, 02:24   #1

Lancashire accent

Hi there

This is probably a strange request, but I'm an actress and have a job coming up in which I have to do a Lancaster accent. I was wondering whether there are any films or TV programmes set in Lancaster (or somewhere nearby) that I could watch and have a listen to the accent? I'm a londoner, so a bit far away... Or maybe there are famous actors/comedians from the area who I could look up on youtube, just to hear them speak?

Any help greatly appreciated! I want to make sure I get the accent right!

Thanks in advance

Katie
ktkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-09-2012, 03:28   #2
God Member

Re: Lancashire accent

There are some sound archives of regional accents on line but you would hear a better sample by listening to Thora Hird as she acted in The Last of the Summer Wine.

She was born and raised in Morecambe (next door to Lancaster).

There are very subtle differences in Lancashire accents as you move from one town to another but only a native would notice them. To get near as authentic as possible, use Thora as your guide.
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2012, 06:42   #3
God Member

Julie Hesmondhalgh (sp?)
Vicky Entwistle
Dominic Brunt

all came from Accrington
Old 19-09-2012, 08:30   #4
Resting in Peace

Whistle Down the Wind, may help
Old 19-09-2012, 08:58   #5
God Member

Or 'Nature of the beast'
or 'Oranges aren't the only fruit'
Old 19-09-2012, 09:07   #6
Resting in Peace

or the latest program about shadsworth
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2012, 09:18   #7
Senior Member+

cant think of the differences of a lancaster accent to an accy one, when i travel up and down country, people think i sound like peter kay, however you and i know that its totally different accents, but to rest of country sounds same.

how many times do you watch a film, and they are supposed to be irish, and have a scottish accent, or vice versa, or families and one is northern irish and the other is southern.
churchfcrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2012, 09:20   #8
Senior Member+

Just don't think you will pick up a Lancashire accent by wandering around Accrington.

You will have more chance of hearing third world or Eastern Europe languages.
Old 19-09-2012, 09:40   #9
Resting In Peace

Try this, also parts 3 and 4 of the same series. This lady is a Morecambe native with a typical accent of the area. She is not an actress and has lived here all her life.

The actress Cherylee Houston who plays Izzy Arnstrong in Coronation Street is from Morecambe. I'm told she is trying to adopt a Manchester accent but it still sounds Morecambe to me. You could always try Eric Morecambe of course!

I've lived in Morecambe for five years but I'm originally from Accrington and have lived in the south and the midlands for most of my life and as Margaret says there are subtle differences across the county that people may not notice but it's good to get it right! Accrington and Blackburn ARE different from Morecambe/Lancaster believe me!

Last edited by susie123; 19-09-2012 at 09:43.
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2012, 10:41   #10
Beacon of light

the accents are different in Burnley and Darwen too...all these places have their own little nuances,phraes and intonations, which it is easy to overlook, unless you come from the place that is being portrayed that is.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2012, 10:49   #11
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
the accents are different in Burnley and Darwen too...all these places have their own little nuances,phraes and intonations, which it is easy to overlook, unless you come from the place that is being portrayed that is.
i doubt any actor or actress will get an accent, "pinned down", michelle collins, at the moment, got loads of stick over the accent, but loads think its a good lancashire accent, and how many yorkshire accents are there?

guy who plays mr dingle, is from burnley, and sounds exactly the same, had a pint with him a few times, (we were once out in burnley me n the wife n 1 of her friends, we saw him in a pub down town, and the wifes m8, had had a few, marched upto him and said "and does nelly know your in here?", we quickly ushered her away, and left lol)
Old 19-09-2012, 13:01   #12
Beacon of light

Yes, you are right.......many accents are lumped together as being 'Lancashire' and yes they are...but few people realise there is a variance in the accents of local towns.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2012, 13:17   #13
God Member

I think it's more about local dialect
Old 19-09-2012, 14:04   #14

How about watching Jane Horrocks in her role as "Bubble" in the early episodes of Absolutely Fabulous.
MoreJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2012, 14:11   #15
Senior Member+

Or find a recording of alfred wainwright, he was from Blackburn and moved to Kendal, more up that way

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..